USA 2021 Model Year JOB #1/Start ot Production Dates

Will1991

Reactions
Getting back to this thread, Toyota stated they want to launch at least one PHEV each year until 2025, being already known a RAV4 PHEV for 2019 LA Auto Show, NX PHEV for 2021, shouldn't we expect a Camry PHEV for 2020?

I say this because current Camry is with us since 2017, so we should expect a facelift for 2020 (Camry usually has up to 6 years run), it would be the easiest and cheaper solution since they all share TNGA-K.

What's your opinion? Even without eAWD it would be a very strong offer!

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
My opinion on Toyota and Lexus PHEVs? I have already made it known that I am interested. I believe that Toyota is losing out on an opportunity for greater sales here.

Canadians just found out earlier this week that the federal government used up half of its 3-year budget for EV and PHEV rebates in just 8 months (over twice the budgeted rate). (If more Canadian provinces would offer their own similar rebates, demand for EVs and PHEVs could really increase.) Toyota Canada only has 1 vehicle in its lineup that is eligible for this rebate, the Prius Prime PHEV; regular HEVs are not eligible for this rebate.

I believe that Toyota Canada is missing an opportunity here.

As @Will1991 said, with the RAV4 Prime on the GA-K platform coming out, the Gen2 NX PHEV (also on the GA-K platform) expected, the Camry, Highlander, Avalon, ES and next-generation RX and Venza, all on the GA-K platform, should go Prime also. What about the new Sienna? A hybrid model is expected. What about a PHEV model to make it truly competitive with the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid?

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Updated (In bold are major changes/redesigns, corrections underlined)

Start of Production Dates Only:

2021 4Runner - August 2020
2021 86 - Discontinued (EOP is December 2020)
2021 Avalon - July 2020
2021 C-HR - August 2020
2021 Camry - September 2020
2021 Corolla Sedan - April 2020
2021 Corolla Hatchback - June 2020
2021 Highlander - August 2020
2021 Land Cruiser - August 2020
2021 Mirai - December 2020
2021 Prius - July 2020
2021 Prius Prime - July 2020
2021 RAV4 - August 2020
2021 Sequoia - July 2020
2021 Sienna - DELAYED
2021 Tacoma - August 2020
2021 Tundra - July 2020 (EOP is August 2021)
2021 Venza - Q4 2020
2021 Yaris - January 2021

Toyota 86 sports coupe will go on hiatus for MY 2021, ahead of redesign in the second half of 2021 (possible delay from July 2021).

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions
@Carmaker1 , do you have any info on GR86? Does it really will have a FA24 without a turbo? Since we have a 2L 260hp Supra, I'm not seeing it going above 210~220hp...

Also, I've read somewhere 2021 Prius Prime will be a facelift, do you agree?

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
@Carmaker1 , do you have any info on GR86? Does it really will have a FA24 without a turbo? Since we have a 2L 260hp Supra, I'm not seeing it going above 210~220hp...

Also, I've read somewhere 2021 Prius Prime will be a facelift, do you agree?
That is where the Motor1 report took me out of context and followed their own narrative, publishing speculation of their own on engines. I am unfortunately not going to comment on that (plead the 5th!), as I'm more of a timelines person.

I haven't looked into the Prius Prime, but that should be accurate by model cadence.

Will1991

Reactions
I will say this GR86 shouldn't be too far off what current GT86 is, maybe a bit lighter car with a upgraded FA20, keeping the same chassis, same overall dimensions. My guess is going to be a heavier facelift than a whole new model.

Whenever you're able to share something go it please do, after a test-drive I just didn't bought one because not even I could fool myself on saying this is really possible:
attachment.php

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I will say this GR86 shouldn't be too far off what current GT86 is, maybe a bit lighter car with a upgraded FA20, keeping the same chassis, same overall dimensions. My guess is going to be a heavier facelift than a whole new model.

Whenever you're able to share something go it please do, after a test-drive I just didn't bought one because not even I could fool myself on saying this is really possible:
attachment.php
BRZ was the first car I bought in my name and second shortest ownership ever (5 months). Believe that I bought it from the last Subaru showroom in Manhattan, before they closed down?

Will1991

Reactions
Can I ask why it was such a short ownership? It's the main reason why I haven't bought a IS300h and am looking so hard for a BEV since fuel savings alone would allow me to buy one.
I'm so passioned about it that I made (compel being a better word) fiancé try one with me, almost fear for my life afterwards but it was totally worth it!

