Levi

Expert
Reactions
My opinion means nothing, but the "starship enterprise dash" MB EVs embodies the saying too much a good thing.

Feels cold, and sterile more so then a tesla/ikea-inspired design
I am yet searching for the "good thing" and can't find it...

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
navigation must be out of driver's line of sight, driver must see the road, not a display blocking to view of road.
It isn't blocking that much of the line of sight. Unless one is too short.

The hood of the car is blocking the line of sight too if you think about it. Why isn't that an issue? For tall enough individuals, the only thing the display is blocking is part of the hood and maybe a foot or two beyond that.

Unless one is blind and inattentive, a small display is not going to be an issue.

Motorists have to be looking out tens to hundreds of feet away, not at the tip of the hood, which is what a display could be blocking, if at all.

Looking at the tip of the car or thereabouts will not prevent the motorist from a avoiding any collision.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
sure, and it wont be soon either.

Right now in Noah, Teammate works between 0-40 kmh. Practically useless.
Never been in a traffic jam before? That's extremely relevant and useful for most people who spend 90% of commute in traffic jams. Compared to highway autopilot this is actually a bigger quality of life improvement for vast majority of people. LSS 2.0/2.5 is already capable of doing low speed autopilot but they are just not confident enough so it beeps when you take your hands off.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Actually if y’all remember it was Mercedes who started slapping tablets on cars. And there were tons of complaints on aesthetics but as @Ian Schmidt stated the consumers don’t really care. Tesla was integrated it just was massive.

Lexus has done a masterful job integrating the optional 14” screen in the NX and it’s selling well but the media hasn’t really loved it. They love it over the previous remote touch. I haven’t read much if anything complimenting how it’s part of the dash.

Now take the LX it’s the new system pretty slapped on. The bottom 7” screen is integrated but the large one on top is pretty slapped on. For function it works great but yeah it looks pretty meh.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Never been in a traffic jam before? That's extremely relevant and useful for most people who spend 90% of commute in traffic jams. Compared to highway autopilot this is actually a bigger quality of life improvement for vast majority of people. LSS 2.0/2.5 is already capable of doing low speed autopilot but they are just not confident enough so it beeps when you take your hands off.

I’ve actually tested both the Teammate last June and the updated system. It’s vastly better today. Lexus is clear it is an assist and not to replace full driving. I wish Tesla would stop saying autopilot when it’s not.

Also note Mercedes’ has said it will take full responsibility in any of its autonomous crashes

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
Actually if y’all remember it was Mercedes who started slapping tablets on cars. And there were tons of complaints on aesthetics but as @Ian Schmidt stated the consumers don’t really care. Tesla was integrated it just was massive.

Lexus has done a masterful job integrating the optional 14” screen in the NX and it’s selling well but the media hasn’t really loved it. They love it over the previous remote touch. I haven’t read much if anything complimenting how it’s part of the dash.

Now take the LX it’s the new system pretty slapped on. The bottom 7” screen is integrated but the large one on top is pretty slapped on. For function it works great but yeah it looks pretty meh.

The LX feels like it was suppose to debut alongside the LS but for some reason they delayed it until now...you can clearly see interior bits from the LS (HUD, instrument LCD, rear armrest screen) and other parts from the NX (Lexus interface in the front, rear infotainment touchscreens in the back, ambient lighting). The LSS is oddly still 2.5 unlike the NX which has 3.0 yet it was the one came out earlier.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I’ve actually tested both the Teammate last June and the updated system. It’s vastly better today. Lexus is clear it is an assist and not to replace full driving. I wish Tesla would stop saying autopilot when it’s not.

Also note Mercedes’ has said it will take full responsibility in any of its autonomous crashes
Recently a dumb couple in a Tesla from Singapore posted footage of themselves driving on Malaysian roads while using 'autopilot', and now they are wanted by the Malaysia's police, my country doesn't tolerate this kind of nonsense. Speeding? No big deal. Using some sort of half-baked and unreliable technology to let the car drive itself? Yep, you are f@cked.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions

Things I noticed:
- A lot of shared parts from the NX (armrest, cupholders, seats, electronic door handles, plus previously known infotainment & LCD instrument cluster). Expect the same to be found on new RX. I was personally hoping for more differentiation since its on a higher tier.
- New color: Black on orange?

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions
What I see:

-> Venza style StarGaze panoramic sunroof:

image.png

-> No frunk available and PTC heater still available (for extreme cold situations):

image.png

-> Quantity of spot welds around the door:

image.png

-> Production look:

image.png

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

i am in traffic jams all the time, for it to be working only 0-40kmh is not practical in real life.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Interesting takeaways from the RZ, NX, and upcoming RX.
-Toyota is going back to driver focused upright dash designs they kinda perfected in the 90s.
-The industry as a whole seems to be attacking dash design as a product that caters to both driver and front passenger, we have dual infotainment setups and very expansive dashboards. Toyota is going the other way.

