Toyota EV/eTNGA Rumor Thread

shizhi

Follower
Reactions
Two new BEVs and one PHEV.
I don't know whether to calculate the Toyota brand alone or include the Lexus brand.
Considering two brands, Bev should be BZ4X and RZ450e, Phev is NX450h+.

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions
According to GreenCarReports one of the BEV's is a RAV4~Mirai sedan:

toyota-u-s-electrified-vehicles-presentation--february-2021_100781027_h.jpg

what-is-this-toyota-electric-car_100781029_h.jpg

Source: 2022 Toyota electric sedan and crossover: What we know about upcoming EVs, platform (greencarreports.com)

Reactions

I was thinking this to myself some months ago.

The Prius was the car that redefined the market and really made hybrids mainstream. What if the new Prius switches to an electric powertrain instead? That would be Toyota trying to showcase and redefine the Prius (and to the same extent, the market) again as most of the other Toyotas have a hybrid option now.

So here's my proposition, what if it's the Prius? It is nearing the end of its cycle anyways.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The Prius was the car that redefined the market and really made hybrids mainstream. What if the new Prius switches to an electric powertrain instead? That would be Toyota trying to showcase and redefine the Prius (and to the same extent, the market) again as most of the other Toyotas have a hybrid option now.

100% agreed. I think I've said before that the Prius is no longer interesting because basically everything Toyota makes is available with HSD now. The way to make the Prius look like the future again would absolutely be BEV.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
One thing I missed is them testing full electric next-gen Hilux. It won't be a mass market product like Cyber Truck but for very specific customers like mining companies. There are third party conversion companies making full electric LC70s for mines where diesel emissions are dangerous. What I think would happen is Toyota partnering with one of those companies and provide dealer-installed conversion kits. It also makes sense for farming and tourism. Wind and solar power are easier to access in remote areas than fuel. All that is needed are a few turbines or solar panels to charge up the truck.

These electric trucks will use very conservative battery chemistry since an inextinguishable fire is the last thing you want in a closed area filled with toxic flammable gas.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
it will be interesting what X prologue is - Yaris Cross sized? CHR sized? Corolla Cross sized?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
So... Aygo X is different from the eTNGA midsize SUV, right?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Right. Aygo X is the crossover version of the Europe-only, tiny Aygo, built on and sharing the Yaris' TNGA-B platform (but smaller than the Yaris). To keep prices down, Aygo has not even offered a hybrid version.

Thank you for clarifying. Thread titles have been edited!

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Right. Aygo X is the crossover version of the Europe-only, tiny Aygo, built on and sharing the Yaris' TNGA-B platform (but smaller than the Yaris). To keep prices down, Aygo has not even offered a hybrid version.

yeah, it is next gen Aygo, slightly raised due to larger tires and new platform, but still incredibly small at 3.7m

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Some recent 'insider knowledge' on Toyota's global electrification strategy. Note these are hearsay from chinese EV industry investors so I am not sure about the correctness:

Back in 2016 during the corporate struggle the 'Old Guards' faction was firmly against BEVs (and electrification in general, including FCVs). In November of that year Akio Toyoda established the EV strategy group led by himself. It was at the same time the C-HR/Izoa/UX EV program was initiated. The power struggle lasted a year with Akio's faction emerging victorious. The major 'purge' of the 'Old Guards' faction happened in January 2018. After that there was no longer opposition to electrification and the roadmap was pushed forward by 5 years with very aggressive timeline. The C-HR EV program was very rushed with a development phase of only 2 years, however they could share a lot of the effort from the ongoing Mirai and ChDM Corolla PHV programs.

The very ambitious E-TNGA program was initiated in late 2017 and to accelerate effort Toyota had to enlisted help from every partner possible. 'BZ' (and Lexus LF-Z) has the fastest development cycle in recent years in TMC: 4 years from conception to production and that's starting from zero: platform, components, plant construction, establish supply chain. This kind of pace was never seen in a 'legacy' carmaker and only possible in a 'start-up' style EV company like NIO. It helps Toyota had so much technological reserve so basic R&D was mostly done and the design and engineering phases were done in parallel. This was only possible because of the 'lego-like' nature of EV platforms.

Within corporate the E-TNGA program was given maximum priority and secrecy. Despite seeming like a 'stereotypical petrolhead' Akio himself actually gave maximum support to the program (after all, EVs balance the carbon credit needed for his purist ICE sportscars). Earlier this year he was misquoted to be unsupportive of BEVs: his comments were more of a criticism on Japan's lack of investment in carbon-neutral power grid.

Last edited: