Trade in the GX460 for ......

DoingDamage

Premium Member
Reactions
Audi Q7.

All I have owned are Lexuses (or Lexi?) for the past 12 yrs. When I got married, I turned my wife onto Lexus. But, after our accident in 2015, the GX wasn't the same. It still had a smooth ride, quiet, but it didn't feel .... "tight" and put together well (AC made a high pitch noise on low, brakes felt mushy, vibration at 65mph intermittently). My 09 GS with 110K miles feels and looks like it has 45K miles on it - vs - the GX with 65K and felt it had 200K.

So, wife really didn't need a truck based SUV but wanted a third row. We test drove the Q7 and she fell in love. The tech on it is insane, or maybe I've been living under a rock or something. Its not as intuitive as the touch screen in the GX, but the Audi MMI stuff takes some time to get use to it. I do like the 4 zone climate control, all the cameras, the moon roof, the virtual cockpit.

Anyone have any tips, comments, what I need to look out for, whats the first MOD i should do (if I do anything), etc...

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I am not personally a huge fan of the Q7 for a few reasons, but this is just my opinion.

1) There's a lot of black plastic on the dashboard and center console. Not sure how Audi gets away with this when so many people say they build some of the nicest interiors in luxury vehicles. I was not really impressed at all.

2) The exterior design looks much more like an A6 avant than ever before. There are some nice appearance packages with the big split 5 spoke wheels, and that helps aesthetically, but overall, the design is just kind of lackluster in my opinion.

I'm not sure how your wife drives, but it's widely expected that the Lexus RX 350/450h L will land later this year with 3 rows. Other than that, I personally like the X5 a lot and always have. Mercedes GLS would be another option.

Sorry to hear that your GX is not up to snuff after the repairs... the accident didn't look too bad in pics!

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Well one tip I can give you is that if you have decided fully on the Audi, just be prepared for a different reliability experience than you have had with Lexus.

Other than that, I would personally agree with Gecko and at least wait for the RX L to land, and compare that to the Q7.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Audi Q7.

All I have owned are Lexuses (or Lexi?) for the past 12 yrs. When I got married, I turned my wife onto Lexus. But, after our accident in 2015, the GX wasn't the same. It still had a smooth ride, quiet, but it didn't feel .... "tight" and put together well (AC made a high pitch noise on low, brakes felt mushy, vibration at 65mph intermittently). My 09 GS with 110K miles feels and looks like it has 45K miles on it - vs - the GX with 65K and felt it had 200K.

So, wife really didn't need a truck based SUV but wanted a third row. We test drove the Q7 and she fell in love. The tech on it is insane, or maybe I've been living under a rock or something. Its not as intuitive as the touch screen in the GX, but the Audi MMI stuff takes some time to get use to it. I do like the 4 zone climate control, all the cameras, the moon roof, the virtual cockpit.

Anyone have any tips, comments, what I need to look out for, whats the first MOD i should do (if I do anything), etc...

I agree the Q7 has some nifty features, it drives like a car and has some options the GX does not offer. MMi takes some getting used to but I like it. Our Vossen Audi S8 has been pretty flawless with quality. The R8 V-10 plus had a minor hiccup and since then has been perfect. I'm not worried about reliability. Fit and finish has been impeccable. They drive very well. I'm a huge fan of the new Audi's.

As for mods, you can lower it and add wheels hahahha. There is also a really sick kit done by this company in Russia. We looked at the Q7 before deciding on the RX and my wife didn't care for more plain looks of the Q7.

Audi_Q7_VFS2_9c3301e6.jpg

Audi_Q7_VFS1_f0b4e328.jpg

For fun lol

Audi_Q7_CV3R_1d867201.jpg

mikeavelli

Reactions
In addition Canada just debuted a really sick individual Q7. The man in charge is actually a member and lurker on our forum! :)

IMG_1714.JPG

Interior is nuts!
IMG_1715.JPG

Reactions: RAL

PTien

Fan
Reactions
Audi Q7.

