Introducing the 2018 Lexus LS F SPORT

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Damn, I never realized that the trim was the same chrome! Looks a lot darker probably because of the lighting.

I just feel like F Sport needs to be reinvented as krew said, or the package shouldn't have the letter F in the name at all. I know many people that are confused between F and F Sport, and some people even buy F Sports thinking they are full performance vehicles when really they only add sporty looks and slightly better handling and driving experience. F Sport should become a mid-performance model so it can have a significant advantage over the regular model while not as much power or price as the full F model. If this package is going to stick with this formula please just call it something else. Just bring back the name L-Tuned.

Lexus' F-Sport is considered standard when M-Sport and AMG sport packages offer the same type of features only with more options in terms of customization of the interior.

I don't think Lexus is straying from the pack by offering only cosmetic and handling upgrades. HP boost may or may not help them stick out from the group.

Its funny, LS F-sport is the only Lexus in which I don't prefer the F-sport version, in fact it doesn't really look too much different and appears like its only some "black out" package. I like the non-sport LS, that thing is a beauty.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Packaging of the F-Sport models has always been unfortunate so let's hope they have fixed it this time. I also find unfortunate they want more money for actual performance improvements on performance trim. Do you know if that performance package is standard on international LS F-Sport (like how GS450h F-Sport had rear steering standard) or it's an option across the globe like announced in US?

As I noted earlier in this thread, the F SPORT Handling Package (Variable Gear Ratio Steering, Active Rear Steering, Active Stabilizer, and sport-tuned air suspension with rapid height function) is optional on U.S.-market RWD LS models but seemingly standard on those outside the U.S. (or, presumably, Japan and Europe).

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Lexus' F-Sport is considered standard when M-Sport and AMG sport packages offer the same type of features only with more options in terms of customization of the interior.

I don't think Lexus is straying from the pack by offering only cosmetic and handling upgrades. HP boost may or may not help them stick out from the group.
This. And it's not just BMW and Mercedes. Audi has cosmetic and handling upgrade S-Line packages for those that don't want to go the full-on S and RS route. Ditto Cadillac, where similar V-Sport packages are starting to spread throughout the lineup as an intermediate step to the full-on V models.

The big question is whether Lexus is OK with just a 2-step performance strategy (F SPORT cosmetic and handling upgrades, then more powerful F models) or if they need intermediate steps like Audi (S-Line cosmetic and handling upgrades, then S for more power and further handling boosts, and finally RS for even more power and handling) or Mercedes (which in some lines is offering full-on "43" and "63" AMG models above the AMG Sport cosmetic and handling packs).

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
A bit later than Japan and the U.S., the Lexus Europe Newsroom today posted its own LS F SPORT news release ( http://newsroom.lexus.eu/2018-lexus-ls-f-sport-debuts-in-new-york/ ). I also located the semi-hidden Canadian news release ( http://media.lexus.ca/releases/2018-lexus-ls-500-f-sport-makes-global-debut-in-new-york ).

As I suspected, Europe follows Japan's lead in offering Heat Blue / Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 available on LS F SPORT. The U.S. is not offering it, and Canada remains silent on the subject.

As to the so-called Handling Package, it gets a bit convoluted, since content and availability varies by market. Further complicating things, not all markets offer all the gas-only / hybrid / RWD / AWD combos. Here are my conclusions:

JAPAN
Offers all 4 F SPORT possibilities (LS 500 RWD, LS 500 AWD, LS 500h RWD, LS 500h AWD).
Only the LS 500 F SPORT (RWD gas model) is equipped with LDH (Variable Gear Ratio Steering and Dynamic Rear Steering), Active Stabilizer, and sport-tuned air suspension with rapid height function as standard equipment.

EUROPE
Offers 3 F SPORT possibilities (LS 500 AWD, LS 500h RWD, LS 500h AWD ). LS 500 gas-only RWD will not be available in Europe, and I wouldn't be surprised if a good number of individual European markets only offered LS 500h.
Only the LS 500h F SPORT (RWD hybrid) is equipped as standard with LDH (Variable Gear Ratio Steering and Dynamic Rear Steering) and sport-tuned air suspension with rapid height function as standard equipment. (No Active Stabilizer on European LS 500h F SPORT RWD)

UNITED STATES
Offers all 4 F SPORT possibilities (LS 500 RWD, LS 500 AWD, LS 500h RWD, LS 500h AWD).
Only the LS 500 F SPORT (RWD gas model) is available with LDH (Variable Gear Ratio Steering and Dynamic Rear Steering), Active Stabilizer, and sport-tuned air suspension with rapid height function as part of the optional Handling Package.

CANADA
F SPORT models are not available with the 500h hybrid powertrain. Thus, it's only LS 500 RWD and LS 500 AWD.
Only the AWD model is equipped with LDH (Variable Gear Ratio Steering and Dynamic Rear Steering), Active Stabilizer, and sport-tuned air suspension with rapid height function as standard equipment.

In a final trivia note, the red interior is referred to as Circuit Red in Japan and the U.S., Flare Red in Canada and simply Red in Europe (there's an 80's band in there somewhere ;) ). Again, I'd expect individual European markets to come up with 10 gazillion different names for their red interiors.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Notice how there are no pics of the rear seat. Despite being a sporty car, it should still be a luxurious saloon that can deliver passengers in just as much comfort as the regular model.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
Ultrasonic blue mica is a great color. I can only imagine that the decision not to have it in the US market is driven by market research, but it is disappointing. Its exclusion in the US is curious though. Is it not High Class enough for the USA? It's probably just the bottom line.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
Notice how there are no pics of the rear seat. Despite being a sporty car, it should still be a luxurious saloon that can deliver passengers in just as much comfort as the regular model.

Yes, if you're paying what I expect one will pay for a luxury sedan like the LS you expect ultra comfort for back seat passengers. This is the Lexus LS tradition. Complete comfort all around. It isn't good if the LS Fsport skimps on back seat luxury

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Packaging of the F-Sport models has always been unfortunate so let's hope they have fixed it this time. I also find unfortunate they want more money for actual performance improvements on performance trim. Do you know if that performance package is standard on international LS F-Sport (like how GS450h F-Sport had rear steering standard) or it's an option across the globe like announced in US?

making it standard does not lower the price, basically then base price is increased by the price of that option. This is how they do it in Europe due to lower sales, so most models end up crazy expensive.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
This. And it's not just BMW and Mercedes. Audi has cosmetic and handling upgrade S-Line packages for those that don't want to go the full-on S and RS route. Ditto Cadillac, where similar V-Sport packages are starting to spread throughout the lineup as an intermediate step to the full-on V models.

The big question is whether Lexus is OK with just a 2-step performance strategy (F SPORT cosmetic and handling upgrades, then more powerful F models) or if they need intermediate steps like Audi (S-Line cosmetic and handling upgrades, then S for more power and further handling boosts, and finally RS for even more power and handling) or Mercedes (which in some lines is offering full-on "43" and "63" AMG models above the AMG Sport cosmetic and handling packs).

well, if we are discussing exclusivity of brand like some people here are, then BMW, Audi and MB are dilluting that a lot more than Lexus with their AMG Sport, M Sport and S line packages, because customers can order only a small part of the package.

I rarely ever see any of these vehicles with full options included as Lexus does in F-Sport... it is very rare. So is that good or bad? People have C200d "AMG", and it might mean just exterior pack (usually).

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
As always, it looks sort of drab and flat in photos but great in motion (video).

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Only the LS 500h F SPORT (RWD hybrid) is equipped as standard with LDH (Variable Gear Ratio Steering and Dynamic Rear Steering) and sport-tuned air suspension with rapid height function as standard equipment. (No Active Stabilizer on European LS 500h F SPORT RWD)

So is this "rapid height function" a stilted way of describing something like the Benz Magic Body Control? Or does it mean the LS will be low-rider jump capable from the factory?

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
There is a view of the back seat at the end of the video

Feels like Lexus is getting a lot of hate lately from Lexus community (mostly the same anti-spindle tirades) but I have to reiterate, the LS is beautiful, those DRLs are on point!

Even though I said in a previous post that the non F-sport looks better than the F-sport, its still awesome. I'm a spindle fanboy and HAPPY that Lexus chose the correct strategy to target younger, more style/fashion-conscious buyers.

Would like to see Circuit Red interior in the LC instead of the cringe-worthy Rioja red.

Last edited:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Received some clarification on the gunmetal trim - the differentiating trim pieces are:
  • Spindle grille surround is a darker chrome
  • The trim on the rocker panel flowing past the rear wheel is a black plating
  • The trim above the license plate on the trunk lid is also a black plating
So I suppose the window surround will remain shiny chrome.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
So is this "rapid height function" a stilted way of describing something like the Benz Magic Body Control? Or does it mean the LS will be low-rider jump capable from the factory?
CjBI_z.gif

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm curious if everyone hating on the TTV6 has any concept of torque versus horsepower in a 4,300 lb car the size of a city block?

Plain and simple: the 2UR-GSE would not have been the right engine for the LS. Screaming to 7,100 RPM redline for 389lb-ft of torque is out of place and character for a car like this, and it would have been dogged by both reviewers and prospective buyers.

If Lexus developed another, say, 4.0L V8 with a turbocharger, maybe I'd be on board with the V8 argument. With this V6, 443lb-ft produced much lower in the rev range is going to make the LS feel faster, smoother and more powerful than if it had the 2UR.

The V8 is the right engine for the LC 500 - a coupe with sporting intentions, where someone might want to wring it out to redline when they can. For a full size luxury car, you want torque down low... and that's something Lexus really hasn't had since the 3UZ-FE. I still believe that this V6 will be a great engine and perfect fit for the LS. I wouldn't be surprised if it actually ends up faster on the bottom end than the LC 500.

Benny1908

Fan
Reactions
I'm curious if everyone hating on the TTV6 has any concept of torque versus horsepower in a 4,300 lb car the size of a city block?

Plain and simple: the 2UR-GSE would not have been the right engine for the LS. Screaming to 7,100 RPM redline for 389lb-ft of torque is out of place and character for a car like this, and it would have been dogged by both reviewers and prospective buyers.

If Lexus developed another, say, 4.0L V8 with a turbocharger, maybe I'd be on board with the V8 argument. With this V6, 443lb-ft produced much lower in the rev range is going to make the LS feel faster, smoother and more powerful than if it had the 2UR.

The V8 is the right engine for the LC 500 - a coupe with sporting intentions, where someone might want to wring it out to redline when they can. For a full size luxury car, you want torque down low... and that's something Lexus really hasn't had since the 3UZ-FE. I still believe that this V6 will be a great engine and perfect fit for the LS. I wouldn't be surprised if it actually ends up faster on the bottom end than the LC 500.

The LS500 will surprise many hater on their first test driving...
The competitors also killing the V8 slowly, it's a global thing and I'm sure soon there will be V6 and V6/I6 Hybrids almost everywhere. Same happened here in europe with the big V8 diesel engines. Now the only V8 diesel is the VW/Audi 4.0 with electric turbochargers but the only reason this engine can exist is that they finished the development before the diesel scandal.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
With this V6, 443lb-ft produced much lower in the rev range is going to make the LS feel faster, smoother and more powerful than if it had the 2UR.

That's why I cheered when I saw the torque number on the TTV6. It's simply going to blow the doors off the current 4.6 V8 in every possible way (hopefully including the 14.6 average MPG I get on the 460). If there's a full F model maybe they could put a turbo version of the 2UR in it, but I expect people are going to be pleasantly surprised by how hard the TTV6 will knock you back in your seat.