Toyota "bZ" EV Thread

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Where in the US? Everything I see is asking sticker.

In China where it actually is supposed to sell in numbers and where they have built 2 dedicated factories for it.
Plus bZ3 got discount before it started sales.

Note - you should not buy it even with discount, it is terrible tech.

As to the US, they have sold 731 in Q1 2023. I dont think they have numbers to sell anyway. You should still see discounts once inventory goes up, but i think it is unfair to talk about sales in US since they were never supposed to be big. They also don't qualify for any federal incentives.

In China though, they built 200k/yr factory for it with FAW alone and yes, they already slashed prices heavily to spur demand.
BZ4x base is probably 40% cheaper than Model Y in China today and manages to sell 10x less, despite much larger dealer network (Toyota is/was 2-3 biggest seller in China for a while).

I am sorry to be repetitive, but vehicle itself really does have pretty poor EV technology inside. They need to change their approach completely.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Reactions
So @AutomotivePress was correct several months ago! It is in fact happening! Actually, yesterday Mazda posted patents of their new RX electric sports car with the rotary range-extender and the news about this came out today! How exciting!

I can't wait for the GR Celica and for the new RX-7 (or RX-9) to arrive in a few years.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
Toyota isn't wrong about emissions reductions, it's just not flashy, sexy, cool, or political to go their route. Gas cars will be here for decades from now.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
View attachment 7097

toyota needs to decide if they are going to sell those 1.5m in 2025 or not, according to this pamphlet, they would be harming the world if they do so.

Also, they are predicting to increase bev sales 5x to 200k units this fiscal year

qtb007

Follower
Reactions

This has to be the Large BEV SUV shown at the Dec '21 BEV expo, right?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
They had to recall all 12k bZ3 sold in China due to defective electronic door handles.

What surprises me is they sold 12k bZ3 in just 4 months and it's been growing steadily since launch. FAW is targeting 6-8k/mo by the end of the year. That's still a small number but being so uncompetitive and selling at 1/4 the volume of TM3 is quite impressive to begin with. Meanwhile bZ4X has almost disappeared with ~100 sold per month on FAW side and ~1000/mo on GAC side (since GAC does not have a bZ3 equivalent yet).

larryren

Follower
Reactions
They had to recall all 12k bZ3 sold in China due to defective electronic door handles.

What surprises me is they sold 12k bZ3 in just 4 months and it's been growing steadily since launch. FAW is targeting 6-8k/mo by the end of the year. That's still a small number but being so uncompetitive and selling at 1/4 the volume of TM3 is quite impressive to begin with. Meanwhile bZ4X has almost disappeared with ~100 sold per month on FAW side and ~1000/mo on GAC side (since GAC does not have a bZ3 equivalent yet).
Because FAW-Toyota are "wholeselling" BZ3 with low price and provide it to Tianjin local taxi company and online taxi-hailing service in other city. So you can see that large amount selling number.Some news on website said hailing company buying large number BZ3, average about 90-95k RMB per car. It impossible private user can get this price(near 110k-120k RMB for private)

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Toyota bZ4X Goes From Eco-Warrior To Enforcer As London’s New Police Patrol Car

For the first time since it was introduced, the Toyota bZ4X is getting the “blue light” treatment in the U.K. That means that the all-electric has become an emergency services vehicle now that it has joined the London parks police team.

The new parks police patrol vehicle will act as a response car for the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. In that role, it will patrol a total of 28 parks, open spaces, and cemeteries. It will also be called into action for events like the Notting Hill Carnival.

“With its high quality, versatility and strong environmental credentials, we’re confident the bZ4X will prove its worth with the borough’s parks police and with many other public service fleet customers in the future,” said Neil Broad, General Manager Toyota One Fleet Services.

The EV enters into duty with one of the busiest detachments of parks police force in London, meaning it won’t just be there for showing off in. The squad says it selected the bZ4X because of its all-wheel-drive powertrain and its size: it’s small enough to fit through the gateways and along routes through the public parks it will patrol, but big enough to accommodate all of the equipment the teams driving it require.

In addition, the electric vehicle’s environmental benefits were considered in the selection process. The bZ4X’s lack of tailpipe emissions makes it much more welcome in parks than the diesel vehicles the police force formerly drove.

I don't know when these went into service. I did not see any of these cars while we were in London this past summer.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Toyota bZ4X Goes From Eco-Warrior To Enforcer As London’s New Police Patrol Car

I don't know when these went into service. I did not see any of these cars while we were in London this past summer.

they barely started delivering them now... I saw one or two BZs in London when I was there last month, but a lot, lot, lot more gray import JDM Previas that everyone is using for Uber.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
1700615399388.png1700615406852.png1700615415041.png1700615422026.png

Toyota debuted these two concepts recently at Guangzhou Auto Show, the "Enjoyable Space" SUV concept and "Comfortable Space" sedan concept.

Personally really digging the sedan, reminds me of the Crown Crossover but way better proportioned and better rear.