3rd Generation Toyota Tundra (2022+) Master Thread

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
V6 and V6 hybrid could satisfy their target customers

V6 for those who need the reliability of NA, and of course fleet customers who just want the lowest cost model to mod on
Hybrid for those who want a little more oomph

Either way the only folks who may protest on the hybridization are those who have no intention of purchasing a new tundra to be brutally honest as its not like the Tundra is flying off stores due to offering a reliable V8 for more then a decade. (it actually is quite subsidized with incentives purchase and low mF to lease)

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
V6 and V6 hybrid could satisfy their target customers

V6 for those who need the reliability of NA, and of course fleet customers who just want the lowest cost model to mod on
Hybrid for those who want a little more oomph

Either way the only folks who may protest on the hybridization are those who have no intention of purchasing a new tundra to be brutally honest as its not like the Tundra is flying off stores due to offering a reliable V8 for more then a decade. (it actually is quite subsidized with incentives purchase and low mF to lease)
I could see that. I’m all for a hybrid Tundra. One thing I would be skeptical about is a turbocharged hybrid powertrain as some have mentioned previously. That just seems like a lot going on and wouldn’t make me feel too warm and fuzzy as far as reliability and dependability are concerned.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
I could see that. I’m all for a hybrid Tundra. One thing I would be skeptical about is a turbocharged hybrid powertrain as some have mentioned previously. That just seems like a lot going on and wouldn’t make me feel too warm and fuzzy as far as reliability and dependability are concerned.

Being skeptical is totally fine, and new motors regardless of brand always have some issue from the start only found in the field.

1) Hybrid system design and integration...Toyota is a LEADER. Not even Ford, the leader in truck design has that much experience (I`d be more concerned with them).

2) Turbos...for sure are complicated, but I assume the leader in reliability isnt going to tarnish that HUGE BRAND FOUNDATION STONE for "better emissions"

Levi

Expert
Reactions
No problem with Toyota and Turbos, we know they are good at it and were there before with the Celica and Supra Turbo.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
Right, I agree Toyota can do turbos well and they do hybrids well but have we ever seen a turbo’d hybrid powertrain??? That’s a rumor that I keep seeing and that’s what my concern is.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Right, I agree Toyota can do turbos well and they do hybrids well but have we ever seen a turbo’d hybrid powertrain??? That’s a rumor that I keep seeing and that’s what my concern is.

From Toyota not that I recall. Only folks in that game of powertrain is Porsche. Cayenne and Panamera both offer the V8TT with a hybrid setup

Their combustion skills are over the top complex, coupled with poor hybrid integration skills.
I assume Toyota would be able to fix that quickly

Edit: Porsche in fairness has a different project target then say Toyota design for a pickup truck as the Tundra

Last edited:

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
My concern is not with turbocharging (although some may complain that Toyota's modern turbocharged engines may be lacking somewhat in output) nor with hybrid powertrains. My concern is with the Multi-Stage Hybrid System transmission, that incredibly complex monster that couples 3 virtual gears with 4 mechanical gears to produce a 9-speed plus overdrive transmission.

Toyota developed the Multi-Stage Hybrid System for its trucks, whereas Ford (which was once jointly working with Toyota on a truck hybrid system) went with a very simple hybrid system for its trucks.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
My concern is not with turbocharging (although some may complain that Toyota's modern turbocharged engines may be lacking somewhat in output) nor with hybrid powertrains. My concern is with the Multi-Stage Hybrid System transmission, that incredibly complex monster that couples 3 virtual gears with 4 mechanical gears to produce a 9-speed plus overdrive transmission.

Toyota developed the Multi-Stage Hybrid System for its trucks, whereas Ford (which was once jointly working with Toyota on a truck hybrid system) went with a very simple hybrid system for its trucks.
How have I never heard of this new 10 speed hybrid truck transmission???

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Im more intrigued about the awd drive aspect of this beast. Whats the power split, how are they accomplishing locking rear ends, and towing...

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Tundra may not use multi-stage. We are hearing both kind of rumors: V35A with multistage or 48V mild hybrid. However with the latter 30MPG (at least according to rumors) is definitely not possible. With multi-stage maybe. There's also my own theory that they will use a P2 parallel hybrid derived from Hino's hybrid trucks.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
This is all very interesting. I don’t think the new Tundra will use AWD, rather 4WD maybe with an auto transfer case? Either that or the AWD system will be on the hybrid variant. I can see them using hybrid components from Hino because those are more heavy duty trucks which would make it a better pairing for a Tundra. Part of me truly believes that the Tundra will be a stout, beefy truck whether it’s a hybrid or not. I think the capabilities will be available across the model lineup, whether it’s a hybrid or not.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
This is all very interesting. I don’t think the new Tundra will use AWD, rather 4WD maybe with an auto transfer case? Either that or the AWD system will be on the hybrid variant. I can see them using hybrid components from Hino because those are more heavy duty trucks which would make it a better pairing for a Tundra. Part of me truly believes that the Tundra will be a stout, beefy truck whether it’s a hybrid or not. I think the capabilities will be available across the model lineup, whether it’s a hybrid or not.

I think Toyota Tundra will just stay part-time 4WD. I think the goal will be to keep some costs down. I just hope they go to a fully boxed frame like Toyota was using in their trucks prior to moving production stateside.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@LexsCTJill , as much as I want them to return to the boxed frame again, as much as I am afraid of what it will be a more R&D against rust, but honestly if they do it and give us a rust free high solid steel, so why then they won't give us a full-time 4wd with multiple diffs.?

I know it will then be priced more, but at least they need something near perfect this time after all this long period!

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
@LexsCTJill , as much as I want them to return to the boxed frame again, as much as I am afraid of what it will be a more R&D against rust, but honestly if they do it and give us a rust free high solid steel, so why then they won't give us a full-time 4wd with multiple diffs.?

I know it will then be priced more, but at least they need something near perfect this time after all this long period!

It would be pretty nice if Toyota offered full time 4WD on their trucks...but I just don't see it happening.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
A lot like Rivian R1T silhouette and I mean a lot as if I am looking at the R1T already

Maybe that's why Rivian called it R1T & R1S41184119

Last edited: