7th Generation (2019+) Lexus ES (250, 260, 300h, 350) Megathread

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
So does this mean US gets the ES350 later than the 300h? The 300h will be delivered in August in Asia.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
So does this mean US gets the ES350 later than the 300h? The 300h will be delivered in August in Asia.

Nope. ES will be launched few months later than in Asia. They have to stage the launch to get enough produced.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Videos: The 2019 Lexus ES Sedan Goes Global

18-05-09-lexus-es-global-videos.jpg

Videos in Dutch, French, and Chinese.
View the original article post

Last edited:

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
When I have time I want to try to explain some tidbits that was mentioned in the Chinese video.

Really interesting thing about the ES is how long the wheel base and interior rear space is, perfect mass market premium sedan for China, perhaps the sales numbers they'll throw down in China with the ES might easily dwarf global numbers for the GS (not even counting EU), and thats how they justified the new ES and ending GS sales in Europe.

What really perplexes me is what is going to fill the MSRP gap between ES and LS? Will the ES just start low and gain tons of optional features to bring it to 55k-ish?

Will the GS get refreshed again to try to extend sales life?

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
When I have time I want to try to explain some tidbits that was mentioned in the Chinese video.

Really interesting thing about the ES is how long the wheel base and interior rear space is, perfect mass market premium sedan for China, perhaps the sales numbers they'll throw down in China with the ES might easily dwarf global numbers for the GS (not even counting EU), and thats how they justified the new ES and ending GS sales in Europe.

What really perplexes me is what is going to fill the MSRP gap between ES and LS? Will the ES just start low and gain tons of optional features to bring it to 55k-ish?

No they couldn't justify even a minor refresh for the GS. It will head to its grave after this model year perhaps.

I can't imagine how dominting the ES could become once the drop in import tax in China kicks in.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

obviously something new will be slotted where GS is, maybe the rumored 4 door coupe GS?

Otherwise, right now we do not see anything about ES going up in pricing significantly. They are not changing its market position, they are adding F-Sport model for different buyer set and also upping everything else, but in the end, it has same market position as before.

Also GS continues for 2019 MY in the US. For Europe they would have to do some re-engineering to add particulate filters i guess and they decided against it. In RU, GS-F stays.

Levi

Expert
Reactions

Gaps might not really exist in line-ups. If without GS all potential GS buyers settle for the LS (which is now cheaper, sportier and spacier) or for the ES that is also cheaper has offers all that GS customers wanted (except RWD and AWD for now), there are no free GS buyers, or they could settle for sportier IS if that is their priority, but LS is too big. It happens that gap filling simply dilutes other sales in the lineup, without increasing total brand sales.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Gaps might not really exist in line-ups. If without GS all potential GS buyers settle for the LS (which is now cheaper, sportier and spacier) or for the ES that is also cheaper has offers all that GS customers wanted (except RWD and AWD for now), there are no free GS buyers, or they could settle for sportier IS if that is their priority, but LS is too big. It happens that gap filling simply dilutes other sales in the lineup, without increasing total brand sales.

LS is not cheaper... maybe in your part of Europe? Otherwise when talking about USA as baseline, it is $80k vehicle, while ES tops out at $48k loaded.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
LS is not cheaper... maybe in your part of Europe? Otherwise when talking about USA as baseline, it is $80k vehicle, while ES tops out at $48k loaded.

I was comparing to last generation LS, and in Western Europe, because since 2013 the only LS sold was LS 600h at + € 120K if I recall correctly. The hybrid is cheaper than the turbo now, last generation it was the contrary.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
LC inspired door handles. Nice, sorta but not really leaving the exclusivity to the top line models.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Anything thats not the F Sport interior :tired_face::tired_face:

unfortunately we, very limited, europeans like black on black and hence them showing it... i certainly hope there will have more options in Europe for F-Sport.