Sulu

Admirer
Reactions

Mercedes Claims SUV Shape Will Change In Electric Era For Better Efficiency
The roof needs to be more sloped towards the rear for improved airflow.
Aside from being considerably smaller and therefore lighter, at 1,750 kilograms (3,858 pounds), the all-electric concept is also much sleeker. It has a drag coefficient of only 0.17 whereas the EQS has a Cd of 0.20 shared with the smaller EQE. That might not seem a huge difference, but the three-pointed star claims a reduction of only 0.01 adds approximately 2.5 percent to the range. It's not possible to make blocky SUVs as efficient, but Mercedes is working on flowy shapes.
Schäfer mentioned that even though the "customer loves SUVs, no doubt," as they are now, the shape will change in the years ahead to maximize range. However, Daimler chief designer Gordon Wagener admitted SUVs will never be as efficient as these lower cars, hence why the Vision EQXX was conceived with a "low, sedan-ish" profile.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Mercedes recently made a comment that I high agree with: the aerodynamic shape for EVs will inevitably make 3 box sedan obsolete and all sedans will be 4dr coupe style.

To get enough interior room the cabin would need to be taller (the floor will be quite high). So the overall shape will be between a 4 door coupe and crossover (like a stretched C-HR or a lower X4). Toyota will be experimenting with such styling on the next Crown.

The world seems to finds the Mercedes EQXX concept so attractive -- I think the exterior design is positively awful. I hope future EVs dont look much like that - Lexus' certainly didn't.

mercedes-benz_100822407_h.jpg

mercedes-benz_100822406_h.jpg

mikeavelli

Reactions
Ironically I think there is huge room for a retro 3 box design with everyone going for the soap look.

i really liked how the CT-6 looked being squared off, shame it didn’t last. I think Genesis figured it out a bit tho the front is just weird af. I had no issues with the 7 then giant grills came. The current A8/S8 it’s like Audi forgot to style it. The Panamera is a Porsche so it’s gonna sell no matter what.

I would like the designer of the IS to tackle the LS!

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
The world seems to finds the Mercedes EQXX concept so attractive -- I think the exterior design is positively awful. I hope future EVs dont look much like that - Lexus' certainly didn't.

mercedes-benz_100822407_h.jpg

mercedes-benz_100822406_h.jpg
This thing proves how easily carmakers can make things that they'd never originally stand behind (concept is reminiscent of all those college engineering teams that have been making hypermilling concepts for decades) and turn into a walking marketing piece with polarizing slogans "lead designer said that the EQXX design should not look like ****".

200 measly hps with a crazy range...Of course if it looks like this and is essentially producing the power of a bog standard camry lol.

I bet the first reviews will call it edgy.

Reactions
This thing proves how easily carmakers can make things that they'd never originally stand behind (concept is reminiscent of all those college engineering teams that have been making hypermilling concepts for decades) and turn into a walking marketing piece with polarizing slogans "lead designer said that the EQXX design should not look like ****".

200 measly hps with a crazy range...Of course if it looks like this and is essentially producing the power of a bog standard camry lol.

I bet the first reviews will call it edgy.

God forbid if Toyota or Lexus did this.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
WOAH. Freshen the IS and RC in 2024? I thought they were redesigns!

And a refreshed LC in 2025? The LC was released in 2016!
There will be no IS redesign. The original 2022 plan was already cancelled. The only IS replacement program is the 2025 Sedan EV.

RC will be replaced by something different maybe related to that GT3 concept.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
According to BestCar, it seems Toyota conceded S220 Crown was a mistake and gen16 will go back to the original formula. Will we see a similar course correction on the LS?

Reactions
According to BestCar, it seems Toyota conceded S220 Crown was a mistake and gen16 will go back to the original formula. Will we see a similar course correction on the LS?

So... does that still mean a RWD platform for the Crown? Since North America is getting it I'm curious.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I never knew how good the new Platinum Haku trim is until I see it in person. It's even more stunning than Kiriko Glass. This is peak Japanese craftsmanship, it's better than the Century.

I really hope whatever succeeds the LS keep its traditional Japanese craftsmanship, because neither the LC nor LX had this level of attention to detail. I'll just say it aloud: S-Class interior is rubbish compared to this. The LS interior is in its own league.

The 5LS is six cylinders too many or two cylinders too few from greatness.
mmexportea9f6b86e86b64b5bc1a7a4735ea758d_1645712638928.gif

Reactions
I never knew how good the new Platinum Haku trim is until I see it in person. It's even more stunning than Kiriko Glass. This is peak Japanese craftsmanship, it's better than the Century.

I really hope whatever succeeds the LS keep its traditional Japanese craftsmanship, because neither the LC nor LX had this level of attention to detail. I'll just say it aloud: S-Class interior is rubbish compared to this. The LS interior is in its own league.

The 5LS is six cylinders too many or two cylinders too few from greatness.
View attachment 5576
Agreed.

Also it's definitely the latter. At least for an option.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I assume they will let it roll like the 4th Gen for eternity, then bring out the 6th gen as a EV platform...