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Can I ask why it was such a short ownership? It's the main reason why I haven't bought a IS300h and am looking so hard for a BEV since fuel savings alone would allow me to buy one.
I'm so passioned about it that I made (compel being a better word) fiancé try one with me, almost fear for my life afterwards but it was totally worth it!

Whoo...that's a long story. I've pulled an all nighter on a Ford related model program, but want to go to sleep for at least a few hours lol.

• Youthful indiscretion
  • Grew up very conservatively and felt my G35S 6MT sedan & G55 weren't enough "cool" on a down to earth, tuner boyracer level
  • Quarter Life Crisis-Everything I had/did was vanilla or fit a very uppity mold, needed to feel like a carefree boyracer teen before UG graduation/entering professional career)
    • Dressing down for once, wearing snapbacks, going to more car meets,etc lol
  • Was goaded into it by clever salesman who saw my (family's) Riverside Dr address and pulled the wool over my eyes for a quick payday, despite no prior automotive credit history.
  • Resented 4-5% APR on a new car.
  • Hated RA62 gearbox so much in this car, which was so different from my V36 G35 (down in TX).
  • Family (down in TX) thought it was a stupid car (they didn't get it)
  • Wanted to establish my credit, but definitely wanted a faster car in the end, on drives outside of Manhattan and it wasn't the fast tuner I envisioned like an STi.
  • I felt like the scene for those the twins wasn't there yet and they somehow felt uncool in 2012-13. They picked up momentum as they got cheaper and used in mid-late 2010s.
  • I was still a bit of a prissy b*tch, so away it went after 5-6 months, because I was moving back to England in September 2013 anyway and didn't want it to hog space in family parking. Felt stupid for buying it.
Sitting in one a while back, it realized it wasn't a bad car and I could have plenty could have afforded to keep it. It was a cool car in the end, but I just couldn't appreciate it back then. I was too caught up in my expectations.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
@Carmaker1 : I have questions on a couple of these:

2021 Sienna - DELAYED
Between your previous comments and what I've read on just-auto, after several delays I had pieced together a 2021 Sienna timetable of dealer ordering beginning in July 2020, Job 1 to September 2020, for November 2020 launch. Has this been delayed yet again?

2021 Yaris - January 2021.
That's a surprisingly late SOP for the North American Mazda2-based Yaris. Any reason for that? Midterm facelift to extend the life of a vehicle almost due for replacement? Or is the 3rd-gen (in North America, 5th worldwide) Mazda2 due soon?

Will1991

Reactions
I see, coming from a V6 and specially a V8 going to one of the twins... It must felt a bit lethargic going WOT specially on a long straight... They just don't have that raw power feel, it's more of how they feel and make you feel in my opinion.
My GT86 test-drive was the most fun I had driving a car, and in 2018 I got an opportunity to track a Yaris GRMN.

Reactions
@Carmaker1 : I have questions on a couple of these:
Between your previous comments and what I've read on just-auto, after several delays I had pieced together a 2021 Sienna timetable of dealer ordering beginning in July 2020, Job 1 to September 2020, for November 2020 launch. Has this been delayed yet again?

I have been following the continued delay on the Sienna for a while also, and my source got an update last week with the same "unknown" delay. Final orders for the 2020 Sienna should still be due in the next 2 weeks, but ordering and SOP for the 2021 Sienna is now "to be determined."

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

"Toyota to release two all-new hybrids on May 18"

My thought is Sienna and Venza... hard to imagine what else they might be at this point. That would significantly move up the timeframe for the Sienna when many here heard about delays.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

My thought is Sienna and Venza... hard to imagine what else they might be at this point. That would significantly move up the timeframe for the Sienna when many here heard about delays.

those delays were most likely due to covid situation and they might still be a way off from production. Maybe now with latest data, they predict car sales will go back faster than predicted?

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions

My guess is Sienna and Venza

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The ChDM Sienna/K-SUV have been confirmed to be hybrid-only as well. So at this moment it's a given.

With the now readjusted 5 million hybrid by 2025 plan, we will see more and more hybrid-only models in their lineup.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Weird that their chart uses both "Crossover" and "CUV" as they are the same thing.

I guess it could be Corolla Cross vs. Venza first, but definitely Sienna for one of the reveals.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Weird that their chart uses both "Crossover" and "CUV" as they are the same thing.

I guess it could be Corolla Cross vs. Venza first, but definitely Sienna for one of the reveals.
By Crossover they mean something streamlined like the C-HR or other 'coupe style SUV' like X4. Their definition of SUV/CUV is probably the traditional boxy and roomy people hauler like the Highlander. The main difference is 2-row vs. 3-row.