Reactions
"The bZ3 is a battery electric sedan jointly developed for the Chinese market"

So... Not coming to EU...

qtb007

Follower
Reactions

I wonder if there won't be a different version of the bZ3 for western markets. The Corolla and Camry traditionally have been different for asian and western markets. Same could carry over here.

Levi

Expert
Reactions

Damn, don't want any crappy CUV.

Is this what they teased for the rest of the world if bZ3 is for China only?

002.jpg

Looks terrible (bad).

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Brightened up the image. It looks like a Crown-style "crossover sedan".
20221024_01_06.jpg

In the center is a huge tablet. No more physical controls for AC. Steering wheel has straight upper and lower edges to avoid blocking sight of the MID (a big problem on BZ4X).
20221024_01_04.jpg
Range is 600km CLTC, less than bZ4X's 615km. A 500km SR trim is also offered.

Given its size I don't understand why it's called bZ3 not bZ5. It is overall longer than bZ4X. Weight is 1720kg for SR and 1800kg for LR.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Not wedge shaped enough for the Prius. Unless it's a separate "Prius Cross" model, but it's definitely not the low, wedge-shaped Prius in the spy shots. Too long, beltline too flat, and has a 3rd window, unlike the Prius where the "3rd window" is in the passenger rear door.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Could this shadowy picture be a bZ5? It could merely be the perspective, but it looks longer than the bZ3 -- longer rear door and longer rear overhang.
Could be on to something. Rumors that the Kentucky plant will be building a BEV next year. Avalon has left Kentucky with the replacement Crown being built in Japan. If ES bolts for the next gen, that opens some capacity at Kentucky. With the tax credit targeting locally built, a BEV sized like a Camry would be a good fit. Maybe the bZ5 is the sweet spot for US market pricing and size. Split the difference between a Model 3 and a Model S as far as size while being priced like a top trim Camry after tax credit.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Could be on to something. Rumors that the Kentucky plant will be building a BEV next year. Avalon has left Kentucky with the replacement Crown being built in Japan. If ES bolts for the next gen, that opens some capacity at Kentucky. With the tax credit targeting locally built, a BEV sized like a Camry would be a good fit. Maybe the bZ5 is the sweet spot for US market pricing and size. Split the difference between a Model 3 and a Model S as far as size while being priced like a top trim Camry after tax credit.
I thought that it was confirmed that the ES is leaving at the end of this generation? That would leave an empty assembly line available for an EV (ES is built on its own line).

Again, I thought it was confirmed that ES was leaving to allow for an EV at the Kentucky plant (which I assumed would be the bZ4X or some other EV crossover).

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Only Toyota would release (more) BEV concepts with no word of range, charging, efficiency, battery composition, etc. You know - the things that BEV buyers care about.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Only Toyota would release (more) BEV concepts with no word of range, charging, efficiency, battery composition, etc. You know - the things that BEV buyers care about.
It's a concept. and also that looks like the Crown Estate and Sport.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
It's a concept. and also that looks like the Crown Estate and Sport.
Yeah, the yellow one looks like the Sport Type but boy, that interior is so minimalistic. Most of the Ioniq and EV BEVs have that kind of interior and they're definitely not my cup of tea.

The one on the Crown / Prius looks so much more desirable, I think more patterned after the Lexus UX interior, which is simple but at the same time elegant.

Maybe that's how Toyota will delineate between Lexus and Toyota BEVs -- interior dash layouts, bigger battery packs and more powerful motors.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Can't wait to hear about price cuts from Toyota, that seems to be all I'm reading on Tesla of late.

Toyota bZ price cuts are all over the news, who cares.

I am all for Tesla getting more price cuts, especially S and X, they need another 10% at least.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Toyota bZ price cuts are all over the news, who cares.

I am all for Tesla getting more price cuts, especially S and X, they need another 10% at least.
Why cut prices when there is no demand?

Probably need 20% adjustment to make them appealing to same people looking at 3 and Y. Well heeled folks have choices now though Porsche plagued by issues that leave sour taste in some owners ' mouth.

Id.7 looks interesting. Germans do make great cars. Their BEVs will be nuch more reliable seeing most issues are powertrain related while batteries warranted for 8 years, thanks to US regulations to match coverage on emissions control systems.

Next few years will be exciting. More BEVs aside from mostly Tesla's.