Thanks Mike for calling me out......lol
So a little background on me, I used to be the Product planner for Lexus Canada for all passenger vehicles and for the last 2 years I've been the product manager for Audi Canada on A6, A7, A8, Q7 and Audi exclusive.

Though I think Lexus makes a great product, I think Audi and Lexus fit different needs for customers. Lexus builds a vehicle that has lower running cost and has excellent reliability and quality. Audi builds a vehicle that is innovative, dynamic and has top fit and finish.

In my opinion, (and I know saying this on a Lexus forum will get me murdered) is Lexus is able to gain their reliability through a lack of innovation. When I was at Lexus we spun this by saying we had tired and true technology.

In any case, the decision is yours to make. I personally love the new Q7, the technology, comfort and fit and finish are top notch (plus android auto and apple carplay). If you plan on modifying, I would recommend the air suspension option, some say it makes the Q7 look more like a wagon, but I personally like that.

Please let me know if you need any more info.

The special edition that Mike was so kind to share is a 75 unit Canada only special edition done through the factory customization program called Audi exclusive. It has a customized exterior paint in Sepang Blue, with black optics package and a 21" wheel design from the RS7. The interior is in black and grey valcona leather with blue contrast stitching to match the outside. The inlay is called Beaufort Oak/Aluminum, the headliner is in black alacantara, the door inserts are in grey alcanatara, and the steering wheel is customized with perforated leather at 3 and 9 position with blue contrast stitching. The contrast stitching follows though on the **** knob boot cover.

Anyway if you have any questions about the Q7 I'd be happy to help answer them. Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF6193.JPG
    DSCF6193.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • DSCF6199.JPG
    DSCF6199.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
  • DSCF6202.JPG
    DSCF6202.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 8

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
In my opinion, (and I know saying this on a Lexus forum will get me murdered) is Lexus is able to gain their reliability through a lack of innovation. When I was at Lexus we spun this by saying we had tired and true technology.

I honestly don't disagree a bit. Toyota and Lexus went on autopilot for the last decade and I'm hoping that the new LS is the look of things to come. So far, I'm encouraged but what you said is certainly fair.

Also, thanks for sharing your insights with us! Sounds like you have a great job at Audi!

DoingDamage

Premium Member
Reactions
I Should have said "Traded".

I love cars, like really love them. But you guys offer so many different incites, it makes me feel like it's just puppy love.

The reliability ratings for Audi have gotten better in recent years. We stayed away from the Benz and Beemer because i still read several issues with them (more Benz). The way the Audi drives is fantastic. And the tech, plus better gas mileage, more leg room for a big guy like me (imagine Mike but 100lbs extra).

And I'm a fan of the interior.
20170228_193953.jpg

DoingDamage

Premium Member
Reactions
Thanks Mike for calling me out......lol
So a little background on me, I used to be the Product planner for Lexus Canada for all passenger vehicles and for the last 2 years I've been the product manager for Audi Canada on A6, A7, A8, Q7 and Audi exclusive.

Though I think Lexus makes a great product, I think Audi and Lexus fit different needs for customers. Lexus builds a vehicle that has lower running cost and has excellent reliability and quality. Audi builds a vehicle that is innovative, dynamic and has top fit and finish.

In any case, the decision is yours to make. I personally love the new Q7, the technology, comfort and fit and finish are top notch (plus android auto and apple carplay). If you plan on modifying, I would recommend the air suspension option, some say it makes the Q7 look more like a wagon, but I personally like that.

Please let me know if you need any more info.

The special edition that Mike was so kind to share is a 75 unit Canada only special edition done through the factory customization program called Audi exclusive. It has a customized exterior paint in Sepang Blue, with black optics package and a 21" wheel design from the RS7. The interior is in black and grey valcona leather with blue contrast stitching to match the outside. The inlay is called Beaufort Oak/Aluminum, the headliner is in black alacantara, the door inserts are in grey alcanatara, and the steering wheel is customized with perforated leather at 3 and 9 position with blue contrast stitching. The contrast stitching follows though on the **** knob boot cover.

