Sunglasses thread...

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I lost the Raybans in their protective case. It was a dark day. :D

Wow, sorry to hear that. I personally find it very hard to lose glasses as long they're in a case.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Good thread :)

I am a Ray-Ban guy as well, but have ventured out to some others. I think that for price and quality, Ray-Ban and Oakley are my two favorites, but I wear them for different reasons. Ray-Ban for me is more formal or dressy, and I tend to wear Oakleys for outdoor activity or super casual stuff like running errands or sports games.

I have a pair of Tom Fords and am not impressed with the quality for the price. I think they were ~$160 and they're a creaky cheap plastic.

I have a pair of Prada aviators that I like a lot, and they're really nicely made - carbon fiber arms, polarized lenses.

Has anyone tried PerSols?

I'm kind of itching for a new pair of sunglasses but don't know what I want... I've looked at Carreras. I'll check them out again!

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Good thread :)

I am a Ray-Ban guy as well, but have ventured out to some others. I think that for price and quality, Ray-Ban and Oakley are my two favorites, but I wear them for different reasons. Ray-Ban for me is more formal or dressy, and I tend to wear Oakleys for outdoor activity or super casual stuff like running errands or sports games.

I have a pair of Tom Fords and am not impressed with the quality for the price. I think they were ~$160 and they're a creaky cheap plastic.

I have a pair of Prada aviators that I like a lot, and they're really nicely made - carbon fiber arms, polarized lenses.

Has anyone tried PerSols?

I'm kind of itching for a new pair of sunglasses but don't know what I want... I've looked at Carreras. I'll check them out again!

Well there are the major brands to check out, and there are lots of smaller boutique brands. It all depends on your budget, style preference, and material/quality preference.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Recently bought another pair of matte-finish Ray Bans (made in Italy) while vacationing in Israel.

Ruksac

Follower
Reactions
Ray Bans all the way. In the Florida sun, the polarized lenses are key but they can make reading the nav screen and dash screen a little challenging at odd angles.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Not sunglasses but maybe someone can help. I'm a little tired buying all these name brand eye-glasses made seemingly from toilet tissue. In other words lacking in quality.

Any recommendations would be great thank you!

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Not sunglasses but maybe someone can help. I'm a little tired buying all these name brand eye-glasses made seemingly from toilet tissue. In other words lacking in quality.

I wear glasses myself, and have found the frames from Lenscrafters to be durable and reasonably-priced, especially if you choose them carefully.

RAL

Reactions

Having been an optician during one of my lives ... I think mmcartalk is giving you good advise! Personally I wear RayBan frames for both regular eyewear and sunglasses. The frames I selected are made of Titanium. Let's just say it is not toilet tissue! ;)

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions

Take a look at some smaller boutique companies. There's a few good smaller ones out there mainly from Europe, if you avoid the major brands, which often have quality issues.

Onelog

Follower
Reactions

I'm a big fan of See Eyewear. You definitely pay for the quality, but some of the coolest, most durable, and most interesting glasses I've ever owned have come from them. Looks like they have 5 around FL.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm not a heavy user of my eyeglasses, since I use soft contacts daily.

So I have only a few pair of eyeglasses that get light usage. My favorite frames for fit and quality are Beausoleil Paris Titane (made in France).