Airplane

Fan
Reactions
My .02: The LC F has probably been put on hold or cancelled, and this rumor is born out of that. The fact that it hasn't already happened is concerning, and leads me to believe the project is dead. Dealers were shown the LC F a year and a half ago - where is it now?

We've had rumors of a TT V8 with over 600hp since 2007. We've known the LC was coming since 2012 LF-LC concept. LC finally came in 2018 and we're now heading into the 2020 model. Sales are less than half of what Lexus expected, and the passenger car market continues to tank. ... and this is allegedly another 4 years away?

Lexus has squandered their chance to deliver this car in a meaningful way, as they always seem to do. 600+hp is now table stakes for the competition, and many are moving to high performance hybrid + ICE for even more power. Rethinking the execution and making LC F even more expensive isn't going to help the case anymore. It should have been delivered this year, or at the latest, now for 2020MY.

In 2023, LC will be 5 years old which Lexus used to think was time for a redesign, though now that seems about mid-way through a model cycle for their product management strategy. They're going to introduce a $185k version of a five year old car, three years from now (and 11 years after the LF-LC concept)?

Another DOA flagship/F Lexus product.
2023 could be the model year, which means the car will be released in 2021 and be on dealer lot in 2022. Based on the article, it looks like the LCF will have more than what previous F cars have improved on their standard models. The LCF could be a real track focused car then the anticipation is worth it IMO, it could also be the "track edition" and the base LCF would be released in 2021. It might come as the next gen model with the LC500 having the detuned TTV8 and the LCF with the full spec engine.
Who knows? Maybe the TTV8 is taking so long because they want to bulletproof it for the whole brand? I'm not too optimistic but seeing what TMC is doing with the Toyota badge cars I still have hopes for Lexus.

The LFA was on and off and on again, the LCF might be the same. They camo tested it last summer and I seriously doubt they would bother to if they would just cancel the project.
I think this just another "LFA" project and they are unsure what they want for the LCF.

Transaxle transmission
Triple exhaust
2 seats
TTV8
Rear vents
Big diffuser
The aero fin on the tail lights
These are big changes based on the article, and if these are true then the delay is welcomed IMO.
*There are just too many rumours about the LCF for it to be cancelled.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

See: 5th Gen GS, aka nonexistant GS. I think Lexus rumors mean very little these days.

I can definitely see LC F being cancelled. Reading the tea leaves I laid out before, I think the case is pretty compelling.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Or... this so-called "report" is just pure nonsense(you know how Japanese car magazines work), because do you think they are actually going to do such major structural modications to the LC? I know these new generation of Toyota and Lexus platforms are very flexible but still.

As far as I'm concerned, almost no car manufacturer will do such drastic changes just to create a go fast version of an existing car because it doesn't make sense both from a financial and manufacturing stand point.

This is only my opinion, don't get too hung up about it.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
While these are crazy rumors, sales figures have never really mattered to lexus's F division. All of those vehicles continue to persist even though the numbers make no sense.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
As far as I'm concerned, almost no car manufacturer will do such drastic changes just to create a go fast version of an existing car because it doesn't make sense both from a financial and manufacturing stand point.

And yet, that's precisely what some pretty active posters here are calling for Lexus to do for large portions of their model lineup.

I do agree that the report is likely mistaken in at least some ways, but maybe the LC F is being turned into LFA 2 or something.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Don't forget the recent Lexus Special Talks thread I posted with @flexus translating Akio's message saying he structured the company so that once a project is decided on that there is no going back, and if they can't commit to a project, they won't even consider it.
Would some of you consider all of the serious testing we've seen as a commitment? I sure do. The prototype we've been seeing even had a new fascia, they wouldn't do that if they did not plan to release it before a refresh.
I think @Gecko is wrong. There is no way Akio will let the plug be pulled after all the work put in and anticipation. LCF is happening, just how and when. Because if there is no LCF, the F brand really has no new flagship (the GSF certainly can't cut it). Its probably just timed with the new refreshed LC so they can present it in a new face.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
And yet, that's precisely what some pretty active posters here are calling for Lexus to do for large portions of their model lineup.
That's just how car enthusiasts are like in general, especially the ones on the Internet. They think emotionally rather than logically almost all the time.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Don't forget the recent Lexus Special Talks thread I posted with @flexus translating Akio's message saying he structured the company so that once a project is decided on that there is no going back, and if they can't commit to a project, they won't even consider it.
Would some of you consider all of the serious testing we've seen as a commitment? I sure do. The prototype we've been seeing even had a new fascia, they wouldn't do that if they did not plan to release it before a refresh.
I think @Gecko is wrong. There is no way Akio will let the plug be pulled after all the work put in and anticipation. LCF is happening, just how and when. Because if there is no LCF, the F brand really has no new flagship (the GSF certainly can't cut it). Its probably just timed with the new refreshed LC so they can present it in a new face.

LOL, the 5th gen GS would like to have a word with Akiro about its pivot to become the Mirai

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
It is not great to be negative or create negative discussion, but it is very telling that there are serious problems with Lexus. Toyota brand is thriving, which is great. I very much acknowledge that. However, at the end of the day this is a LEXUS website!

I cannot blame anyone who is concerned with the future of this brand and their upper-level products on this basis. From 2012 on, people swallowed the discontinuation and limited production of the LFA as a halo product, a redux of an already 6 year old LS flagship (for another 5 years!), a late to the game entry level coupe, that should've come over a decade earlier during E46 3-Series/IS 300 days, or in the early years of the brand. The endless, underlying hope for kaizen for GS, as the case with the ES. Apply the same underlying, relentless hope to many other Lexus models!

HS flopped and was removed. CT was removed from Lexus' founding market. LX and GX have been kept past their sell-by, struggling to incorporate new technology's offered by their competition while replacements are years away, based on domino theory development for GA-F strangling their ability to go into production sooner.

Apologists for these mistakes are very quick to forget, in their heyday the GX 470 and LX 470 were actually contemporary and high tech out the gate. In 2002-04, these vehicles were considered the pinnacle of their respective segments, alongside German and American competition. Lexus coasts on those reputations established wayback.

As for the LC and LC F, I am delighted that Lexus followed through with the cabriolet. That being said do I think it is on time? F**K NO!

You are supposed to have A, B, & C teams for your vehicle programs. "A" team works on the main model line, while another works on variants or derivatives. BMW would not be able to survive, if just one team existed for a nameplate.

B team should have been working on the Cabriolet, once styling was frozen in 2014 or once the first verification cars were built by early 2015. Why? To ensure it would be ready in time.

C team is high performance versions. BMW started developing M versions, of what was going to be the M6 (now called M8) in early 2016. WELL BEFORE production even began for regular G15 coupe in the summer of 2018. Heck, the cabriolet G14 version was in development from 2012 as the 2018 6-Series Cabriolet! I can forgive Lexus for not committing to a cabrio version pre-2014, but barely getting to it in 2017 is what annoys me.

You don't wait until after production begins, to get to work. You ensure certain pre-production parameters are met, then get started to time it well. A mid-2020 launch has made that very obvious to me, as 3 years gives that away succinctly. 2017 to 2020. We saw a mule of this cabrio in February 2018. Figure out what happened, because that should've been 2 years earlier.

The LC-F project should've been underway since no later than 2015. If I recall, BMW started developing a performance variant roughly 3.5 years after the main vehicle program. M3 launch came slightly under 4 years later. Total years since base vehicle inception? 7.5 years! Still stands true today.

Lexus needs to be timing vehicles in this manner:

• General model launch: May 2017 (coupe)
  • Co-variant launch: Q3 2018, as 2019 model (cabrio).
  • January 2019: Early planning and studying of replacement generation.
  • High performance version launched: Late 2019 as MY 2020
  • MMC life: Autumn 2021 as MY 2022
  • Program approval of next generation model & styling aspects: Late 2021/Early 2022.
  • Redesigned vehicle launch, retirement of current vehicle: Late 2024/CY 2025.
2023 is extremely late, since the LC will be a beautiful, yet 12 year old design overall, to be sold another 4 years?

also I will be very disappointed if Lexus delays the LC F even more. The competition never take more than 2 years to release a performance variant of their models, even for low-volume SUVs. It will be 4 years since the LC was unveiled next January. I'm really hoping that I will see the LC F at the next NAIAS.

NAIAS is 7 months away, so that can change focus. I agree with you though. Cabriolet should've been a 2019.5 model at latest, followed by LC-F for MY 2020, followed by MMC circa Q4 2021.

One thing that you pointed out very well is how the unveiling was in January 2016, for a car shown originally in early 2012 in advanced design form. The product cadence is being botched, to some of the standards and failures past British automakers were guilty of.

I can believe expected profitability for RWD vehicles is a huge problem for the Toyota board, because of a fickle buyer base and also their own failures in some areas, which further feed into the problem.

My .02: The LC F has probably been put on hold or cancelled, and this rumor is born out of that. The fact that it hasn't already happened is concerning, and leads me to believe the project is dead. Dealers were shown the LC F a year and a half ago - where is it now?

We've had rumors of a TT V8 with over 600hp since 2007. We've known the LC was coming since 2012 LF-LC concept. LC finally came in 2018 and we're now heading into the 2020 model. Sales are less than half of what Lexus expected, and the passenger car market continues to tank. ... and this is allegedly another 4 years away?

Lexus has squandered their chance to deliver this car in a meaningful way, as they always seem to do. 600+hp is now table stakes for the competition, and many are moving to high performance hybrid + ICE for even more power. Rethinking the execution and making LC F even more expensive isn't going to help the case anymore. It should have been delivered this year, or at the latest, now for 2020MY.

In 2023, LC will be 5 years old which Lexus used to think was time for a redesign, though now that seems about mid-way through a model cycle for their product management strategy. They're going to introduce a $185k version of a five year old car, three years from now (and 11 years after the LF-LC concept)?

Another DOA flagship/F Lexus product.

So well said.

The LC was developed and debuted as a 2017 model on January 11, 2016, which became a 2018 model within days of debut (thanks to perceived delays/cynical marketing) Targeted start of production was November 2016 for January 2017 launch, things got delayed 4 more months. There was a time, it was even on deck for fall 2016 launch for 2017. Look what happened to the LS too (went from mid-2017 to early 2018).

The facelifted cars should be arriving by the fall of 2021 as 2022s, which is already 5 years after the initially targeted release date and 4.5 years after actual launch. The LC-F should have arrived before that point and I say the same for the GS-F, which also arrived too late (should've been a 2014 model).

The RC-F was launched right out the gate in Nov 2014, IS-F was launched in January 2008 before the first XE20 facelift in late 2008., despite being belatedly created in 2004.

There are way too many people in the Toyota organization, to be making these amateur mistakes. The lack of consistency has hurt their brand power.

The failure to plan out the LC in a well timed fashion, frustrates me as someone who works in the capacities that I do.

This vehicle despite being delayed into MY 2018, should've been a convertible the very next model year. NOT 3 model years later! LC-F needed to be launched between initial sales start and mid-cycle changes, thus this year alone! Why? Two year point, before 4 year point when facelift arrives.

In their worst cases, BMW experienced with the E90-E93 M3, where their performance variants arrived very late in early 2008, following E90 3 sedan's December 2004 SOP.

They still managed without a hiccup and refreshed the E90 at the end of 2008 anyway, M3 sedan included (coupes for 2011). Similar issue they had in 2000-01 with new '01 M3 coupe barely preceding refreshed 2002 3 sedans. Just like IS-F in 2008, which is tolerable.

Not this case, where the LC has seen little to no changes since 2017, then a belatedly introduced cabrio after 40 months in production! At 40 months, is when MMCs occur. Now it is being speculated it will be a total of 70 to 81 months, before an LC-F variant surfaces? Or even dead altogether? Okay...

It feels like the company is barely functioning at the moment as it couldn't conduct any independent project that is not a by-product of its parent company in a meaningful timescale. At this rate we would see a Highlander GRMN before the LC-F.

My biggest concern for a long time. Acting independently. They have created this situation for themselves now. Lexus should be simply owned by Toyota Motor Corporation, not shared in any significance with the Toyota brand.

The ES sedan is a great success, but at the expense of their flagship and other products. By market default, the packaging of their crossovers allows them to sell at lower prices than their European competition.

This LC-F will have to do it 2x better than the current competition at this rate or is entirely DOA. They really need to avoid making the same mistakes as Infiniti has. Or is the Japanese market not as promising as they hoped 14 years later?

Or canceled territory :)

All jokes aside I don't think it was reasonable to expect LC-F before refresh/facelift but at this pace it seems facelift will be at least 2 years late or maybe this is another 10 years plus long model cycle.

It should've been here before a facelift. You don't commit to derivative or high performance variants internally, so close to start of production. You start as soon as the general body design and specifications are set, midway through overall model planning.

The second generation IS design was finished in 2003 (began effort in January 2001), in which a high performance IS-F variant barely got off ground in 2004, just as IS 220d/250/350/etc sedan prototypes were in testing.

In the end it took under 4 years and paid off, by launching timely by December 2007 and January 2008. 2006 IS V6 sedans came out in October 2005. Only 26 months elapsed. Not 6 years!

RC-F was already in development since 2011, following RC start in 2010. Final design freeze was in mid-2012. Wasn't the best approach, as the RC hadn't been fully conceptualized before RC-F development began. Both arrived parallel in 2014.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
2023 could be the model year, which means the car will be released in 2021 and be on dealer lot in 2022. Based on the article, it looks like the LCF will have more than what previous F cars have improved on their standard models. The LCF could be a real track focused car then the anticipation is worth it IMO, it could also be the "track edition" and the base LCF would be released in 2021. It might come as the next gen model with the LC500 having the detuned TTV8 and the LCF with the full spec engine.
Who knows? Maybe the TTV8 is taking so long because they want to bulletproof it for the whole brand? I'm not too optimistic but seeing what TMC is doing with the Toyota badge cars I still have hopes for Lexus.

The LFA was on and off and on again, the LCF might be the same. They camo tested it last summer and I seriously doubt they would bother to if they would just cancel the project.
I think this just another "LFA" project and they are unsure what they want for the LCF.

Transaxle transmission
Triple exhaust
2 seats
TTV8
Rear vents
Big diffuser
The aero fin on the tail lights
These are big changes based on the article, and if these are true then the delay is welcomed IMO.

The car is running late indeed, but it needs be launched by mid-cycle at this point. Please remember also people, that Japanese magazines said the new ES wouldn't be available until August 2019... Look how that turned out.

That being said, I don't recommend launching such a vehicle midway through (let alone POST), versus during the 2nd quarter of a model life (2+2+3/4 years = 7/8 year cycle).

It is very clear the business model is failing horribly and in order to make a sound return, they are having to stretch out every aspect, to manufacture a decade long cadence versus suggested 7-8 years.

This convertible has been endlessly teased and hinted at for 3 years, to be barely coming 4.5 years after 2016 overall debut? Then a performance variant barely even yet to surface after 5-7 years? It is a money loser unfortunately and almost anything can happen now. Even as Akio's joy.

See: 5th Gen GS, aka nonexistant GS. I think Lexus rumors mean very little these days.

I can definitely see LC F being cancelled. Reading the tea leaves I laid out before, I think the case is pretty compelling.

Although I don't entirely agree it will be cancelled at this very point in time, so much can change in a few years. I had expected this would be a 2022 model, because of the timing of the cabriolet and production being ongoing since March 2017.

This car is a money loser I imagine, because of the consumer mentality that Lexus or Japanese must always be half-priced. The $40k SC 400 against a very expensive $86k 1991 MB 560SEC and $100,000 1993 MB 500SEC, has hurt Lexus greatly in the end, to the point they cannot sell their mid-to-uplevel products, unless greatly differentiated in their own niche.

That was Lexus branching into other global-level luxury segments, outside of the LS 400 for the first time. GS came later.

