What Should be the First Lexus F Brand Crossover/SUV?

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
I agree with Joaquin that most likely the first F SUV/CUV will be the LF-1 (LQ F or LF F).

Lexus is behind with performance SUV's/CUV's. BMW has the X4 M, X5 M, X6 M. Mercedes has the GLA 43, GLC 43/63, GLE 43/63 and GLS 63 and G 63/65. Audi has the SQ5 and SQ7.

Lexus please bring in performance SUV's and CUV's soon...

LQ F
LX F
GX F
NX F

Last edited:
Reactions
put my vote in on the NX as its small but not too small, has good aerodynamics, and already looks aggressive, however it would need to be RWD and it would be interesting to see how they could shoehorn a v8 under the hood....

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
put my vote in on the NX as its small but not too small, has good aerodynamics, and already looks aggressive, however it would need to be RWD and it would be interesting to see how they could shoehorn a v8 under the hood....

A would be NX F wouldn't necessarily need a V8. It's competitors would be the X4 M which has a TT I6 with 355 hp, the GLC 43 has a TT V6 with 362 hp but the GLC 63 has a TT V8 with 503 hp (which is awesome). Lexus could stuff the would be NX F with the V35A-FTS motor which is a TT V6 with 415 hp but Lexus would have to make the NX F rear wheel drive/all wheel drive which is something Lexus probably would not do.

So this begs the question, will Lexus make performance SUV's/CUV's? Lexus could create a new segment of rear wheel drive CUV's starting out with the LQ F (flagship performance CUV), then bring in a mid-level performance CUV such as the GQ F then finally entry level performance CUV such as the RQ F...

With that said, all the other Lexus CUV's (UX, NX & RX) and SUV's (GX & LX) can stay the way they are.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
NX for sure. It would be great to have something go against the X3 M40i.
X3 and X4 M coming soon:
bmw-x3-x4-m-lead-shot-1536617565.jpg

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
A would be NX F wouldn't necessarily need a V8. It's competitors would be the X4 M which has a TT I6 with 355 hp, the GLC 43 has a TT V6 with 362 hp but the GLC 63 has a TT V8 with 503 hp (which is awesome). Lexus could stuff the would be NX F with the V35A-FTS motor which is a TT V6 with 415 hp but Lexus would have to make the NX F rear wheel drive/all wheel drive which is something Lexus probably would not do.

So this begs the question, will Lexus make performance SUV's/CUV's? Lexus could create a new segment of rear wheel drive CUV's starting out with the LQ F (flagship performance CUV), then bring in a mid-level performance CUV such as the GQ F then finally entry level performance CUV such as the RQ F...

With that said, all the other Lexus CUV's (UX, NX & RX) and SUV's (GX & LX) can stay the way they are.
If the regular GR V6 can be mounted either longitudinally in RWD-centric platforms or transversely in FWD-centric ones, the same would certainly apply to the V35A-FTS. In other words, a proper NX F could be developed from the GA-K FWD platform as opposed to using a cut-down GA-L or GA-N RWD one (though that would certainly be nice). Granted, a new, more performance-oriented AWD system would have to be evolved, one that would be Acura-esque, and an NX F could also look to Audi's not-for-North America RS Q3 (the RS 3 / TT RS transverse powertrain stuffed into their corresponding crossover) for inspiration.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
one thing to pay attention to is all this news about AWD in lexus line up now. I think they might be heading in this direction. The Lexus SUV has the look already they just need to introduce the system. the 3.5TT in an RX350 AWD should be fun.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
LQ F makes the most sense to me, based on the date of launch and the targeted segment. A longitudinal RWD monocoque crossover. An LX F comes second to that, when one of the performance SUVs BOF for the street, was the G55 AMG in 1998. I did own a 2009 MY version of that for a brief period, but the LX could certainly go head to head with its spiritual successor in the G63.

An NX F isn't as pressing, not even being a flagship offering. I would take an RX F before that. It will be interesting to see how both NX and RAV-4 are leveraged on GA-K together. Will the RX become 7-seater only or a large 5-seater plus, by means of a discount alternative to the 4-seater LQ?

