Levi

Expert
Reactions
well even the Germans are planning on killing their coupes (2 and 4 doors) and convertible and keep them to a minimum.

there have been rumors of BMW M standalone supercar for 20 years. it never came, what came was the i8. however now it (M Supercar) will come, but not as before.

it will be a rebodied M only type of "X8 M". the same it happening at AMG, the AMG GT4 based on E Class will be replaced by a SUV/CUV.

with new smaller Maserati CUV coming (reworked Alfa Selvio), Alfa Tonal CUV in starting blocks, Ferrari CUV coming, the epitome of automobiles, the BLOB will have conquered every possible car category.

the last "enthusiast" soldiers standing might very well be the 911 and MX-5.

hypercars do not count.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
I’m throwing this out there for anyone. So the current model has been out since 2017. Isn’t it ready for a redesign?
Happy new year all!

bert

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Should be in another 16-24 months, but the previous LS lived a very extended life, so it’s hard to be sure.

CrisB

Fan
Reactions
But, where and when all is started?

When Lexus decide to kill about all the sedans?
Here in EU they not only kill the medium range IS, but even the RC.

Two models that well represent the house for thos could not afford a LC and would enter in Lexus avoiding a SUV.

But, I saw that in USA and JP bot are still in the line up (JP also is selling CT200H too, disappeared in EU four years ago).

It is possible that the future could only be SUV/CUV?

I can’t believe.

Will1991

Reactions
@CrisB , I agree with you, Lexus should have an IS/RC/CT in Europe… But sales simply didn’t appear…

Europe is basically the NX and that’s it nowadays, the 3IS was incredible but it didn’t sell… The same for the RC…

The CT, that one I think was due to lackluster sales in the US. And it qas

To me the IS is the perfect balance in price/segment… But low sales screw us…

I’m not in love by SUV’s, but I also think the 2022 NX is the best balance in price/segment in the Lexus lineup.

As for the LS, here in Portugal I don’t remember seeing one outside the dealer…

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
I’m throwing this out there for anyone. So the current model has been out since 2017. Isn’t it ready for a redesign?
Happy new year all!

bert
Yes i think it is. In fact has been a less than remarkable flagship in my opinion. Styling is lack lustre and somewhat disappointingly old hat. The car lacks the presence of the three big Germans by some margin. Very expensive and sadly lacking the V8 or a motor of real distinction. The Hybrid is also less successful in the LS than it is in lesser models.
So yes please a thorough overhaul or drop it.

CrisB

Fan
Reactions
Lexus electrified sedan.jpg
As they called this "Lexus Electrified Sedan" could this the possible pattern for new LS-E? ans a derivated IS-E? May could be this. a sign they still believe in sedans?

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
@CrisB I agree with that. The forum did post an article that looks like what the 6LS is going to look like. I’m not sure if you seen it but that front looks alot the the LS+ concept and the LF-FC. It looks to me they are going back to the 4LS styling and get rid of that god awful sports coupe design that took all headroom.

CrisB

Fan
Reactions
I hope so, in my experience, even if I work in a different sector than automotive (I am a fashion designer) when all the other doing the same, the only safe way is to do something different, smart, innovative, against the wave... at the beginning the result it's hard to come.. but in middle term they arrive.

Lexus was always working this way (think the IS200 SPORT CROSS!) and this is the reason why I don't understand why in EU (but it seems soon even abroad) they are so undecided in the line up and just offer SUV.

I talk about design of course.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
@CrisB . I hope they put the TTV6 in there that they just put in the Tundra of come with a full electric spread. I just couldn’t bring myself to buy this current 5LS. It’s to small in the back and and what really did it for me was when the just took the screen which was mounted in the dash and plopped it on the dash like they did. They current hybrid would be better if they got rid of the ridiculous old V6 and put the TTV6 and it gave it the 10spd.

Reactions
@CrisB . I hope they put the TTV6 in there that they just put in the Tundra of come with a full electric spread. I just couldn’t bring myself to buy this current 5LS. It’s to small in the back and and what really did it for me was when the just took the screen which was mounted in the dash and plopped it on the dash like they did. They current hybrid would be better if they got rid of the ridiculous old V6 and put the TTV6 and it gave it the 10spd.

100% agree.

And slap in the V8. A big chunk of the sales were gone because of a lack of a V8, as well as the smaller backseats.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Mercedes recently made a comment that I high agree with: the aerodynamic shape for EVs will inevitably make 3 box sedan obsolete and all sedans will be 4dr coupe style.

To get enough interior room the cabin would need to be taller (the floor will be quite high). So the overall shape will be between a 4 door coupe and crossover (like a stretched C-HR or a lower X4). Toyota will be experimenting with such styling on the next Crown.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Mercedes recently made a comment that I high agree with: the aerodynamic shape for EVs will inevitably make 3 box sedan obsolete and all sedans will be 4dr coupe style.

To get enough interior room the cabin would need to be taller (the floor will be quite high). So the overall shape will be between a 4 door coupe and crossover (like a stretched C-HR or a lower X4). Toyota will be experimenting with such styling on the next Crown.
So BEVs will not be good (subjective) looking cars. Those that claimed BEVs would allow more design freedom are actually wrong, on the contrary design will be even more constrained by function.