Status
Not open for further replies.

LexiF

Fan
Reactions
I cannot wait to see the same multi stage hybrid system (8GR-FXS) in the LC, in the 4IS!! It will blow the competition away. The economy achiveable and the power without the high tax (company) will be a huge hit. IMHO the 4IS is going to be a more important product over the LS, LC and ES. RWD/AWD with more displacement choices, more attractive hybrid power trains, more luxury and sport appeal, more capable car overall and with a much bigger market then models already mentioned, could potentially seriously draw in much, much more customers!

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
I cannot wait to see the same multi stage hybrid system (8GR-FXS) in the LC, in the 4IS!! It will blow the competition away. The economy achiveable and the power without the high tax (company) will be a huge hit. IMHO the 4IS is going to be a more important product over the LS, LC and ES. RWD/AWD with more displacement choices, more attractive hybrid power trains, more luxury and sport appeal, more capable car overall and with a much bigger market then models already mentioned, could potentially seriously draw in much, much more customers!

Will it be using GA-L platform from current LS / LC?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Somebody went to the wiki page and edited it on Aug 26th to show the 2019 IS using the TNGA-L platform. Is this accurate?

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Toyota_New_Global_Architecture
Depends on who did the Wikipedia editing. If it's a knowledgeable insider such as Carmaker1 or a Lexus insider, then, yes, I'd say it's credible. Also, those dates on the Wikipedia article are calendar year, NOT model year. Thus, by 2019 they mean calendar year (2020 model year).

On the other hand, the most recent information posted by @Carmaker1 on these forums suggests that the 4th-gen IS will enter production in July 2020 as a 2021 model year vehicle.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
Depends on who did the Wikipedia editing. If it's a knowledgeable insider such as Carmaker1 or a Lexus insider, then, yes, I'd say it's credible. Also, those dates on the Wikipedia article are calendar year, NOT model year. Thus, by 2019 they mean calendar year (2020 model year).

On the other hand, the most recent information posted by @Carmaker1 suggests that the 4th-gen IS will enter production in July 2020 as a 2021 model year vehicle.

Right... I missed the fact that it's calendar year. So we'll likely see the 4th gen appear in dealerships towards the end of 2020, or 1Q 2021. Can't wait... I'm full of anticipation for that TTV6, new platform, and hopefully an updated transmission instead of the 6 speed that is currently in all Canadian AWD models.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I am hoping Carmaker1 is correct in that two hybrid versions are going to be offered for the next gen IS. I definitely will not want to finance a new car that isn't a hybrid, PHEV or BEV.

Of course if I go used, then I won't mind a pure ICEV as I've already saved enough on depreciation alone.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Somebody went to the wiki page and edited it on Aug 26th to show the 2019 IS using the TNGA-L platform. Is this accurate?

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Toyota_New_Global_Architecture

No, it is hearsay really and was removed accordingly. Sorry

On the other hand, the most recent information posted by @Carmaker1 on these forums suggests that the 4th-gen IS will enter production in July 2020 as a 2021 model year vehicle.

Yes, I would ignore that. That's an unregistered user, whose edit has been removed since. Wikipedia is a war zone, but I won't get into that.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Color me skeptical about that rendering. I don't see the 4IS's greenhouse having a third side window between the C and D pillars (unless the IS grows to Crown and what would've been 5GS size). I don't expect 4IS to have such separate "Nike swoosh" daytime running lights as the current 3IS when other newer models (LC, 5LS, 7ES, UX, even RC facelift) have been moving the DRLs and main headlights closer together, or even as a single unit. Finally, that broad horizontal bar in the spindle grille bisected by the "circle L" logo reminds me too much of the latest Toyota RAV4. It certainly doesn't belong in a Lexus car.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Color me skeptical about that rendering. I don't see the 4IS's greenhouse having a third side window between the C and D pillars (unless the IS grows to Crown and what would've been 5GS size). I don't expect 4IS to have such separate "Nike swoosh" daytime running lights as the current 3IS when other newer models (LC, 5LS, 7ES, UX, even RC facelift) have been moving the DRLs and main headlights closer together, or even as a single unit. Finally, that broad horizontal bar in the spindle grille bisected by the "circle L" logo reminds me too much of the latest Toyota RAV4. It certainly doesn't belong in a Lexus car.