F models can be launched parallel to new generation models, as seen with the RC-F. So I wouldn't worry about staggered releases in some cases.

FearTheYu

Founding Member
Reactions
The GX and LX would be badass in the F variant, but it would lose on utility: "off-road", but not many people drive luxurious SUVs offroad do they? I could be wrong. Those who do offroad usually change the suspension and tires and front bumper for a winch option that I've seen on a few select models in the Atlanta territory.

I think the RX F variant would hit a sweet spot because it is so popular and as a daily driver, which a majority of our RXs are for. This could compete with LandRover Sport or the Jeep Cherokee SRT variants, X5 M sport (whatever), etc. I think it would be awesome to have AWD V8 or V6-TT. But first...LEXUS IS F, please.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Per information previously posted here by Carmaker1, about 2 years from now (Fall 2020, for Model Year 2021).

It can't come soon enough. In my opinion Lexus is a little like Apple in the sense that they don't always release the latest technology or be the first to enter a certain segment (or create one) but they take their time for a better (more reliable) execution. I personally think Lexus takes too long, hopefully reliability more than makes up for the extra time they take, but its probably just later decision making or being too conservative when it comes to segment or tech innovation.

I guess some could make the same argument for Carplay. Not necessarily important for me but it appears to be a common thing Lexus (potential) owners complain about.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I've pushed the NX and RX as hard as one can and while I would love to see a F model, I would hope its the next generation. Barring some miracle of engineering they simply are not ready for that type of life.

If anyone has driven a X5 Sport let alone a X5 M or Cayenne GTS/Turbo etc they drive like cars and don't give you the feeling of being awkward in truly sporting driving. So for me the all new LQ or whatever hopefully would signal the first F Lexus SUV.. a true rethink on things...

And I have yet to touch it but every review and every person I've talked to says the Alfa Stelvio is a blast to drive.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Although still refusing to clarify which Lexus crossover or SUV (if any) would be the first to receive an F variant, it seems the idea is "under active consideration" according to this Motor1.com article:

Lexus Wants To Build A Hardcore F-Badged SUV
BY: GREG FINK, Associate Editor
Will the Japanese brand opt to emphasize on-road handling or off-road prowess?

Lexus's performance-oriented F sub-brand may soon find its way to the Japanese luxury brand's crossovers and SUVs. Speaking with the media prior to the start of the Rolex 24 at Daytona endurance race in Daytona Beach, Florida, Cooper Ericksen, vice president for product planning and strategy at Lexus, acknowledged that an F-badged crossover or SUV is an “active conversation” among folks working for the marque.

While Chika Kako, executive vice president and chief engineer to the Lexus UX, previously acknowledged the brand’s smallest crossover “has potential” to join the F family as a high-horsepower gasoline-electric hybrid, Ericksen stated that Lexus continues to evaluate what an F crossover or SUV might emphasize.

“[What] we're currently trying to figure out is [if] the on-road performance aspect [is] more important [for Lexus] to invest in than the off-road performance.”

Although the brand’s crossovers are likely limited to the former line of thought, the body-on-frame Lexus GX and LX models offer the go-anywhere capabilities the F sub-brand needs if it plans to create a high-performance off-road machine.

Despite our desire to see a Ford F-150 Raptor-like Lexus LX, we’d wager an F-branded crossover or SUV will ultimately settle on pushing the vehicle’s on-road handling prowess and not its off-road performance. Whether that comes in the form of a high-performance gasoline-electric Lexus UX, a boosted Lexus RX, or a Mercedes-AMG G63-like Lexus LX remains to be seen. Of course, there’s always the potential the F sub-brand will remain exclusive to the luxury brand's coupes and sedans.
https://www.motor1.com/news/302801/lexus-f-crossover-suv/

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
It's somehow confirmed that the first Lexus F SUV/CUV will be the LQ
That's why in introduction of the concept they didn't say a word about the engine except it can have any engine or motor or hybrid of both