Toyota Supra fans....Looks like a new one might be on the way.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I cant wait for that car to make it to production. My last sports(ish) car was a 92 Nissan 240 SX and although the 2008 GS350 RWD was fun and all, it was nowhere near being a proper sports car. I have already started saving up for this beauty...

The GS was never meant to be anywhere near the 240 SX in terms of sportiness....simply a Lexus sedan with a touch more sportiness than that found in the ES or LS. And, of course, the 240 SX itself was actually considered more of a sport coupe than a true sports car.

Reactions
The GS was never meant to be anywhere near the 240 SX in terms of sportiness....simply a Lexus sedan with a touch more sportiness than that found in the ES or LS. And, of course, the 240 SX itself was actually considered more of a sport coupe than a true sports car.
True, but after installing the Fsport shocks, lowering springs and the exhaust, it definitely felt a lot different than a regular GS. And it definitely had the acceleration, thanks to the reduced weight of the RWD.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
True, but after installing the Fsport shocks, lowering springs and the exhaust, it definitely felt a lot different than a regular GS. And it definitely had the acceleration, thanks to the reduced weight of the RWD.

The full GS-F will be on the market soon. That will be quite a machine, though not quite the power level of its E63 AMG competition. It will also cost significantly less....starting around 75K.

Reactions
The full GS-F will be on the market soon. That will be quite a machine, though not quite the power level of its E63 AMG competition. It will also cost significantly less....starting around 75K.
You just reminded me how hard it is to make the decision of what cars I want in my life. :(

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
You just reminded me how hard it is to make the decision of what cars I want in my life. :(

One thing that probably goes without saying, though, is that, regardless of what might be one's dream machine, not to buy more car than one can afford. That alone will probably narrow the choice considerably, and perhaps help make the choice easier. :);)

Before I retired from Federal service, for example, one of my supervisors fell in love with the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP....a mid-sized, supercharged 3.8L V6 sport-sedan produced by GM some years ago. He got a decent deal on one for that type of car, but still decided, after a year or so, that, being newly-married with a baby on the way, that spending that on a car each month was too much. He traded it (before it had depreciated too much) in on a much less expensive Chevy Cavalier with the sport Z24 package, and found the payments a lot easier on the wallet. Quality-wise, I didn't think much of the Cavalier at the time (or the Grand Prix. either), but he liked it. Your situation, of course, will depend on your own finances and responsibilities (we don't need to know the details), but the basic principle is still the same.....don't bite off more than one can chew. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions
One thing that probably goes without saying, though, is that, regardless of what might be one's dream machine, not to buy more car than one can afford. That alone will probably narrow the choice considerably, and perhaps help make the choice easier. :);)

Before I retired from Federal service, for example, one of my supervisors fell in love with the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP....a mid-sized, supercharged 3.8L V6 sport-sedan produced by GM some years ago. He got a decent deal on one for that type of car, but still decided, after a year or so, that, being newly-married with a baby on the way, that spending that on a car each month was too much. He traded it (before it had depreciated too much) in on a much less expensive Chevy Cavalier with the sport Z24 package, and found the payments a lot easier on the wallet. Quality-wise, I didn't think much of the Cavalier at the time (or of the Grand Prix. either), but he liked it. Your situation, of course, will depend on your own finances and responsibilities (we don't need to know the details), but the basic principle is still the same.....don't bite off more than one can chew. ;)
Well said my friend, and a lot of people don't realize that these days. Showing off your new car might put a smile on your face for a whole but it's not pretty when you can't afford the service or better yet, when it gets repossessed.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
With the Supra, I think Toyota will do what it did with the BR-Z/FR-S: BMW will supply the block (I6) and Toyota will probably tune their own injection system, turbos, manifolds and possibly a transmission. I would assume that a 6MT would be sourced from BMW but not sure about an automatic option.

Reactions: CIF
Reactions
With the Supra, I think Toyota will do what it did with the BR-Z/FR-S: BMW will supply the block (I6) and Toyota will probably tune their own injection system, turbos, manifolds and possibly a transmission. I would assume that a 6MT would be sourced from BMW but not sure about an automatic option.
I hope they do have an option for a manual tranny, but i wouldn't want the Toyota 6MT that came in the IS250. That was, in my opinion, the worst shifting transmission i have ever experienced.
I do agree with you about the BMW block with Toyota electronics on it, they (Toyota components) are pretty reliable and probably a lot cheaper to replace if need be than a BMW part.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I hope they do have an option for a manual tranny, but I wouldn't want the Toyota 6MT that came in the IS250. That was, in my opinion, the worst shifting transmission i have ever experienced.

Yeah, I can't necessarily vouch for the later 6-speed, but I remember the 5-speed manual in the 2002 1Gen IS300...that wasn't the best shift-linkage I ever tried out, either. You could tell that Lexus installed those 5-speeds only in response to media and enthusiast pressure, without really doing much work on them.

But I wouldn't say it is the worst shifting manual transmission I ever tried, by any means. I'm old enough to remember some unsynchronized first-gear manual boxes, where you had to slow virtually to a stop to engage first gear without crunching. Even worse were the older totally unsynchronized boxes, where you either had to double-clutch or do the heel-and-toe method in EVERY gear to keep from crunching....fortunately, I managed to avoid those.

Reactions
Yeah, I can't necessarily vouch for the later 6-speed, but I remember the 5-speed manual in the 2002 1Gen IS300...that wasn't the best shift-linkage I ever tried out, either. You could tell that Lexus installed those 5-speeds only in response to media and enthusiast pressure, without really doing much work on them.

But I wouldn't say it is the worst shifting manual transmission I ever tried, by any means. I'm old enough to remember some unsynchronized first-gear manual boxes, where you had to slow virtually to a stop to engage first gear without crunching. Even worse were the older totally unsynchronized boxes, where you either had to double-clutch or do the heel-and-toe method in EVERY gear to keep from crunching....fortunately, I managed to avoid those.
I am no race car driver but I can definitely say that the shift feel for the old IS 5MT was much smoother and better feel than the 6MT in the 2nd gen IS. Unfortunately, I never got to drive a supra with a twin turbo setup and 6MT. Apparently those were some good transmissions, from what I've heard.

mikeavelli

Reactions
If they truly want to make a statement. Bring a manual to the table. Odd to think Toyota likely wants it more than BMW does.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The power plants are all new. Everything is new. What I'm saying is BMW is moving away from manuals but the Toyota chief engineer is still keen on them and how involving they are, even if it makes for a slower car around the track.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions

Great point, I can't believe I didn't think of that. If BMW supplies just the I6 block, and Toyota designs and tunes everything else, then I might be okay with that. However based on the current rumors, this seems unlikely. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
I think you guys are having your hopes set too high (hopefully I'm wrong). I pretty sure it will be pretty much a BMW mechanically, and no much different from other BMW coupes but with Toyota sheet metal.