2016 Lexus RX Now Arriving at USA Dealerships

abraxas

Fan
Reactions
Anyone on the forum own one yet? (I wouldn't be surprised, as fast as it's selling). Let's hear from someone with accumulating, day-to-day experience.

I agree but the problem with that is one will be reluctant to honestly admit they made a mistake or they don't like this or that. I mean when you've just made a substantial time and money commitment, would you? :D

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I agree but the problem with that is one will be reluctant to honestly admit they made a mistake or they don't like this or that. I mean when you've just made a substantial time and money commitment, would you? :D

There never was a perfect vehicle, and there never will be. Any honest person, owner or not, will admit that. I try to make a reasonably accurate list of Plusses and Minuses when I do a review, but some things are nether not immediately visible in the showroom, sitting on the lot, or on the first test-drive, and don't develop until some miles begin to pile up. (who could tell, for example, on a brand-new car, that VW's diesel-emissions weren't honest, or that the Takada air-bag sensors would be defective?)

But that's why owner-input is valuable. They can comment on both positive and negative things that aren't immediately apparent when brand-new.....even if they felt they made a mistake.

That's one thing (among many) that I liked about Saturn's way of doing business...a full refund within 30 days, with clear title and no significant damage, if you were dissatisfied with the car for ANY reason (even if you simply decided you didn't like the color). I actually had some experience with that.....but I won't get into that here, as it would be off topic.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
^
Here is the answer regarding cargo space specs see below (need to find insert link here from article at LE):

"The RX 350 has 18.4 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats up, and 55.9 cubic feet with the rear seats down — this is approximately 25 cubic feet less than the current RX.

The RX 450h has similar numbers, with 18.0 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats up, and 56.3 cubic feet with the rear seats down. Again, this is about 25 cubic feet less than the outgoing model.

(The reason for this reduction in cargo space is due to a change in the methods for measuring volume, Lexus claims there’s more useable space than the current model.) "

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
1. Ok, I've answered the RX 18" to 20" wheel impact on ride height (1/8") question above in post#66.
2. Ok, I've answered the RX published cargo volume spec differences question above in post#83.

Questions please on 1. or 2.?

Last edited:

abraxas

Fan
Reactions
There never was a perfect vehicle, and there never will be

1. I'm doing a comparison between old and new,

2. This is not about you. It's my opinion about the new release.

I am not seeking any one's approval regarding my take and I don't care for the defensive posturing by those who obviously are selling Lexus vehicles. IS-SV, are you listening? Spin it any which way you want. There is far less cargo space in the 2016 models than the previous ones.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
1. I'm doing a comparison between old and new,

2. This is not about you. It's my opinion about the new release.

I am not seeking any one's approval regarding my take and I don't care for the defensive posturing by those who obviously are selling Lexus vehicles. IS-SV, are you listening?

abraxas - Sorry for your disapproval regarding my factual responses. I just answered some good questions that you raised regarding specifications, specially wheel sizing and cargo capacity in cubic feet. We realized you are comparing new to old RX's, not an uncommon comparison. Nobody asked you to make this "about you", whoever that might be.

I don't recall any defensive posturing on my part when I answered those questions with actual facts.

Please answer this question then. Why are pointing your finger at me (IS-SV) and talking about those "who obviously are selling Lexus vehicles"? Did you notice my current vehicles listed in my signature, (of which only 1 is an older Lexus).

And more on topic did you have questions regarding the data I provided (1. wheel sizing) and (2. cargo space) above?

mikeavelli

Reactions
Hi everyone lets all try to find the answer without attacking one another :). I think this is a great challenge for us here at the Lexus Enthusiast, to put a 2015 vs a 2016 and see the true difference in cargo room.

I'll talk to Kevin about it immediately since its a hot topic of discussion. If someone beats us too it, it would be great as well and we would be happy to feature findings!

abraxas

Fan
Reactions
Hi everyone lets all try to find the answer without attacking one another :). I think this is a great challenge for us here at the Lexus Enthusiast, to put a 2015 vs a 2016 and see the true difference in cargo room.

I'll talk to Kevin about it immediately since its a hot topic of discussion. If someone beats us too it, it would be great as well and we would be happy to feature findings!

Just do what I did. We drove our 2013 into the sales area front parking lot. Rep parked a 2016 next to it. We opened doors and the hatch and did a comparison and then test drove the 2016 on the freeway and city streets.

Easy peasy. ;)

Like I said, if you aren't a RX350 owner and are currently driving say....a Highlander or an Acura RDX.....whatever..... you might be happy with the new release. Selecting a car is about as personal as finding a good pair of shoes that fit well. We don't like how the 2016 has been dumbed down in certain areas and won't be a buyer. It's also more expensive than previous releases plus every car on the lots in San Antonio and Austin is packed with an expensive tow package which NOBODY uses.

Edmunds: "There are a few reasons to think twice about this new RX. The aforementioned Remote Touch controller is one, along with modest acceleration and limited cargo capacity compared to segment norms. Other choices like the...."

and...

"Cargo capacity leaves something to be desired. With that radically raked roof line, there's not much space above the cargo cover, meaning bulkier items are less likely to fit. Furthermore, the 40/20/40-split rear seatback doesn't quite fold flat. Listed cargo capacity is 18.4 cubic feet behind the second row and 56.3 cubic feet with the seats folded. Lexus has changed the way it measures total capacity, so these numbers aren't directly comparable to the previous RX, but suffice it to say that the new RX has less overall space than its competitors."

OK, numbers aren't comparable because Lexus moved the goal post. :cool: A visual inspection and tape will settle this once and for all.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Well abraxas, your impressions just made it sound like the difference in cargo room between the 2015 and 2016 was significantly different, which I don't think it is. Yes Lexus changed the way it measures cargo capacity, which is very frustrating because it makes it further confusing for customers. Lexus should have been more clear about it.

However what is not confusing is total EPA interior volume, which for both the 2015 and 2016 models is exactly the same, at 139.7 cu. ft, regardless of the different way Lexus is using to measure cargo volume.

So if total interior volume is the same, and passenger room is up slightly, then logically that can only mean that cargo capacity is down only slightly (ignoring the confusing new method Lexus is using for cargo measurement).

Last edited:

abraxas

Fan
Reactions
Well abraxas, your impressions just made it sound like the difference in cargo room between the 2015 and 2016 was significantly different, which I don't think it is.

So how did your personal inspection of both and the test drive go?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
No matter who measures interior cargo space, or what math/physics formula they use, the way I sees it, what matters is the amount and shape of the usable room. That's the volume that can easily accommodate the things that most people carry in back on a regular basis....grocery bags, kids's sports gear, holiday shopping, recreation gear, luggage for trips/vacations, small pieces of furniture, etc.......

One can argue all day long about numbers (which is what seems to have happened here)...but if those numbers can't be practically used to carry everyday objects, then, IMO, they are of relatively little value.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
So how did your personal inspection of both and the test drive go?

:confused:

Not sure where you got that from, as I never mentioned that I examined both. I pointed out the factual total EPA interior volume for both models. Yes a tape measure inspection of both would conclusively show how much real and usable space there is.

Reactions: RAL

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Didn't @corradoMR2 have a cool graphic about the cargo room debate, but with his NX?

Yeah. Here's the real-world usable up to 28 cu ft cargo capacity compared to the stated 17.6 cu ft for the NX. The RX surely can carry more and my guess it's +- 35 cu ft from seeing it in person at the dealer. No mulch to test though! :D

80-nxcargoproof3_118391cbef5df1d76c850148c497215f403556e5.jpg

80-nxcargoproof5_4698a5e4a2937123715e96ab4fc91cf9024759ef.jpg

80-nxcargoproof6_be4f419e8a1c9eb4eeda5a1c58d3c779148ded5b.jpg

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
If that is typical peat/mulch, with that much weight in the cargo area, it might need a self-leveling air-suspension. :D

This kind of mulch is wood chips, about 40-42 pounds per bag. Used frequently here for weed control and helps with water usage. Thankfully air suspenion not needed.

Last edited:

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
If that is typical peat/mulch, with that much weight in the cargo area, it might need a self-leveling air-suspension. :D
This kind of mulch is wood chips, about 40-42 pounds per bag. Used frequently here for weed control and helps with water usage. Thankfully air suspenion not needed.

The AVS I have on the NX seems to take on the load just fine with little sag. Wish I had taken a pic of the drop +- 300lbs in the cargo area with just one or two passengers in the car is fine.