The sounds of Lexus

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
As we move towards soulless EVs, the audio profile of vehicles is going to change.

Regulatory requirements and reduced power train noise provides an opportunity to develop a distinct “sound” for brands.

Partnering with the right groups can meaningfully impact user experience, improve and refine how the systems communicate with occupants and pedestrians.

Instead, Mercedes Benz AMG has decided to work with Linkin Park; their disregard for taste and refinement is bold and brave. Have another $160,000 bar of soap with interior RGB by Razer.

So the question stands, who does Lexus/Toyota go to for their beeps and boops and whirring sounds to warn
the proletariat their betters approach pedestrians a car is coming?

I’d say Yamaha and Nintendo are companies with cultural alignment and some seriously demonstrated auditory chops.

A self driving Lexus that just plays the old Wii theme music is the grail.

Here’s a ten hour loop while you mull it over.

Ill wait.

momers

Fan
Reactions
They have done something like that with the RZ I think, for the occupants at least. Have you seen their ads the ones which say "listen" and the descriptions from USA website? It says about in-cabin sounds but likely would/should also have an external pedestrian focused dimension to it?

THE NEW SOUND OF LEXUS​

Under the Lexus Electrified vision, Lexus engineers pursue the creation of expressive in-cabin sounds that convey the exhilaration of driving. The RZ 450e establishes a dialogue between car and driver by matching sound frequencies to the vehicle’s speed and sound levels during dynamic actions such as acceleration. The tone and acoustic transmission characteristics of the drivetrain’s sounds were tuned to ensure its pleasantness."

P.S. I do find the current bops and beeps - door locking/unlocking, turn signal clicks, to be a bit outdated and in need of more acoustic polish. I feel annoyed by the locking and unlocking beeps which (coupled with the muffled sound of door locks activating/deactivating, which are a bit solid and reassuring) sound a bit out of character of what I think Lexus as a brand is. (Vehicle in question is an IS200t).

Toyota and Lexus should not have the same auditory signatures; recall how Lexus said they tune the thud of how a door closes on a Lexus (marketing claims).

Last edited:

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
I hope any fake driving noise can be turned off, if not I’ll avoid Lexus EV. The horrid fake “sport” noise on my LS500 is annoying but at least I can drive around in normal mode…

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
I don't plan on purchasing an EV anytime soon or in the long term future and governments should not dictate how and what an automobile manufacturer should produce for the market that is not requesting or wanting an EV...

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
I hope any fake driving noise can be turned off, if not I’ll avoid Lexus EV. The horrid fake “sport” noise on my LS500 is annoying but at least I can drive around in normal mode…

The B58 has fake engine noise too in sport (or sport plus?) mode, though compare to V35A it's still miles better and way more natural sounding. It bugs me how they are able to achieve making the best sounding machines on the planet (LC/LFA), but at the same time failed to execute it on other vehicles (TTV6, multistage hybrid).

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Just get any pop/rap artist to lend their name, and enjoy free tik tok marketing. Remember the drake/car viral event

Edit: Drake maybe be signed to MB

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
They’ll have to have something to let pedestrians know a car is coming. Especially in parking garages.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
IMO automotive sound engineering is a waste of resources.
I agree. Automotive companies without restrictions from governments can design, create and manufacture so much more for the consumer...now if Lexus focuses on more F products instead of soulless EV's that the masses do not want...

Last edited:

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Those same people lining up with a gun to their head to buy CUVs instead of sedans.... :ROFLMAO:
The market wants/craves CUV's/SUV's and isn't mandated by the government whereas EV's are mandated by the government and that the market isn't demanding or rushing out to purchase soulless EV's.

With gas prices at an all-time high and oil scarce (I had to go to two auto parts stores to purchase oil recently), it appears outside forces (supply chain issues) are forcing the market to go a certain route...

Last edited:

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Amazing.

Voters support U.S. automakers transitioning to zero-emission vehicles, as well as a host of specific legislative pieces that would help U.S. automakers transition to that goal.