Guesses from the RZ and upcoming RX.
-The wheelbase between an RZ and highlander seem to be similar but the RZ is going for the EV RX market.
-Alot of the design seems to be vestiges of an ICE platform. It seems Toyota wants to build one platform that can accommodate ICEV/PHEV/EV. This seems like the happy medium.
-Will they offer FWD vs AWD charging limitations the recently announced BZ encounters as well.
-FWD has a 150kw charge rate /PANASONIC
-AWD has a 100kw charge rate /CATL

Last edited:

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Is the man with the black hat, glasses, black lanyard, and white t shirt near the passenger headlight Automotive Press?

image.png

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Seriously, when you have this big of a vehicle with such long overhang and a low height motor designed specifically for tight packaging, there is zero excuse for not having a frunk. I know frunk is not an absolute necessity but you need a good rationalization to not have it.

What's ironic is in BZ4X promo video in China they brag about how E-TNGA allows a "wheel at corners" design and they still manage to have a huge overhang.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Seriously, when you have this big of a vehicle with such long overhang and a low height motor designed specifically for tight packaging, there is zero excuse for not having a frunk. I know frunk is not an absolute necessity but you need a good rationalization to not have it.

What's ironic is in BZ4X promo video in China they brag about how E-TNGA allows a "wheel at corners" design and they still manage to have a huge overhang.

as i said before, reasoning is very simple - they dont drive EVs.
It is same reason their one pedal driving does not work in BZ4X.

So they dont understand why would you have frunk when there is a big trunk, or why would you drive with one pedal.
Or also, why do you need to charge fast when this is going to be 2nd car in your household according to their research :).

We have seen all of this before from TMC... for instance GS450h came out in 2006 with tiny trunk and chief engineer was telling press it does not need big trunk because it is going to be 2nd or 3rd car in family. Next year they redesigned the trunk to make it more usable after actual customer feedback.

Just like they are adding 11kwh AC charging on models produced since September 2022 (In Europe anyway), I am sure some research showed them that people use 3kwh on average, then TMME screamed to get it asap into the car.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
So they dont understand why would you have frunk when there is a big trunk, or why would you drive with one pedal.
Is that the reason why so many Teslas driver press accelerator instead of brakes?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Is that the reason why so many Teslas driver press accelerator instead of brakes?

Is that supposed to be some insult towards Tesla drivers?
Usually they drive slow and in the right line to preserve electricity.

Has nothing to do with BZ4X being built by people who don't drive EVs.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Is that supposed to be some insult towards Tesla drivers?
Usually they drive slow and in the right line to preserve electricity.

Has nothing to do with BZ4X being built by people who don't drive EVs.
No. Statistically more likely to happen with Teslas, because there are more of them that drive more km too. It also happens significantly more with auto vs. manual transmission. The point I am making is if it is intuitive to 'brake' with accelerator? The Nissan Leaf I drove some years ago was fine with regeneration, even with ICE I am able to use brakes very little. But is "one pedal" driving really better? I have not driven any recent BEV with aggressive regenerative braking, to judge, I am think it might mess up intuition/reflex in critical situation.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
No. Statistically more likely to happen with Teslas, because there are more of them that drive more km too. It also happens significantly more with auto vs. manual transmission. The point I am making is if it is intuitive to 'brake' with accelerator? The Nissan Leaf I drove some years ago was fine with regeneration, even with ICE I am able to use brakes very little. But is "one pedal" driving really better? I have not driven any recent BEV with aggressive regenerative braking, to judge, I am think it might mess up intuition/reflex in critical situation.

You get used to it very quickly and everything is very intuitive.
You still use brakes for emergency breaking.

It is really nice feature.

Reading the reviews, Bz4x also does not show battery state as percentage, only miles left.
This is extremely bad decision, people should use percentage because miles left vary wiledely

It will lead to anxiety.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
2022-04-12-lexus-rz-revealed.jpg

The development of the Lexus RZ 450e will be the focus of a Discovery Japan series, and a trailer for the show has dropped:

Visible in the video is the production RZ 450e in all its glory, showing off the new interior and a two-tone exterior paint job that’s just extra extra.

2022-04-12-lexus-rz-discovery-special-1-1024x546.jpg

2022-04-12-lexus-rz-discovery-special-2-1024x546.jpg

2022-04-12-lexus-rz-discovery-special-4-1024x546.jpg

2022-04-12-lexus-rz-discovery-special-3-1024x546.jpg

The Lexus RZ 450e will be officially revealed on next Wednesday, April 20, at 6am ET.

Continue reading...