Reviews & News: The Lexus LC 500

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I don’t know why it would seem desirable to put that engine in this car. That engine seems a bit lackluster and the HP and, especially, torque numbers, seem a bit misleading if not outright overrated.

Almost all of the major media outlets that did real testing came no where near to what Lexus claimed that engine could do.

This car needs a legitimate 500 HP or at least one that can propel this thing faster than a Kia Stinger.

Well, but when rival "beats the Lexus with xHP less" it also is not fair when it is underrated. Like the McLaren 720S making +800 PS.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
A big reason why Lexus needs the LC in its lineup: enthusiast credibility.

There are still biases, but fantastic cars like the LC is helping to change that.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/06/b...es-s-class-vs-lexus-lc-time-compare-big-boys/
Worth noting: At the end of that Carscoops BMW 8-Series vs Mercedes S-Class Coupe vs Lexus LC commentary/comparison is a survey asking their readers which of the 3 they like best. The results (as of this writing):

Lexus LC: 52%
BMW 8-Series: 26%
Mercedes S-Class Coupe: 22%

Levi

Expert
Reactions
And this comment that sums up my feelings: "More often than not - when I see someone in a Mercedes or BMW - I assume they know nothing about cars. They just bought a badge."

mikeavelli

Reactions
All I know is everyone I go with the car it breaks necks and people think it's an exotic. They are shocked that is a Lexus or they think it's the LFA.

Getting gas becomes a 30 minute session as people walk up to talk about it.

There is some disconnect here and I think it has to do with badge whores who just can't seem themselves in a Lexus no matter how good it is. And I'm not against that I totally get it. Still an uphill battle.

IMG_1100.JPG

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
There is some disconnect here and I think it has to do with badge whores who just can't seem themselves in a Lexus no matter how good it is. And I'm not against that I totally get it. Still an uphill battle.

It's totally badge whoring. If you Photoshopped a Benz front end onto it people would sign over their life savings on the spot.

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
It’s not that, it’s just that this car is just not fast.

I’m not talking track fast, I’m talking about what 99% of the people who buy these cars want in fast: that shallow but fun and amusing stop-light pedal smash that they can do at ANY TIME, ON ANY STREET.

That’s why 0-60 times are important. It’s what most people will do with these cars 99% of time. Track people are the exception, not the rule. I don’t go to track, I could care less how fast it can lap the ring. I want something that throws me into the back of my seat and beat a ton of cars off the line.

0-60 in 4 seconds is what makes running errands fun. It what makes just simple old driving around fun! It allows us to make the most of these cars, even if only for a brief moment, on normal streets. I’m not talking breaking the law moron driving, but just that occasional escape from the stop light to 60 is literally worth the price of admission in itself.

No amount of hey I can track well but I’m slow will influence most people who buy these cars. It’s all about drag racing and Lexus’ fails in this department in spades. They DO NOT GET IT and they never will because their engines are all crap.

Drive a car that can legitimately hit 60 in under 4 seconds and you’ll see.

That’s why the LC will not sell well.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Rhambo, shouldn't you be on the Audi CEO Arrested thread? :)

Also, stoplight drag racing is exactly illegal moron driving. Ask anyone who's been ticketed for it.

You're still missing that people spending near 6 figures on a car don't do that. It's uncouth, gauche, lower-class, chav, Mustang driver, whatever you want to call it.

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
Well I’m sorry if you don’t like my reasoning, that’s just the way it is in my opinion.

Most people won’t admit to it, but it is what it is and again, that’s why—in my opinion—the LC won’t sell well.

It looks exotic? Who cares if it isn’t fast? In fact that’s even worse, all bark and no bite.

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
There's a reason companies make and people buy cars with way more horsepower than they need. Is it logical? No. But it's like that old adage, it's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. It's the reason Lexus' sedans and coupes continue to plummet in sales in my humble opinion.

Cars are passion for a lot of people, except for the appliance maker Lexus I guess..

If you want to raise your nose to these enthusiasts and ignore them, so be it. Lexus is doing precisely that and the results speak for themselves with slow grandpa cars and plummeting sales...

Rhambo, shouldn't you be on the Audi CEO Arrested thread? :)

Also, stoplight drag racing is exactly illegal moron driving. Ask anyone who's been ticketed for it.

You're still missing that people spending near 6 figures on a car don't do that. It's uncouth, gauche, lower-class, chav, Mustang driver, whatever you want to call it.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Overrated engine slow straightline speed blah blah blah. Why do you guys still insist on reasoning with him? You do realize it is impossible to change someone's opinion through reasoning on the Internet right?

I know, but it grates to be lectured by someone who drives a hotrod Passat with questionable emissions compliance.

mikeavelli

Reactions
It’s not that, it’s just that this car is just not fast.

I’m not talking track fast, I’m talking about what 99% of the people who buy these cars want in fast: that shallow but fun and amusing stop-light pedal smash that they can do at ANY TIME, ON ANY STREET.

That’s why 0-60 times are important. It’s what most people will do with these cars 99% of time. Track people are the exception, not the rule. I don’t go to track, I could care less how fast it can lap the ring. I want something that throws me into the back of my seat and beat a ton of cars off the line.

0-60 in 4 seconds is what makes running errands fun. It what makes just simple old driving around fun! It allows us to make the most of these cars, even if only for a brief moment, on normal streets. I’m not talking breaking the law moron driving, but just that occasional escape from the stop light to 60 is literally worth the price of admission in itself.

No amount of hey I can track well but I’m slow will influence most people who buy these cars. It’s all about drag racing and Lexus’ fails in this department in spades. They DO NOT GET IT and they never will because their engines are all crap.

Drive a car that can legitimately hit 60 in under 4 seconds and you’ll see.

That’s why the LC will not sell well.

Badge has most to do with it. Pricing is 100k for a "Lexus". Lexus knew it was an uphill battle and they are in it for the long haul. It has 471hp which is more than enough for most. The car is fast. It just isn't OMG fast.

But what do I know. I only work these OEM's, drive all these cars and work with this clientele on a daily basis. Lol

IMG_7888.JPG

Levi

Expert
Reactions
If you want to raise your nose to these enthusiasts and ignore them, so be it. Lexus is doing precisely that and the results speak for themselves with slow grandpa cars and plummeting sales...

Which enthusiasts? Badge whores? Horsepower fans without skills but mega ego?

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
Pricing definitely and certainty plays a role. I agree it’s way too expensive for what you get, especially considering the type of cars available at that price range.

$100k for an exotic-looking car that can’t beat a Kia stinger doesn’t sound very appealing.

Since the bar has been raised so much, I’m not even sure if it would sell well at $75k considering what is available at that range.

How can this car overcome that “badge” deficiency if it can’t even beat the competition in an important speed element? It can’t even come close. You can’t blame people for not buying Lexus’ because of badge envy when the car is deficient in certain key elements. But keep believing that I guess...

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I will admit that I do envy those that have money to waste for nothing other than a badge.

mikeavelli

Reactions
$100k for an exotic-looking car that can’t beat a Kia stinger doesn’t sound very appealing.

We can also say any 100k car with less HP than a Dodge Demon and slower. I'm not a total fan of that argument. I totally think more power or a new engine would help that much. I just don't think it would have added 300 more people a month to sales. This market cares about badge first and Lexus has an uphill battle in this area with the Europeans. The LC is a great first effort in the 100k coupe market and hopefully things pick up and reach their target.

I bring the LC everywhere and to a ton of luxury/exotic events. It is usually the only Lexus there. It gets more attention than most since it is rare (and modified). So imagine going to a luxury event and 95% of the cars are Euro with a handful of Caddy's and a Lexus or two. Lexus has an uphill battle.

Honestly it is very eye opening when you go to an event and there are twenty new model Lambos, Ferrari's, McLarens and one or two LC's lol.