NEARLY TWO THIRDS OF VOTERS (63%) SUPPORT U.S. AUTOMAKERS TRANSITIONING TO ZERO-EMISSION VEHICLES.
This includes over three quarters of Democratic voters (79%) as well as majorities of independent voters (56%), Republican voters (50%), and Obama ‘12 – Trump ‘16 voters (60%).

WHEN IT COMES TO LEGISLATIVE INITIATIVES, VOTERS DISPLAY BROAD SUPPORT FOR THE FOLLOWING MEASURES:
Support for key legislative initiatives to help the U.S. transition to zero-emission cars, trucks, and buses:
• Passing legislation to increase domestic manufacturing of zero-emission electric vehicles, batteries and component parts: 58% support
• Expanding tax incentives and point-of-sale vouchers for zero-emission cars and trucks: 57% support
• Providing grants to school districts to purchase zero-emission school buses: 62% support
• Funding state and local agencies developing local electric vehicle charging infrastructure: 59% support

VOTERS ARE LIKELY TO BELIEVE A SHIFT TO ELECTRIC VEHICLES WOULD BE MOSTLY POSITIVE.
Voters are more than three times as likely to believe a shift to electric vehicles would be mostly positive (51%) than mostly negative (15%). Half or more Democrats (67%), ideological moderates (51%), ‘Trump ‘16 – Biden ‘20’ voters* (69%), and young Republicans (18-34) (52%) believe a shift to electric vehicles would be mostly positive. Over half of voters believe investments in electric cars, trucks and buses by local, state, and federal government would mostly help the health of Americans, air pollution, and reducing asthma

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Amazing.

Voters support U.S. automakers transitioning to zero-emission vehicles, as well as a host of specific legislative pieces that would help U.S. automakers transition to that goal.

NEARLY TWO THIRDS OF VOTERS (63%) SUPPORT U.S. AUTOMAKERS TRANSITIONING TO ZERO-EMISSION VEHICLES.
This includes over three quarters of Democratic voters (79%) as well as majorities of independent voters (56%), Republican voters (50%), and Obama ‘12 – Trump ‘16 voters (60%).

WHEN IT COMES TO LEGISLATIVE INITIATIVES, VOTERS DISPLAY BROAD SUPPORT FOR THE FOLLOWING MEASURES:
Support for key legislative initiatives to help the U.S. transition to zero-emission cars, trucks, and buses:
• Passing legislation to increase domestic manufacturing of zero-emission electric vehicles, batteries and component parts: 58% support
• Expanding tax incentives and point-of-sale vouchers for zero-emission cars and trucks: 57% support
• Providing grants to school districts to purchase zero-emission school buses: 62% support
• Funding state and local agencies developing local electric vehicle charging infrastructure: 59% support

VOTERS ARE LIKELY TO BELIEVE A SHIFT TO ELECTRIC VEHICLES WOULD BE MOSTLY POSITIVE.
Voters are more than three times as likely to believe a shift to electric vehicles would be mostly positive (51%) than mostly negative (15%). Half or more Democrats (67%), ideological moderates (51%), ‘Trump ‘16 – Biden ‘20’ voters* (69%), and young Republicans (18-34) (52%) believe a shift to electric vehicles would be mostly positive. Over half of voters believe investments in electric cars, trucks and buses by local, state, and federal government would mostly help the health of Americans, air pollution, and reducing asthma
Why are the US automaker (and even automakers outside the US) transitioning to zero-emission vehicles? Can you answer that question without mentioning the government? If the voters really wanted EV's, the government will not have to bribe (sorry give them incentives) when they buy EV.

So, call a spade a spade. The EV craze going on right now is more driven by the government than what the voters want (Voter will buy whatever is produced for sale. The increasing sale of SUV/CUV over sedan and coupes is a good example). And the increasing demand for EV currently is driven by gas prices another thing that is not controlled by voters.