Trade in the GX460 for ......

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Well one tip I can give you is that if you have decided fully on the Audi, just be prepared for a different reliability experience than you have had with Lexus.

Audi's bad old reliability days are becoming just that.....a thing of the past. The brand, as a whole, has made astounding reliability gains in the last several years. According to Consumer Reports, it now ranks fourth.....behind Lexus, Toyota, and Buick.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Audi's bad old reliability days are becoming just that.....a thing of the past. The brand, as a whole, has made astounding reliability gains in the last several years. According to Consumer Reports, it now ranks fourth.....behind Lexus, Toyota, and Buick.

Agree with this. We have had hardly no problems with the Vossen R8 V10 Plus and S8. Pretty damn flawless and impressive. I have no issues highly recommending a new Audi with no worries on quality on the new models.

I was just driving the S8 again today and I am still in love.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Wait, the new Q7 has run flats? Wow that is quite unusual I must say. That is very rare to see, for a large crossover to have run flats. I don't follow Audi much so I had no idea.

Reactions
Hi..

The American Public Media radio show Marketplace recently tackled the question whether modern vehicles were actually more expensive once you factored in important variables like inflation and cost of ownership.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Factoring in depreciation, is a very big part in cost of ownership.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Hi..

The American Public Media radio show Marketplace recently tackled the question whether modern vehicles were actually more expensive once you factored in important variables like inflation and cost of ownership.

Here's an interesting comparison: When I was growing up, half a century ago, the cost of the average new car sold back then, around $2800-3000 or so (trucks and SUVs were a negligible factor back then), was about half of the average worker's annual salary...though, of course, there were many more two-parent families where the husband worked as the breadwinner and the wife stayed at home with the kids. Today, the cost of the average new vehicle sold in the American market (about ten times that figure, or around $30,000), remarkably, is still about half of the average family yearly income, although the big difference is that far more families today have two working parents....because of inflation and stagnant wages, that has become almost universal. Also, back then, it was usually one or two vehicles to a family.....today, you often have more.

Last edited:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Here's an interesting comparison: When I was growing up, half a century ago, the cost of the average new car sold back then, around $2800-3000 or so (trucks and SUVs were a negligible factor back then), was about half of the average worker's annual salary...though, of course, there were many more two-parent families where the husband worked as the breadwinner and the wife stayed at home with the kids. Today, the cost of the average new vehicle sold in the American market (about ten times that figure, or around $30,000), remarkably, is still about half of the average family yearly income, although the big difference is that far more families today have two working parents....because of inflation and stagnant wages, that has become almost universal. Also, back then, it was usually one or two vehicles to a family.....today, you often have more.

Not 100% sure, but I think you might be talking to a robot.

o_O

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Audi Q7.

All I have owned are Lexuses (or Lexi?) for the past 12 yrs. When I got married, I turned my wife onto Lexus. But, after our accident in 2015, the GX wasn't the same. It still had a smooth ride, quiet, but it didn't feel .... "tight" and put together well (AC made a high pitch noise on low, brakes felt mushy, vibration at 65mph intermittently). My 09 GS with 110K miles feels and looks like it has 45K miles on it - vs - the GX with 65K and felt it had 200K.

So, wife really didn't need a truck based SUV but wanted a third row. We test drove the Q7 and she fell in love. The tech on it is insane, or maybe I've been living under a rock or something. Its not as intuitive as the touch screen in the GX, but the Audi MMI stuff takes some time to get use to it. I do like the 4 zone climate control, all the cameras, the moon roof, the virtual cockpit.

Anyone have any tips, comments, what I need to look out for, whats the first MOD i should do (if I do anything), etc...

Back on topic, if you or your wife are still interested in a new Q7, Audi, in the Atlanta region (I assume you are still there) has a 3-year lease-offer of $499 a month with $4289 down, good through May 1.

http://www.audisouthatlanta.com/glo...V-Offers-US2017AUD1c5b551ce3e2fd3c5f99b3b.htm

I recently checked a new Q7 out in the showroom (didn't test-drive it). Seemed quite impressive inside and out, except for the somewhat overly-complex shifter on the console that was not quite as intuitive or natural to use as the simpler shifters on the Q5 and Q3.

Last edited: