Reactions
It’s a shame that every single review seems to solely focus on range and nothing else. This is a very good car to drive. And all these youtubers getting all these hits are not relaying that message.

I’m starting to see no difference between inpedendent youtubers and large mass media at this point if the messaging and effort it the same. A dismal effort and just wanting to beat up on a Lexus product.
I think its because in its segment the comparison is going to be the Model Y which is the the gold standard so to speak generally and also offerings from Korea. The name of the game in the electric compact SUV market is range vs cost let's call it what it is. BMW tried low range EVs and failed with a multi-million dollar urban campaign. The US doesn't take well to low range EVs so although I personally like the RZs build quality and overall appeal; I can understand that as soon as you walk into that review the range is far too conservative in my opinion. It's to be expected that it's going to be a huge target for a Model Y alternative or other EVs in that segment at a near 70k price point. It's a tall ask for a Model Y prospective buyer to consider a Lexus RZ at that price point. I know you're close to them but they should've known that ambiance and quality can only go so far when it comes to a technology thats mainly judged on its range, charge times vs cost vs how it compares to a Tesla.

I used to preach this to brands when they tried to woo us with ambiance in internal meetings during product launches
You cannot enter the arena of a dominant market leader unless your core competencies are comparable/unique or class-leading.

I'm a fan of the RZ love that concept also but at nearly 70k its range my non-reviewer just a fan opinion is it should've been 50k tops as its value prop is too obviously questionable to the lamen prospective model Y buyer. But that's just my half brotha self looking at a new SUV for the wife. The RZ is priced too high in my view for the range it offers. The folks in that category segment are not interested in a better drivers car in SUV terms so to speak. The mom etc thats going buy that SUV wants the range of a Model Y and the quality of an RX at the cost of a Model Y thats the equation. I think they should undercut the Model Y price point initially to create a buzz hitting all the must haves bullets below in this segment. I just dont think Lexus can scale that aggressively at this juncture and it's a revisited narrative that holds them back from what I think could've been a breakthrough offering.

If I was in that work study here would be my asks before allowing the RZ to launch. You know I often think Lexus is too conservative sometimes with understanding the US demo in many respects but here's my take hear me out....
  • Does it drive like a RX? ( I think they nailed this )
  • Does it have range at the same levels or beating a Model Y or its Korean rivals? Questionable
  • Is its charge times the same as its rivals? 10h at 220V is a HUGE detractor - Questionable ( this right here alone I wouldve said do not release this product lets improve this ) P.S Yes I know the goal was holding charge state for the longevity of the car but again does that translate to a customer in this demo. I would contend no.
  • Is its price point lending itself to a Model Y alternative in terms of aggressive leases and finance options? Questionable
  • What can we do since the Tax credit doesnt apply to the RZ to bring value to the RZ for a comparative shopper? Questionable
  • Does Lexus marketing on the RZ translate charging network ease of use and the dealer experience echo this in terms of use case since it's a new product? Questionable
  • Does this car since it does challenge the RX value prop provide a compelling offer to prospective RX shopper? Questionable
  • Does the price point tiers immediately spark interest in terms of ROI to the prospective consumer? Is our value prop obvious if we where to line up our car with our competitors? Questionable
If I was at the discussion table and my case study group couldn't immediately provide me an unequivocal yes or market-leading response on any of those bullets I wouldn't have released the product because its going to be challenged and the end result would be a even lower volume car than anticipated which in the electric segment momentum is everything.

Do I think the reviewers are harsh or have something with Lexus not at all but I do think if you fuel a narrative that is not inline with the consumer's ask the feedback is always going to return results that are not favorable to the amount of effort you put in. My .2cents on the RZ situation with reviewers as a huge fan of the Lexus brand.

Lexus must and I repeat MUST surpass this value prop with all due respect. ( RZ quality is already better does a Model Y buyer care paying more at this level for less drivable usage is a question I fear is not being understood by Lexus to have this do successful volumes in the EV market). Whether Lexus likes it or not people are comparing the RZ to Tesla and Korean offerings and this is were it may not be as compelling as we want it to be price-wise vs usability. This is the debate folks in my view with all future Lexus offerings.

Lexus USA products have to be more aggressive in my view spec-wise and really push the envelope as Lexus is actively playing ball in category segments where it's not the market leader but charging market leader pricing. We have the brand loyalists already but we want white-space clients in the end right. If we use the RZ as an example how many customers can it take from Tesla buying a Model Y over our product is my question and right now.....this offering is not lending itself to a no-brainer alternative it comes with serious limitations and concessions. Lexus has the tech they have the design and the road map...just need to happen quicker faster and be more lock step with the ask from a spec perspective because at the end of the day not even the LC 500 are flying off lots. Ambiance is a very fad-driven KPI and very hard to translate unless you adopt first hand experience and eventually it will bite you in the behind as a long-term strategy. You cant promote for instance "the feeling driving this car is breathless" but the spec sheet says 0-60 in 40mins. To go beyond that you need to make it blatantly obvious first on a spec sheet that X car answers the need that the customer is wanting, asking for or never knew they needed. The RZ isnt doing that in this iteration and the offering of the car isnt easy to understand and it's reflected I think in the reviews.

FYI, I want Lexus to win. Sorry for the long post. 🤣

Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 10.49.17 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-10-03 at 10.53.29 AM.png

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
On Thursday I got a chance to drive a RZ prototype with Direct Steering. It was honestly really easy to adjust to. Just a slight adjustment on the steering wheel and the car turns. A full lock is super easy. I found it easier to adjust at highway speeds compared to under 10mph. I’m sure over time I would love it. It also gives the dash a much airier look.

Big thanks to Paul Williamson at Lexus CollegeIMG_3045.jpegIMG_3049.jpegIMG_3060.jpeg

Motor

Expert
Reactions

• The RZ 450e is Lexus’ first Battery Electric Vehicle on a dedicated platform
  • Auto Moto magazine recognizes “the best decarbonized car of the year”

pacman1

Fan
Reactions

• The RZ 450e is Lexus’ first Battery Electric Vehicle on a dedicated platform
  • Auto Moto magazine recognizes “the best decarbonized car of the year”
Thank you for posting this. It’s refreshing to see this because I think the RZ is truly a practical and beautiful car for 95% of people out there. Unfortunately, youtubers and influencers just look at one metric (range) and just repeat the same line over and over again. It’s interesting because the same reviewers aren’t as critical about how barebones the interiors of competing cars are but relentlessly hammer on a smaller but serviceable range. I’ve started to see a few of them around and it always catches my attention because it looks like something special from afar.

shizhi

Follower
Reactions
RZ300e

mikeavelli

Reactions
Thank you for posting this. It’s refreshing to see this because I think the RZ is truly a practical and beautiful car for 95% of people out there. Unfortunately, youtubers and influencers just look at one metric (range) and just repeat the same line over and over again. It’s interesting because the same reviewers aren’t as critical about how barebones the interiors of competing cars are but relentlessly hammer on a smaller but serviceable range. I’ve started to see a few of them around and it always catches my attention because it looks like something special from afar.

Well said

pacman1

Fan
Reactions
I’m really curious to see how the RZ is selling. I’ve noticed a sudden influx of these on the road and catch one almost everyday during my commute to work. It looks sophisticated and graceful on the road, but capable. Like a stealth bomber lol. Maybe I should not have canceled my preorder but I just had to switch my deposit to a GX. I think Lexus nailed the design here.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

• Introduction of new RZ 300e FWD
  • Standard Dual-Voltage Charging Cable for 120V and 240V outlets
  • Copper Crest mono- and bi-tone exterior color options
  • Starts at $55,150 MSRP (including DPH)

Reactions

• Introduction of new RZ 300e FWD
  • Standard Dual-Voltage Charging Cable for 120V and 240V outlets
  • Copper Crest mono- and bi-tone exterior color options
  • Starts at $55,150 MSRP (including DPH)

This is even worse than the RZ450e. I'd rather buy the higher spec one.

Will1991

Reactions
bz4X is getting a small improvement, any info on RZ?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Kind of lame the RZ "F-Sport Performance" is just a body kit. There's not even upgrades on the handling side besides wider tires. There is no consistency in their execution of the four-tier F brand strategy. By their own definition it should be "F-Sport Design".

Although to be fair, the base RZ450e is already a way better driving car than the RX500h and TX500h "F-Sport Performance". And it makes sense to not waste R&D money on a RZ550e/600e when the RZ will likely reach end of life in 2-3 years.

https://global.toyota/jp/newsroom/lexus/40271388.html

I fear that once the IS500 FSP and RC-F are discontinued we will again see 2-3 years of boring era of Lexus when the only desirable product to buy are the GX550 and LC500.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yeah confused on adding “performance” with no battery bump. It’s not even RZ 500e which would have made sense with a power bump.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Has it been confirmed for production? Found my answer. Since it's just a special edition I think the real full production model RZ FSP should be RZ500 just like every other FSP before it or even better the 550. The RZ450e FSP looks like a regular 3sereies with an m package.
But I really hope they get rid of the double spoiler thing it don't look right.

Also lexus needs to get their S**t together. First it was the regular looking TX500 FSP with a better 550h above it. Now we have a RZ450e fsp when we have seen trademarks of 500 and 550. Too disorganized almost as if they are trying to make their dealers and customer play a guessing game.

Last edited:

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Kind of lame the RZ "F-Sport Performance" is just a body kit. There's not even upgrades on the handling side besides wider tires. There is no consistency in their execution of the four-tier F brand strategy. By their own definition it should be "F-Sport Design".

Although to be fair, the base RZ450e is already a way better driving car than the RX500h and TX500h "F-Sport Performance". And it makes sense to not waste R&D money on a RZ550e/600e when the RZ will likely reach end of life in 2-3 years.

https://global.toyota/jp/newsroom/lexus/40271388.html

I fear that once the IS500 FSP and RC-F are discontinued we will again see 2-3 years of boring era of Lexus when the only desirable product to buy are the GX550 and LC500.
They are only making 100... and Japan market only. Not even really worth discussing regarding the RZ globally.