Toyota Announces New Engines, New Transmissions, & New Hybrid System

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Kind of related but I just noticed the LC 500h debuts the first Lexus with a Lithium Ion Battery along with the trick transmission.

yes, half of the things they are talking about here is for Lexus vehicles :). So 10 AT, THS-II multistage, lion battery - all for Lexus. 2 engines on the list I assume are Lexus V6 and V8.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
no. This is likely using different measurement.

They mention how it is fastest Lexus transmission ever and that it is faster than both competitors (BMW and MB I assume).

Their technical documents are somewhat vague and unclear in that regard. If they're using a different measurement, vs say the IS F 8 speed, or LFA transmission shift speeds, they are not being clear. Also we don't know exactly which competitor transmissions they are referencing here. Automatics? Dual clutch?

All of the improvements mentioned are great, but I just don't know how the 10AT compares to PDK. The LC has the 10AT, so it should be pretty easy to do an in-depth comparison with PDK pretty soon.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Their technical documents are somewhat vague and unclear in that regard. If they're using a different measurement, vs say the IS F 8 speed, or LFA transmission shift speeds, they are not being clear. Also we don't know exactly which competitor transmissions they are referencing here. Automatics? Dual clutch?

All of the improvements mentioned are great, but I just don't know how the 10AT compares to PDK. The LC has the 10AT, so it should be pretty easy to do an in-depth comparison with PDK pretty soon.

there are marketing materials basically... but we know it is faster than one used in GS-F. Plus you can read all the reviews of LC, pretty much all praised the transmission.

As to what transmissions, they say basically same class vehicles... so I assume MB S Coupe, BMW 6 series, Audi xx?

Reactions
Very interesting engine. Who knows when, in Europe, the Lexus NX 300h will have this engine?

Reactions
Still, I've waited forever until those 3.5L v6s (in the GS, IS, RX, and RC) would be replaced. The weight on the cars are not befitting for the lack of torque compared to German rivals. Whereas the GS is extremely light, the IS and RC are just plain porky, making them slower than the German four cylinders. But I still believe it will be long until Toyota designs a V6 designed to compete with the 340i, the XE S, the C400, the S4, and the Q50 Red Sport, for the IS and GS. Still, I spend my past time Google searching positive reviews on these cars. Only recently has Toyota upped the game.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I am not expecting a Turbo-six to be in the LS lineup, at launch. i do expect to see it in a future refresh, around 2020.
Two engines at launch, the same 5.0 V8 and hybrid in the LC. A 600HP Twin Turbo LSF in 2019, and then a Turbo six in the 2020-2021 refresh.
BD
Well, that turned out to be wrong:D