The Foodie Thread

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I strictly avoid red meat, pork, and some shellfish for health reasons, but don't have any problems with poultry, fish, or shrimp....I eat plenty of that. I tend to like Italian, Greek, and some Chinese dishes....among restaurants, I like Olive Garden, Romano's Grill, and Carabba's. Olive Garden gets a lot of jokes on the internet, but, except for the overly-soft breadsticks, I think their food is quite decent and reasonably-priced. For those who like Tex-Mex, Uncle Julio's (better known as Rio Grande), does some good stuff. :)

I often spend time in one of these restaurants when I'm hungry after a long car review, over a nice meal, getting my notes together on a pad, doing any editing/revisions, and jotting the PLUSSES/MINUSES lists for the review.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Speaking of some good fresh BBQ oysters....

Oysterfest San Francisco at GG Park May 2015, yummy.

Took Caltrain BabyBullet from downtown SJ to AT&T Park (home of the SF Giants) in SF, easy.

Oysterfest-SF May15.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Speaking of some good fresh BBQ oysters....

Oysterfest San Francisco at GG Park May 2015, yummy.

Took Caltrain BabyBullet from downtown SJ to AT&T Park (home of the SF Giants) in SF, easy.

View attachment 518

Even though I avoid them and stick to shrimp, those oysters still look good. :)

Some people eat them raw, but, from what I've heard, that's risky.....you expose yourself to a lot of bacteria. Same with raw Sushi.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Even though I avoid them and stick to shrimp, those oysters still look good. :)

Some people eat them raw, but, from what I've heard, that's risky.....you expose yourself to a lot of bacteria. Same with raw Sushi.

Yes, oysters can be risky, nature of that shellfish. Yes they were yummy (and followup report, no health problems later) Did you read your CR issue on shrimp, you can revise your shrimp recomendation afterwards, lol.

Too much "hearing" of old hearsay on the sushi, since it's flash frozen before for exactly that reason. Just keeping it real, and not all sushi is raw.

Knowledge and caution is a good idea in making seafood selections.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I'm into Italian food (of a non-beef and non-pork variety)....Always liked Carabba's for excellent quality pizza, bread, and main entrees, Romano's for excellent main entrees, and Olive Garden for good soups and salad.

carrabba-s-italian-grill.jpg

romanos-macaroni-grill_large.jpg

tumblr_inline_nnfl05ghfR1rhaf6v_500.jpg

Reactions: RAL

mikeavelli

Reactions
Many posts to come from this latest trip. The macaroons at Hotel DuPont in Wilmington, Deleware are the best I've had. They lived up to the hype!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,018.1 KB · Views: 4

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Many posts to come from this latest trip. The macaroons at Hotel DuPont in Wilmington, Deleware are the best I've had. They lived up to the hype!

Almost anything named DuPont in Delaware is probably going to be first-rate. The DuPont family once virtually owned the state.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Attended Baconfest in downtown San Jose, CA on Saturday. I rarely eat bacon since it's not healthy, but I do enjoy a taste once or twice per year. Bacon wrapped lumpia, small Vietnamese bacon sandwich, bacon maple ice cream were selections I sampled. Quite tasty.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Attended Baconfest in downtown San Jose, CA on Saturday. I rarely eat bacon since it's not healthy, but I do enjoy a taste once or twice per year. Bacon wrapped lumpia, small Vietnamese bacon sandwich, bacon maple ice cream were selections I sampled. Quite tasty.

I love bacon lol... Sounds like a blast..

Tried my first "elk" burger today.. Though it was fuddruckers fwiw....image.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
It was gamey in taste, like Venison. It was chewy but was great and unlike when I eat a burger there I didn't burp once lol. Went down smooth. Its a lean meat so you are not supposed to get it well done.

Meat from animals it the wild like that, in general, is usually going to be somewhat leaner than what is typically bought in grocery stores, restaurants, or meat markets, because of the lower-content of body-fat. Animals in the wild usually live on different diets, and aren't given growth-hormones or antibiotics..

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
So, my favorite fast food is chicken shawarma, and there's this place in Hamilton, Ontario called Lulu's that does the craziest thing -- instead of using a spit for the shawarma meat, they just cook chicken breast and chop it up. It's ridiculously good, have to eat it with a fork.

IMG_2567.jpg

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I've had chicken shawarma done that way in Pleasanton, CA (located in tri-valley/eastern Bay Area, I can't remember name of restaurant because we had somebody bring it to the office). It's yummy!

Reactions: CIF

mikeavelli

Reactions
Our first time at Flemings... Saw it we pulled over and finally decided why not since its X-Mas ever.. Incredible service and food..

The crabcakes were cool but the lobster tempura was amazing

image.jpeg

For that know me its "Ribeye or Die" lol.. The marbeling was fantastic..
image.jpeg

Yaaassssss
image.jpeg

The wife got the filet and liked it.. Their potato rendition was amazing

image.jpeg

And dessert was amazing with our lava cake and homemade whip cream.. (Btw we also got a salad lol)

image.jpeg