What was your first Lexus, what Lexus have you owned and what Lexus will you get next?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Great question!

Next Lexus is almost guaranteed to be the NX -- perfect for my family, and a real return to the Lexus attention to detail that brought me to the brand in the first place. Right now, I don't know whether we keep the CT or replace it with an NX.

(We'll be waiting for the mid-cycle update anyway, so it's not really a pressing concern.)

RAL

Reactions
The 1st car I bought myself was a 1974 Celica, which followed my 1st-a 1969 Olds Cutlass S, both of which I thrashed to within an inch of their lives. I have owned many Japanese sports cars, as well as Toyota 4x4 trucks for work and play. The many Toyotas I've owned always seemed to beg for more, after taking whatever I dished out, and held great resale value while doing it. I noticed when the LS400 came out, and was impressed buy an owners testimonial on the Lexus. We were admiring his new LS400, when he told me he had bought it as a replacement for a previous LS400 he credited with saving his life. He had been t-boned at an intersection by a large 3 axle truck, which struck his drivers side and pushed him some 200 yards down the road before grinding to a halt. While the doors were crushed, the cabin remained intact and undistorted. That was enough for him to declare he would never buy a different brand of car. My car tastes have always gravitated to performance, and I wound up with a 2011 Lexus ISF I bought used a year ago with 28K on it. Love the car, and when it's time for something else, it will be another Lexus, most likely the RCF.
Great story . . . bought first RX after hearing a similar story. A lady was hit diagonally in her RX. After the car rolled she came out of it with only a slightly sprained ankle!

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
Like many others, Lexus (and Toyota, for that matter) has been with me since birth. I grew up in the gargantuan back seat of a 1995 LS400. Over the years my parents and grandparents drove everything from a GX470 to a 4Runner to Tundras to RX's (a total of 5 RX's to be exact).

A Toyota product was simply the logical choice when I became of age to drive. A 2008 Lexus IS250 RWD in Obsidian came along at the right price at the right time and I've been loving nearly every mile. No plans to change right now in the midst of college, but I've got no reason to leave the brand that continues to catch my senses time and time again. I am always awed at the simple lack of rattles or aging on a car that is nearly a decade old.

bnizzle87

Fan
Reactions
NXt for the parents as a retirement gift. They always wanted the RX, but sacrificed with having the minivan for all purpose use. I figured, they deserve it. And I personally like the sportier look compared to the RX.

Not sure yet about my future vehicle purchase. Still enjoying being debt free for the time being.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
NXt for the parents as a retirement gift. They always wanted the RX, but sacrificed with having the minivan for all purpose use. I figured, they deserve it. And I personally like the sportier look compared to the RX.

Not sure yet about my future vehicle purchase. Still enjoying being debt free for the time being.

Debt free and driving an IS F -- that's the way to do it!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Next for me is probably a GS of some variety. In a perfect world, a GS F. More realistically, a slightly used GS 350 F Sport in a few years.

GS has always been my favorite Lexus model!

Onelog

Follower
Reactions
I'm conflicted, my '13 CT lease is up in July(but I may be able to jump out early), and I'm not sure what I want to do next. I love my little car, but I don't know if I want to move up a little bit or not. I've just been spoiled with a sub-$300/mo lease and only having to gas up twice a month or so, so I don't know if I want to give that up, haha. Hopping into an IS would be fun and a nice change for a "cool" car, but premium fuel, rear wheel drive, and MPGs are all factors. Practically, I kind of like the idea of moving up to the ESh because it's nicer, roomier, and gets almost the same mileage, but I'm only turning 30 and I don't know if I'm ready for that adult(not all that cool) of an automobile, plus my lease would be $75-$100/mo higher. I do love the update on the CT, so I may just get a silver F-sport with the blacked out roof and call it good.
So many decisions!

phm14

Fan
Reactions
Debt free and driving an IS F -- that's the way to do it!
I don't mind the debt when they're offering 0% financing, and the 3 year CPO warranty on my ISF is concurrent with the original, so it just started last month. ;)

phm14

Fan
Reactions
Next for me is probably a GS of some variety. In a perfect world, a GS F. More realistically, a slightly used GS 350 F Sport in a few years.

I've heard great things about the GS. The car has a very strong following.

Reactions
My first lexus was a 2003 Lexus GS300.... I fell in love with that car when they first had the bubble head lights in 1998. My mom was fortunate to actually own one of them when we lived in Jamaica and I always said that once I get old I'm buying myself one at the age of 22.

I fell in love with the interior design and the hard work Lexus placed into perfecting that car. The 2JZ is a solid motor that took a beating like no other motor could, yet everyday it felt like I was driving a brand new car. Now I'm on my 4th Lexus and I must say I'll probab won't ever leave unless I'm buying a Ferrari. Lol

phm14

Fan
Reactions
I'm conflicted, my '13 CT lease is up in July(but I may be able to jump out early), and I'm not sure what I want to do next. I love my little car, but I don't know if I want to move up a little bit or not. I've just been spoiled with a sub-$300/mo lease and only having to gas up twice a month or so, so I don't know if I want to give that up, haha. Hopping into an IS would be fun and a nice change for a "cool" car, but premium fuel, rear wheel drive, and MPGs are all factors. Practically, I kind of like the idea of moving up to the ESh because it's nicer, roomier, and gets almost the same mileage, but I'm only turning 30 and I don't know if I'm ready for that adult(not all that cool) of an automobile, plus my lease would be $75-$100/mo higher. I do love the update on the CT, so I may just get a silver F-sport with the blacked out roof and call it good.
So many decisions!
Gas mileage impact is in direct relation to miles driven, so the more miles you drive, the more it matters, and vice versa. I've only put ~6K miles on my ISF in the 1st year, so I'm happy with the 18.5 mpg it averages with 420hp. Run the numbers on lease vs own. One of the strong suits of Lexus is the #1 resale value status. That's a big financial winner for whoever owns the vehicle. To get maximum value and minumal cost per mile, pay it off, own it, drive it, then sell it for a great price after years of low maintenance service. In my case, it seems I'm able to do this with Toyota trucks more than my cars. :)

Last edited:
Reactions
I always love the 2nd gen IS but thought it was a girly car, but after browsing the forums and seeing all the potentials when modified it was very eye catching. They were also going for a good price, easy to maintain and considered luxury.

Onelog

Follower
Reactions
Gas mileage impact is in direct relation to miles driven, so the more miles you drive, the more it matters, and vice versa. I've only put ~6K miles on my ISF in the 1st year, so I'm happy with the 18.5 mpg it averages with 420hp. Run the numbers on lease vs own. One of the strong suits of Lexus is the #1 resale value status. That's a big financial winner for whoever owns the vehicle. To get maximum value and minumal cost per mile, pay it off, own it, drive it, then sell it for a great price after years of low maintenance service. In my case, it seems I'm able to do this with Toyota trucks more than my cars. :)

Very true on mileage, I have less than 13k and I've had my CT since July 2013. So that may not be as much of an issue. I think it's something about the hybrids though. I love how Lexus does hybrid and there's still a little bit of that hippie Californian in me that thinks that it matters, haha.
As far as lease vs. own, I'm in a unique situation here since I work for a Lexus dealership, and once we get master certified, there's a pretty substantial lease break we get on a new vehicle. So even though a Lexus lasts basically forever, I can't pass up driving one for cheap/free while I work here and being able to move on/up after a relatively short period of time :)

Reactions: RAL

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
So many decisions!

I think the 2.0L turbo engine in the IS is going to be a tough combo to beat -- a reasonable price, decent gas mileage, decent performance. If an IS 200t AWD had been available this summer, that's what I'd be driving right now instead of the CT.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

Perfect world, I'd be driving a GS F as well! (Ultra White, red leather interior, holla!)

mikeavelli

Reactions
I'm in quite the pickle actually whereas in the past I always knew the Lexus that was next....with our first child things have changed and that comes into play. We recently checked out the NX F-Sport which is very well done but there is some concern over space so we eagerly anticipate the next RX F-Sport. The LS F-Sport has been great in regards to being roomy but the GS F is literally a dream car of mine. I was flirting strongly with the RC F but not that KJ at Vossen got one it makes little sense from a marketing standpoint for me to get one.

So for me I am really thinking it will be the GS F-Sport...for the wife, maybe the next RX..

ThePenguin

Follower
Reactions
Realistically I would love a IS350 F-Sport, even an IS200t F-Sport when that happens. With no budget in mind and not worrying about practicality, RCF all the way. USB 2.0 please :)