Anyway if you have any questions about the Q7 I'd be happy to help answer them. Thanks

That's sick. So beautiful.

I like the wheels, too. Saw them on the RS at the dealership.

DoingDamage

Premium Member
Reactions
Another thing that surprised me ... the V6 can tow 7700 lbs! Not that i have a boat to tote, but i was amazed at how much.

Another thing that surprised me ... no spare tire. Not even offered. You have a can of fix-a-flat, and run flats, but .... just makes me nervous. If something shreds the tire (possible?), then you just have to wait for a tow truck?

DoingDamage

Premium Member
Reactions
Well one tip I can give you is that if you have decided fully on the Audi, just be prepared for a different reliability experience than you have had with Lexus.

Other than that, I would personally agree with Gecko and at least wait for the RX L to land, and compare that to the Q7.

Yeah. My mechanic told me put $1000 aside every year for maintenance or repair for the Audi. Maybe we get lucky and have no issues or this will bring us back to Lexus in a couple of years.

PTien

Fan
Reactions
Another thing that surprised me ... the V6 can tow 7700 lbs! Not that i have a boat to tote, but i was amazed at how much.

Another thing that surprised me ... no spare tire. Not even offered. You have a can of fix-a-flat, and run flats, but .... just makes me nervous. If something shreds the tire (possible?), then you just have to wait for a tow truck?

The 2.0T can also tow 7700lbs!!!

I'm not sure how the USA offers the vehicle but in Canada we have 19" and 20" with run flats (21" you can't get in a run flat) This has helped our customer with that piece of mind. The reason for the no spare is the 7 passenger as standard in North America. We just weren't able to package it in.

PTien

Fan
Reactions
Yeah. My mechanic told me put $1000 aside every year for maintenance or repair for the Audi. Maybe we get lucky and have no issues or this will bring us back to Lexus in a couple of years.

I would disagree with that.... Again I'm not sure about maintenance plans in the US but in Canada we have Audi Care which is a pre-paid maintenance plan is a significant discount vs. paying at dealer and also covers other items.

PTien

Fan
Reactions
I Should have said "Traded".

I love cars, like really love them. But you guys offer so many different incites, it makes me feel like it's just puppy love.

The reliability ratings for Audi have gotten better in recent years. We stayed away from the Benz and Beemer because i still read several issues with them (more Benz). The way the Audi drives is fantastic. And the tech, plus better gas mileage, more leg room for a big guy like me (imagine Mike but 100lbs extra).

And I'm a fan of the interior.
View attachment 2101

I personally don't like the wood trim combinations the USA choose for the Q7 (ie the piano black). In Canada we offer brushed aluminum
where the USA has piano black trim.

zfm0td.jpeg

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I personally don't like the wood trim combinations the USA choose for the Q7 (ie the piano black). In Canada we offer brushed aluminum
where the USA has piano black trim.

A year ago I would've said brushed aluminum was a more modern look than piano black, but the iPhone 7 brought glossy black back (my 7 Plus and my Apple Watch are both that color). Audi USA must have someone spying on Jony Ive.

PTien

Fan
Reactions
A year ago I would've said brushed aluminum was a more modern look than piano black, but the iPhone 7 brought glossy black back (my 7 Plus and my Apple Watch are both that color). Audi USA must have someone spying on Jony Ive.

I think you misunderstood me, I'm not saying piano black doesn't look good. I'm saying piano black in combination with the other inlay on a Q7 interior doesn't look good. It has nothing to do with what's modern or trendy it has everything to do with what looks good on the car.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I think you misunderstood me, I'm not saying piano black doesn't look good. I'm saying piano black in combination with the other inlay on a Q7 interior doesn't look good. It has nothing to do with what's modern or trendy it has everything to do with what looks good on the car.

I understood you fine, I was just commenting a bit on what might drive consumer reaction to those options. Given that photo I'd personally go with even a lighter/brighter aluminum trim if possible, because that dash is super dark looking and could use some contrasting elements.