No one does a luxurious, robust body on frame utility with 7-8 passenger room at MB, BMW, nor Audi. One does well globally. No one does a transverse, front engine midsize sedan at Audi, BMW, nor MB. Nor the same in the midsize crossover segment. All more expensive longitudinal unibody products, with questionable longevity, reliability, or high maintenance cost. They are top selling.

The GS was never successful at launch, because it just wasn't cheap enough in eyes of the public and arriving too late in spring 1993 during Yen crisis, wearing a 1988-89 design (released to JDM in 1991). The second generation managed to succeed thanks to great marketing and being the right product, at the right time.

S160 GS grew stale post 2001-02, further hampered by the upscaling of the XV30 ES in 2001 and early showcasing of S190 successor in early 2004, more than 1 year before customers could even buy it (2006 GS).

IS needed the full support of multiple, competitive variants from the word go in 2000. IS 200, IS 300, and high output 2JZ by early 2001. No V8 needed yet. 2002 IS300 5-speed was not enough in 2001.

Coupe version should have been ready in 2001 and soft top convertible by 2002, to supplant SC 430. Plus Sportcross, offering all engine combos. That would've rivaled BMW very well, against MBs quality troubled W203 C-Class range and outdated 80s-design original W202 C-Class on its last legs. So why was the Lexus business case for the IS, unable to meet that head on nor maintain such consistency?

There is hardly any heritage for the RC to draw on, because it came too late and hasn't received consistent attention. Even so, is it the only one? Not quite.

Longtime BMW competitor MB never offered a 190E or C-Class coupe nor convertible in the 80s and 90s. MB made many 2-door internal design studies since the 80s, decided in 1992 to use the upcoming 1996 E-Class as the design basis instead for higher profit and not 1994 C-Class = CLK.

Then tried again in 1996, becoming a hatchback coupe released in 2000-01 to compete against the failure of the 3-Series compact (1-Series replaced it). It was hardly a desirable coupe, but existed because of the C-Class based CLK.

Despite a new design study based on the new hatchback C-Coupe being created in 2000, it was again abandoned in 2001 over SLK and CLK cannibalizing. It wasn't until 2006, a true C-Class coupe was internally ordered and then approved in 2008, for early 2011 intro as a 2012 model.

Then a convertible C-Class (A205) was ordered in 2011 for the MRA modular chassis W205 (2015 C-Class) redesign. It finally appeared in 2016, alongside redesigned coupe.

My point is that, MB kept going for years without stopping, despite going through a very rough period many years ago and commits to many segments, to maintain consistency and cover all their bases. On one side, it is easy to say they benefited a great deal from ripping off Chrysler from 1998 to 2007 and not looking back, thus it being so easy to be on top.

Lexus brand power isn't there in the marketplace to sustain cars like the LFA and LC above $100k at profitable unit #s, meaning money is being lost. I can see why the GS was cancelled, because they are now becoming jaded after a quarter century of competing. They messed up the LS, as the market hasn't been receiving it well, on top of declining sedan sales.

It still stands to see if Akio gets his way with this F car, against the rest of the board. He clearly did not try with the 2020 GS, but for this I imagine it will be different.

Reactions
It still stands to see if Akio gets his way with this F car, against the rest of the board. He clearly did not try with the 2020 GS, but for this I imagine it will be different.

Is the environment really like that? Why the hell are the stupid finance strategists trying to be a pain in the rear here? Is it literally a Toyoda-san (and enthusiast minded executives) vs old, annoying, stubborn farts like the finance strategists? They're the ones that are literally whoring the ES and RX and YET they have the audacity to whine that some cars are not doing well? They need to go balls to the wall. MAKE SOMETHING COMPETITIVE, AT A GOOD PRICE, RELIABLE, AND IS UP TO DATE. IS THAT HARD?

Do these bean counters not realize that IT'S THEM THAT'S RUINING EVERYTHING? Somebody needs to ignore about tradition and go off at their faces. They're single-handedly taking the company to sh*t.

@Carmaker1 I've had a tip from someone telling me that the GS as we know of it will die very soon (my guess is 1-2 years?) and won't be having a replacement for the foreseeable future. So there's that.

I hate this stupid, ill-managed brand.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Is the environment really like that? Why the hell are the stupid finance strategists trying to be a pain in the rear here? Is it literally a Toyoda-san (and enthusiast minded executives) vs old, annoying, stubborn farts like the finance strategists? They're the ones that are literally whoring the ES and RX and YET they have the audacity to **** and whine that some cars are not doing well? They need to go balls to the wall. MAKE SOMETHING COMPETITIVE, AT A GOOD PRICE, RELIABLE, AND IS UP TO DATE. IS THAT HARD?

Do these (bean counters) not realize that IT'S THEM THAT'S RUINING EVERYTHING? Somebody needs to ignore about tradition and go off at their faces. They're single-handedly taking the company to sh*t.

@Carmaker1 I've had a tip from someone telling me that the GS as we know of it will die very soon (my guess is 1-2 years?) and won't be having a replacement for the foreseeable future. So there's that.

I hate this stupid, ill-managed brand.

View attachment 3599

MOD NOTE: I understand your frustration and also love the memes (LOL), but I had to edit a fair amount of profanity out of your post. I have to do that from time to time... please try to remember that your points are much better received without so many expletives.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I've mentioned this before but will again to reinforce what @Carmaker1 mentions above about model development times.

When Lexus launched the RC, they did it right by dropping RC, RC F Sport and RC F within a short amount of time. At that time, Lexus themselves reaffirmed their commitment to F and said that the RC launch was indicative of their new model approach with all variants available close to launch.

Not sure what ever happened to that...

Reactions
MOD NOTE: I understand your frustration and also love the memes (LOL), but I had to edit a fair amount of profanity out of your post. I have to do that from time to time... please try to remember that your points are much better received without so many expletives.

I write in anger with hopes of these messages reaching to someone higher up in the company food chain. It's getting ridiculous.

Happy you liked the meme though. :)

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
The car is running late indeed, but it needs be launched by mid-cycle at this point. Please remember also people, that Japanese magazines said the new ES wouldn't be available until August 2019... Look how that turned out.

That being said, I don't recommend launching such a vehicle midway through (let alone POST), versus during the 2nd quarter of a model life (2+2+3/4 years = 7/8 year cycle).

It is very clear the business model is failing horribly and in order to make a sound return, they are having to stretch out every aspect, to manufacture a decade long cadence versus suggested 7-8 years.

This convertible has been endlessly teased and hinted at for 3 years, to be barely coming 4.5 years after 2016 overall debut? Then a performance variant barely even yet to surface after 5-7 years? It is a money loser unfortunately and almost anything can happen now. Even as Akio's joy.

Although I don't entirely agree it will be cancelled at this very point in time, so much can change in a few years. I had expected this would be a 2022 model, because of the timing of the cabriolet and production being ongoing since March 2017.

Yes the LCF (and vert) are too late to the game but to Lexus' credit, they probably had no idea the LC would be so well received. Even though sales are lack luster, people still lust after the car. Reviews are overwhelmingly great, and customers are satisfied. The high reception of the LC is likely what gave them the confidence to pursue the vert and LCF.

Better late than never but Lexus is definitely on a streak of poor planning. It seems like nobody is steering the LY.

But I'm not nearly as pessimistic with knee-jerk reactions like many are when there is a new rumor. I still believe there is a lot of potential for Lexus at the 2020 Olympics and hoping for some big announcements.

As for the GS... I'd take an LCF in exchange for axing the GS any day. Im really not sad about the GS at all, if it isn't viable, don't force it. Everything needs a business case.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
@Carmaker1 as a life long Lexus fan who loves this brand so much. I’ll be honest your comments make me pretty depressed...Lexus has dropped the ball. I hate dealing with the expensive costs of the Germans to maintain but if you want a fun fast car what does Lexus really have? An amazing LC and RCF? What about a quick sedan or for once a quick SUV? My boss just got an X7 and damn it’s nice. Like really nice. I look at Lexus rt now and the LX/GX don’t come anywhere close...hope the future changes quick...