I agree, this rendering/sketch certainly looks like they took a 4GS body and grafted elements onto it. At this point in time, I believe the most accurate representation we have so far is the Mag-X sketch.

I partially agree with those horizontal bars, however Lexus has received a lot of mixed feedback about the styling of the refreshed 3IS. Those horizontal bars at the corners would greatly help reduce the visual impact of the vast gaping expanses the refreshed bumper has until the full redesign comes.

Also I fully agree with Carmaker1 that Wikipedia is a warzone and truly a lot of information from Wikipedia cannot be trusted, simply due to the nature of what Wikipedia is.

Last edited:

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I am very much looking forward to the new IS. It is a car I am potentially looking to as my next car and my first Lexus!

Me too. Used IS hold their values well here in Canada so maybe it makes sense to just wait for the next gen to arrive and then decide. Also, there likely will not be any full range ACC for the 3IS, while the 2019 Corolla hatchback has the TSS 2.0. Crossing my fingers that a hybrid version (or two) will arrive in Canada.

I found this and saved it on my google drive:

Sakura

Fan
Reactions
I was actually chatting about the 4G Lexus IS with my friend today at work.

And this is what we think might happen:
For the 4G IS, we can probably expect the new "L swoosh" or "L check" to be inside the headlight housing. I'm basing this assumption off of the current trends of designs. IE: UX and ES.

We can probably also expect the new GA-L platform, Apple Car Play/Android Auto, Amazon Alexa, Enform 2.0, optional bigger screen (12in), LFA Gauge 2.0, LS steering wheel and possibly the LC seats as F-Sport seats (like the ES) as biggest highlights of the model.

HUD and 360 Camera is probably also expected. But I think HUD will be an optional extra and 360 Camera will only be on the luxury model of the IS and not the F-Sport. I believe this because they did this to the 2019 Lexus ES.
I think Lexus is following this trend of introducing more equipment or features into the "luxury" models of the car while holding out features on the F-Sport till later in the design year. Sorta like how the 3G Lexus IS F-Sport didn't get memory seats till 2018.

Toyota (Lexus) will 100% do something capitalistic and remove some "known" features that you can get on the 3G IS F-Sport and you won't be able to get on the early years of the 4G IS F-Sport. IE: When they introduced the 3G IS F-Sport, they took away memory seats (something the 2G F-Sport had).

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I was actually chatting about the 4G Lexus IS with my friend today at work.

And this is what we think might happen:
For the 4G IS, we can probably expect the new "L swoosh" or "L check" to be inside the headlight housing. I'm basing this assumption off of the current trends of designs. IE: UX and ES.

We can probably also expect the new GA-L platform, Apple Car Play/Android Auto, Amazon Alexa, Enform 2.0, optional bigger screen (12in), LFA Gauge 2.0, LS steering wheel and possibly the LC seats as F-Sport seats (like the ES) as biggest highlights of the model.

HUD and 360 Camera is probably also expected. But I think HUD will be an optional extra and 360 Camera will only be on the luxury model of the IS and not the F-Sport. I believe this because they did this to the 2019 Lexus ES.
I think Lexus is following this trend of introducing more equipment or features into the "luxury" models of the car while holding out features on the F-Sport till later in the design year. Sorta like how the 3G Lexus IS F-Sport didn't get memory seats till 2018.

Toyota (Lexus) will 100% do something capitalistic and remove some "known" features that you can get on the 3G IS F-Sport and you won't be able to get on the early years of the 4G IS F-Sport. IE: When they introduced the 3G IS F-Sport, they took away memory seats (something the 2G F-Sport had).
I don’t understand why they take things off of the F Sport. I understand luxuary and all that but I have two F sports because I like how they look better. I still want the luxuary memory seats and 360 camera and all that just with my car looking better. Do other brands do this? I mean if I was getting an M5 I would get the same luxuary as a regular 5 with just a better looking and faster car rt?

Status
Not open for further replies.