Updated 2016 Lexus GS Lineup Now Includes GS 200t with 2.0L Turbo Engine

Reactions
Blane - #3, the MPG difference is caused by going from 17" to 19" wheels. MPG declines with increasing wheel sizes.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Looks very good although I think the front could be slightly more restrained it is a bit much. Overall a stunning looking car, however Lexus need to look into their styling department the latest cars from various competitors are equal or better looking than Lexus.
The spindle grille has served its purpose Lexus Cars are noticed on the road, now it is time to restrain and refine this distinctive look. Classic is the way to go, I notice that someone in this thread said that people would say that this car is just a Toyota after all! Well it is and proud of it - possibly the best Brand in the world and it does Lexus no harm to use this association to the full.

Reactions
Blane - #3, the MPG difference is caused by going from 17" to 19" wheels. MPG declines with increasing wheel sizes.
That doesn't sound right, can that really be that drastic? 3 mpg sounds like a lot for just changing the wheel diameter 2 inches. Also I've never heard that happening with other cars either. Wouldn't all car manufacturers mention a drop in mpg if you go with an optional wheel package or something?

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Looks very good although I think the front could be slightly more restrained it is a bit much. Overall a stunning looking car, however Lexus need to look into their styling department the latest cars from various competitors are equal or better looking than Lexus.
The spindle grille has served its purpose Lexus Cars are noticed on the road, now it is time to restrain and refine this distinctive look. Classic is the way to go, I notice that someone in this thread said that people would say that this car is just a Toyota after all! Well it is and proud of it - possibly the best Brand in the world and it does Lexus no harm to use this association to the full.

Reactions
Blane, it is very real and happens to all cars and all car manufacturers. It is well known and documented. It's only a 2 mpg difference. I think the only reason that have to publish the difference is that they are selling a separate model with larger wheels. For the S-Class Mercedes, for example, they base the standard mpg on the 18" wheels. People with the 19" and 20" wheels are not getting the published mpg, but the people with the 18's are. The same thing happens with my friend's Prius. He has the 17" wheels on a package 5 model and never gets the published mpg which uses 16" wheels.

Reactions
I don't know about anyone else but I think the front looks great! Because it looks almost exactly like the concept shown in 2012. And that's how Lexus should've originally built the GS with that grille instead of the one currently.

ACEtheOG

Founding Member
Reactions
I love the GS, but personally would never consider a 4 banger in this segment and the new front end is too busy... GS-F was more tastefully executed.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
I am not a mathematician but wouldn't it stand to reason that a larger diameter wheel advances the vehicle a greater distance with less revolutions than a smaller diameter wheel? If so, then why less MPG? Doesn't sound right to me.

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
I must say, I prefer the headlight shape (bigger) of the current ones better. And whats with the blank space at the bottom of the two main gauges?

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
I must say, I prefer the headlight shape (bigger) of the current ones better. And whats with the blank space at the bottom of the two main gauges?

Probably the space where all the icons/alerts appear.

I may be a minority here but this car doesn't have me jumping out of my seat. They did an almost great job with the taillights but everything else .. meh.

I still hate their navi screen. Why they stick to 3d rectangles, I will never understand. Every time I look at their navi screen, I'm reminded of my 2009 Lexus. Every single iteration/version is just a minor face lift. Nothing special.

I appreciate the fact that Lexus does not want to be a copy of the German cars and wants to add a Japanese flavor to their designs but why can't they be as simple as their food? Their culture is built on beauty through simplicity rather than over the top downtown Tokyo billboards.

They need to go back and study what made their IS successful? Why was the LFA successful?

The LFA looked like a normal sports car but once you find out how it was made, the attention to detail, the sound engineered exhaust tune, etc... you sit there and marvel at it. That's why Lexus haters LOVED it. It wasn't a Lamborghini Aventador, with sharp angles and distinctive looks, it was simply a perfect car.

Polarizing views aren't the only thing customers look for. In fact, polarizing looks can create a life long hate for a car manufacturer.

For example, I think the QX80 looks like a whale. Even if they redesign the car, I may not necessarily consider it because I would continue to believe that the car has not changed its looks, even if the car had above and beyond what I wanted at a lower price point. It's not that I'm naive, it's because people,in general, are biased.

I don't know if Lexus will ever become a leader, I hope they do, but I honestly can't see it.

No, I'm not trolling. I simply don't ride bandwagons and I look forward to the day where other car lovers email me pictures/videos of the latest Lexus.

Reactions: RAL

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-08-16-lexus-gs-2016-live-photos-400x200.jpg

The new 2016 Lexus GS 200t debuted alongside the updated Lexus LX at Concours d’Elegance in Pebble Beach this week.
View the original article post

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Pretty much expected, and not much to be excited about sadly.

Reactions
I am not a mathematician but wouldn't it stand to reason that a larger diameter wheel advances the vehicle a greater distance with less revolutions than a smaller diameter wheel? If so, then why less MPG? Doesn't sound right to me.
it requires more energy to turn the wheels, and there is a lot more friction in bigger wheels.

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
it requires more energy to turn the wheels, and there is a lot more friction in bigger wheels.
same concept as a bicycle: when you change to gear to bigger sprocket, it requires more energy to turn it.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
Tinhinnh and sander are right, it requires more energy to turn. It does not however necessarily imply more friction. Friction would technically remain the same if the width of the wheel remains the same.

To keep it simple and without going into the science of it, if you double the size of the wheel you in reality more than double the energy required to make a complete rotation. Kinda explains why the FT-86/FR-S has small wheels :)

mikeavelli

Reactions
I wonder what the strategy is here? For sales to go up a bit or do they expect sales to stay about the same but more people opt for the 200t?

Its amazing they continue with the 450h considering they promote it zilch here and I believe its special order only.

Reactions: CIF