Toyota C-HR (New, Cheaper LE/XLE Trims Added for 2019)

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Not feeling the interior, just like I don't like the exterior. The interior materials look good, don't get me wrong. However I don't like the style. The way the screen sticks out looks really tacky. Also sad to see Toyota joining the trend of "touch screen everything". There are no more real buttons for volume control, or going through different options and settings on the screen. It makes the interior less intuitive, and more annoying. Also not feeling the slanted style of the dash.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Nice to see Toyota take some real risk with styling (inside/outside)....

Seems like both Toyota and Lexus have been doing some unconventional (and sometimes controversial) styling for the last several years now. I wouldn't say the C-HR is all that radical in that sense.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Seems like both Toyota and Lexus have been doing some unconventional (and sometimes controversial) styling for the last several years now. I wouldn't say the C-HR is all that radical in that sense.

Since I mentioned Toyota (not Lexus, not Scion), I cannot recall any Toyota in last decade with styling this wild.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Since I mentioned Toyota (not Lexus, not Scion), I cannot recall any Toyota in last decade with styling this wild.

Nice shots. :) I was going going to ask if these were from the L. A. show, but I see you mentioned San Francisco instead. Probably a smaller show, but a lot closer to your home. Assuming my weak knees hold out, I'll see the C-HR (if Toyota chooses to bring it) at the upcoming D.C. show late in January, though, if the D.C. show partly overlaps the tail end of the much bigger Detroit show (as sometimes happens), Detroit, of course, usually gets first pick on all-new displays.

As far as the C-HR's styling goes, although I haven't seen the interior close-up (yet) I can't say that the body itself is any more wild-looking than the new Prius. And, in fact, to me at least, the first glance of the C-HR, except for the way the headlights and grille are done, reminds me of the Nissan Juke.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
As far as the C-HR's styling goes, although I haven't seen the interior close-up (yet) I can't say that the body itself is any more wild-looking than the new Prius. And, in fact, to me at least, the first glance of the C-HR, except for the way the headlights and grille are done, reminds me of the Nissan Juke.

Short answer, C-HR actually looks good (and wild), unlike Juke, Ford Ecothing, new Prius.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Short answer, C-HR actually looks good (and wild), unlike Juke, Ford Ecothing, new Prius.

OK...looks, to some extent, are subjective, but I respect your opinion. I also see the C-HR as competition for the Juke, which actually sells pretty well in this area.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Here are some (more) shots of the interior that I managed to dig up, but they aren't mine................

2016-Toyota-C-HR-113-876x535.jpg

80-2018_toyota_c_hr_30_806c6f4a86b8e06ea278110f1eeb996bb4e3db04_5e47189ec87043bb71613e5f9810a0f9ba65f67c.jpg

80-2018_toyota_c_hr_34_d54e074214f8a635fa48c8ca5bcd9e3bb1fe50df_fbdf21b8ac9b24dd9606009a4e6250fa343f95fb.jpg

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
OK...looks, to some extent, are subjective, but I respect your opinion. I also see the C-HR as competition for the Juke, which actually sells pretty well in this area.

correct way to think about C-HR is that it is RAV4 with smaller trunk.... it is based on new midsize platform like Prius and Rav4 in next 2 years.

And yes, it will sell like crazy.

mikeavelli

Reactions
From the Toyota press wording they are saying its a "coupe" but with the utility of a normal SUV. Will be curious to see how that works out.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions

Toyota's expectations/forecasted sales will be far more than mediocre Juke sales, no surprise given C-HR being a much better-looking and significantly better vehicle. Juke actually doesn't sell well here, people obviously have eyes and wear corrective lens as needed.:dizzy:

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Toyota's expectations/forecasted sales will be far more than mediocre Juke sales, no surprise given C-HR being a much better-looking and significantly better vehicle. Juke actually doesn't sell well here, people obviously have eyes and wear corrective lens as needed.:dizzy:

I'll agree that the Juke is an eyesore...it was from Day One. But, I think that where you and I may disagree is that I also find the C-HR somewhat of one (though not as bad). However, I'm sure it will sell well......if, for no other reason, simply because it wears the Toyota nameplate. It is rare (though not unheard of) for a Toyota-badged product to be a real flop in the marketplace...the last one I can remember was the American-market 3Gen MR2 Spyder.

Reactions: CIF

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I'll agree that the Juke is an eyesore...it was from Day One. But, I think that where you and I may disagree is that I also find the C-HR somewhat of one (though not as bad). However, I'm sure it will sell well......if, for no other reason, simply because it wears the Toyota nameplate. It is rare (though not unheard of) for a Toyota-badged product to be a real flop in the marketplace...the last one I can remember was the American-market 3Gen MR2 Spyder.

I actually agree Juke and CH-R are quite similar vehicles mechanically /size-wise.

The difference is I've actually seen both and know which one looks better. CH-R will likely outsell Juke (which isn't saying much), not just because it's a Toyota. It's a better vehicle style-wise and automotive technology-wise.

Note: Juke sales in US for 2H 2016 are in death spiral, not something Toyota wants to replicate. And Toyota has had other models in its past with mediocre sales like the Juke.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Looks very sharp and the interior is very nice IMO for what this vehicle costs.

Weird to me that they are using "XLE" and "XLE Premium" trims. Why not LE and XLE, or XLE and Limited? Strange...

Reactions
They are going to sell every last one....
Hope they do, because it has the looks...

OTOH, it seems disappointing that the US spec C-HR doesn't have the desirable options that the Euro C-HR has. No moonroof, AWD, Hybrid, manual (with the 1.2 Turbo), etc. Of course, very likely that those options and models will be available after the initial launch.

Found these on the Tube:

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
No moonroof, AWD, Hybrid, manual (with the 1.2 Turbo), etc. Of course, very likely that those options and models will be available after the initial launch.

No AWD? On a crossover CUV? They've got to be kidding, even if that is only temporary.

Reactions
BN-RF369_TOYOTA_M_20161214085500.jpg
http://www.wsj.com/articles/toyotas-new-car-is-for-people-who-dont-like-toyotas-1481691924
Toyota’s New Car Is for People Who Don’t Like Toyotas
New C-HR crossover is another attempted style departure for world’s largest auto maker

TOKYO— Toyota Motor Corp. is taking yet another stab at convincing drivers that its vehicles can have a bit of sex appeal, but it concedes that not all consumers will be won over by its efforts to change the way its conservative people-movers are perceived.

Its new C-HR crossover sport-utility vehicle, which went on sale in Japan Wednesday and will be offered in the U.S. starting next spring, is another attempt at a radical style departure for the world’s largest auto maker.

The vehicle’s exaggerated curves and sharp angles are meant to evoke a “sexy diamond,” said Hiroyuki Koba, the Toyota engineer in charge of developing the vehicle, who refers to the look as “sensual.”

Despite its attempt to make an edgy car, Toyota’s traditional conservatism can be found in its modest sales ambitions for the vehicle. “If you love it, you really love it. If you don’t like it, you never will,” Mr. Koba said.

Crossover SUVs are hot sellers across the world, especially in the U.S. where cheap gas is drawing buyers to bigger vehicles. Toyota now sells nearly the same number of RAV4 crossovers as Camry sedans in the U.S. The difference is that RAV4 sales are up 11% year-over-year, while Camry sales are down 9.4% amid a broader slump in the sedan market.

Toyota hopes to sell 170,000 C-HRs a year world-wide, a modest goal given the popularity of crossovers and Toyota’s presence in the global auto market. Toyota sold 430,000 Camrys in the U.S. alone last year.

The company’s modest ambitions might also reflect lessons learned from customer reactions to its redesign of the Prius gas-electric hybrid. Toyota also said that vehicle’s new look would attract younger buyers. The new Prius arrived in the U.S. in January but sales are down 19% for the year.

Despite strong crossover sales in the U.S., Toyota doesn’t plan to make room in its U.S. factories for the vehicle. The company will import C-HRs from its plant in Turkey—despite hints from U.S. President-elect Donald Trump that he might target imported cars for higher taxes. Toyota said it could re-examine its production plans in the future.

In the latest push by Toyota President Akio Toyoda to change the conservative image of his company’s vehicles, the auto maker hopes the C-HR will succeed where Toyota’s other radical vehicle designs have failed. Crossover SUV customers care more about how a vehicle looks than Prius customers, Mr. Koba said.

Mr. Koba said he had regular fights with other Toyota engineers, who questioned whether the C-HR reflected what people expect from a Toyota car.

“Some customers might feel the same way,” Mr. Koba said of a car designed to attract customers from Toyota’s flashier competitors. “We are looking for customers who dislike Toyota cars. We want to turn their heads,” he said.
http://m.wsj.net/video/20161214/121416toyota1/121416toyota1_v2_ec664k.mp4