Updated 2016 Lexus GS Lineup Now Includes GS 200t with 2.0L Turbo Engine

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I wonder what the strategy is here? For sales to go up a bit or do they expect sales to stay about the same but more people opt for the 200t?

Its amazing they continue with the 450h considering they promote it zilch here and I believe its special order only.

My opinion is they expect some uptick is sales with the more attractive/lower pricing that goes with 200t and I'm guessing turbo4 will be the predominate engine like the BMW 5 series.

Hybrids in general are feeling effect of low gas prices, but if they can do 450h in small batches maybe it continues to barely make sense...

Reactions
Tinhinnh and sander are right, it requires more energy to turn. It does not however necessarily imply more friction. Friction would technically remain the same if the width of the wheel remains the same.

To keep it simple and without going into the science of it, if you double the size of the wheel you in reality more than double the energy required to make a complete rotation. Kinda explains why the FT-86/FR-S has small wheels :)
Oh, i though that by having a bigger wheel, a larger amount of tire would be in contact with the ground, therefore a higher amount of friction. But maybe im wrong.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Curious to find out what the price difference will be between the 200t and 350. The new model could significantly add to GS sales...

Reactions: CIF

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I wonder what the strategy is here? For sales to go up a bit or do they expect sales to stay about the same but more people opt for the 200t?

Its amazing they continue with the 450h considering they promote it zilch here and I believe its special order only.

probably more since 2.0t will be lower priced...

As to 450h, it is obviously built for other markets so it is cool that Lexus offers it in the USA. Last time we had numbers for, overall over 20% of GS sales are for GS450h which is probably more than V8 ever got. But this is worldwide and includes US where sales are horrible so in many other markets 450h was the only option and still really expensive one too.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Love the updated 5 spoke wheels. I dislike the trend of ever-thinner spoke wheels, with fat spoke wheels seemingly becoming a rare sight. Refreshing to see this.

Also disappointed that one of the biggest changes was not shown off; laser-etched wood for the Luxury Package. That looks spectacular on the RX, would have been great to see what it looks like on the GS.

They did a very solid job with the exterior updates. I'm really liking it.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Love the updated 5 spoke wheels. I dislike the trend of ever-thinner spoke wheels, with fat spoke wheels seemingly becoming a rare sight. Refreshing to see this.

Also disappointed that one of the biggest changes was not shown off; laser-etched wood for the Luxury Package. That looks spectacular on the RX, would have been great to see what it looks like on the GS.

They did a very solid job with the exterior updates. I'm really liking it.

thanks to you i noticed new 5 spoke wheels, i love those... hated those multispokes. I also didnt like colors in pics, i sure hope they show us more colors as soon as possible.

Matte wood if thats what you meant was in the pics of GS200t, just no closeups...

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
To me, the front of the refreshed GS looks good to me, despite at some angles, the front bumper looks a bit in your face and too aggressive to some people. The area around the headlights and the L-shaped running lights is too busy. It would be interesting to see how it looks in F-sport trim.

Finally,no more embarrassment about the headlights between IS and GS --- GS has standard single lens LED headlights where IS has single lens HID headlights

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Matte wood if thats what you meant was in the pics of GS200t, just no closeups...

No, not the matte wood, the laser-etched wood like the new RX as well (which I believe will also be optional in a Luxury Package):

2016-Lexus-RX-14.jpg

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
its not getting that... they added matte wood though to the existing interior options.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
its not getting that... they added matte wood though to the existing interior options.

According to the official Lexus press release, yes it is in fact getting the laser-cut wood.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/lexus+2016+gs+200t+350+450h+product+news.htm

Every year Pebble Beach brings together the best in elegance and technology from decades past. The 2016 Lexus GS presents a modern interpretation—exemplified by new interior trim selections including laser cut wood, Matte Walnut, Linear 3D and for the F SPORT, Naguri aluminum.

This is the exact same laser-cut wood as being offered on the new RX. It looks far more striking IMHO than the matte wood, so a shame they didn't show it off at the debut.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions