What makes Lexus fans so brand loyal?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Why am I brand loyal to Lexus?

My experience began in 2006 when I started leasing Lexus vehicles. From the first moment I entered the dealership (Lexus of Louisville) I experienced "omotenashi" (Japanese hospitality). The Japanese are known for the honor they pay to "a guest" in their home. Omotenashi is hospitality offered from the bottom of the heart. I have related numerous stories on this site about the many remarkable ways I have experienced Lexus omotenashi over the past 11 years. I suppose I might sum it up by saying that I am made to feel "like family" by my friends at Lexus ... both at our dealership and here in this community of enthusiasts.

Seconded. Back in 2006 when the automotive market in China is nowhere near today's size, Lexus literally redefined car purchasing experience with its first (official) dealership network. The level of professionalism and hospitality is unheard of at that time. And the wealthy class finally received the quality of service they deserve.
At that time Lexus required a qualified dealership to have a minimum capital investment of 50 million Yuan ($6.5M in 2006), with full service facilities and even a track for test drives. Free cafe/SPA/lounge access was not even available in a Rolls-Royce dealership but Lexus subsidized its dealership to do it. Salespeople needed a bachelor's degree when college graduates are a rarity in the labor market.
Nowadays these kind of service has become standard in any premium brand dealership, but Lexus just raises the bar higher each year. I would keep going to my nearest dealership just to have a chat with the barista; he makes the best coffee in town.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Seconded. Back in 2006 when the automotive market in China is nowhere near today's size, Lexus literally redefined car purchasing experience with its first (official) dealership network.

For Lexus, the biggest problem in China is Buick. The Buick nameplate has become an institution in that country.....and, like with Toyota and Nissan trying to get into the full-sized American truck market (which has been a very tough nut to crack), Lexus will find Buick a similar adversary in China.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
For Lexus, the biggest problem in China is Buick. The Buick nameplate has become an institution in that country.....and, like with Toyota and Nissan trying to get into the full-sized American truck market (which has been a very tough nut to crack), Lexus will find Buick a similar adversary in China.

SAIC Buick is not considered a proper premium brand here but rather for families that can afford a bit more than a Chevy (which is a 'pleb brand' here). Premium buyers rarely cross-shop Lexus against Buick. But you are right that SAIC has very good products at every price point (that I consider to be the strongest in China, even stronger than VW). In terms of value Buick is very hard to beat, but in the premium market Buick is a new comer. Their Avenir line-up hasn't made enough noise just yet, but is certainly a legit threat given how strong their products already are. I've always had a soft spot for LaCrosse, but ES has always been the stronger choice IMO.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
SAIC Buick is not considered a proper premium brand here but rather for families that can afford a bit more than a Chevy (which is a 'pleb brand' here). Premium buyers rarely cross-shop Lexus against Buick. But you are right that SAIC has very good products at every price point (that I consider to be the strongest in China, even stronger than VW). In terms of value Buick is very hard to beat, but in the premium market Buick is a new comer. Their Avenir line-up hasn't made enough noise just yet, but is certainly a legit threat given how strong their products already are. I've always had a soft spot for LaCrosse, but ES has always been the stronger choice IMO.

good to know things from "locals"... we always read stories about whats happening in China, but they are just stories and reality is often different.

Reactions
Buick was that good in China that it saved the brand from being killed off, especially here in the US where it was at risk during GM's bankruptcy.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Buick was that good in China that it saved the brand from being killed off, especially here in the US where it was at risk during GM's bankruptcy.

I agree that China played a role in Buick's salvation, but its position here in the U.S. was also underestimated by by the auto press. One must remember that, when GM killed off sister division Oldsmobile and Ford killed off Mercury, many of those former customers, instead of gravitating to Chevies and Fords, moved to Buicks instead....they wanted to stay with upgraded products instead of entry-level nameplates, but weren't ready to move up to Cadillacs or Lincolns. (besides, back then, Lincolns were generally just rebadged Fords). Of course, Buick sedans are currently suffering the same malaise in sales that many other sedans are.....SUVs are essentially taking over the American market. I liked the new Lacrosse enough to actually order one, but I realize I am in the minority.

Back to Lexus (and the thread topic), I think the main thing that gives it the appeal to does is the reliability and the careful, precise way they are assembled.....though some of the solidness of the trim parts and sheet metal seems to have gotten thinner. Their reliability is confirmed by both Consumer Reports and J.D. Power...many vehicles (and brands), for some reason, do well with one, but not the other. A lot is made of the fact that they are selling in spite of the controversial spindle-grilles....but, judging from at least some the comments I've seen on both this and other Lexus forums (and from people I know and see every day who driver Lexus products), many buyers are so eager to get that reliability and customer-service that they simply grit their teeth and overlook the grille LOL. And, on an aside note...Buick is now rating very high in dealer-service and customer satisfaction as well....more so than Cadillac.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Interesting question, and one I have a relatively short answer to -- as crazy as it seems, it's an old ES commercial:

"Behind every detail, there's a detail."

Last edited: