Suit Filed Against Mercedes-Benz for BlueTec Diesel Engines

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
80306015.jpg

Mercedes-Benz touts its BlueTec diesel technology as a clean, green-friendly "hero" of the environment. But certain diesel-powered models from the company sold in the United States contain defeat devices that hinder effectiveness of pollution-control systems, according to a lawsuit filed Thursday.

The class-action civil lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court of New Jersey alleges the company's nitrogen oxide reduction system turns off when ambient temperatures drop below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. As a result, affected cars pollute the environment at an average of 19 times allowable federal standards. In some cases, NOx emissions were 65 times higher than those limits.

"Mercedes labeled its BlueTec vehicles as 'earth friendly,' selling consumers the false notion that these diesel cars were less harmful to the environment, but Mercedes never divulged to consumers that BlueTec diesels pollute at illegal levels when driven at lower temperatures and that its 'champion of the environment' mantra was a sham," said Steve Berman, managing partner at Hagens Berman, the Texas-based firm which filed the lawsuit, which seeks punitive damages related to the lowered value of the vehicles.

"Mercedes never disclosed to consumers that Mercedes diesels with BlueTec engines may be 'clean' diesels when it is warm, but are 'dirty' diesels when it is not," the court filing said. "Mercedes never disclosed that, when the temperature drops below 50 degrees, it prioritizes engine power and profits over people." The lawsuit alleges plaintiffs suffered damages because of "deception," because they thought they were buying environmentally friendly cars.

Mercedes-Benz did not respond to a request for comment. A spokesperson for the Environmental Protection Agency said the agency's testing of previously certified light-duty diesel vehicles is ongoing, and that the agency does not comment on private lawsuits.

Diesel emissions have been linked to an assortment of respiratory illnesses and health problems, and the NOx emission have fallen under greater scrutiny since September, when the EPA charged Volkswagen with installing devices that circumvented emissions testing in millions of cars equipped with diesel engines.

In an advertisement on Mercedes-Benz website, the automaker says "today's BlueTEC models are simply the world's most advanced diesels, with the ultra-low emissions, high fuel economy and responsive performances that makes them not merely available in all 50 states, but desirable."

Emissions controls on the BlueTec vehicles include a diesel particulate filter and a selective catalytic reduction system, which plaintiffs say turns off below 50 degrees to help the cars maintain their high-performance driving characteristics.

Mercedes-Benz diesels with BlueTec technology that are implicated, according to the plaintiffs, include the: ML 320, ML 350, GL 320, S 350, E 320, R 320, E Class, GL Class, ML Class, R Class, S Class, GLK Class, GLE Class and Sprinter.

Hagens Berman is the same legal firm serving as lead counsel for plaintiffs in several lawsuits regarding fatal flaws in General Motors ignition switches

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/18/mercedes-benz-diesel-bluetec-emissions-lawsuit/

Och

Admirer
Reactions
I think this is only when the engine or emissions system is below 50F, and even in the coldest weather it will only take a mere few minutes to reach this temperature. This lawsuit is a whole bunch of bs over nothing. I can't be happier with the bluetec engine in my Sprinter.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I think this is only when the engine or emissions system is below 50F, and even in the coldest weather it will only take a mere few minutes to reach this temperature. This lawsuit is a whole bunch of bs over nothing. I can't be happier with the bluetec engine in my Sprinter.

Yes bull, if it was a LEGAL and FULLY DISCLOSED to EPA cold start mode.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
This lawsuit is a whole bunch of bs over nothing. I can't be happier with the bluetec engine in my Sprinter.

It appears to be more money-related than emissions-related. The law firm handling the case admits it's suing primarily over residual-values.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes, money is the common method of compensation in class action suits. Their argument is that the value of these vehicles are reduced (and not necessarily just residual values) because they run dirtier than advertised, specifically when cold at under 50F.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Does BMW also make diesels?

Yes.....several of BMW's American-market models (not to mention the Euro-market ones, of course) offer BlueTec diesels with urea-injection technology that is somewhat similar to that used at Mercedes.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Didn't MB and BMW develop bluetec diesel in a joint venture?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Didn't MB and BMW develop bluetec diesel in a joint venture?

Possibly... I don't know for sure. Steve (IS-SV) might know. I've sampled a few of both, though, and the driving characteristics are similar.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Time to check them out! LOL

I think you won't be disappointed with them....unless you are the type of driver that likes to wind out high RPMs. But every Bluetec I've sampled has been essentially a low-RPM power plant (with a relatively low redline), with good responsive torque low down on the rev scale...the way most American drivers seem to prefer. Nor are today's common-rail diesels (even with the admitted cheating that went on at VW) anything at all like the unreliable, black-soot, water-in-the-fuel, noise-ridden, hard-to-start-in-cold-weather, Marble-Can-idle, wait-all-morning-for-the-glow-plug auto diesels of the 70s and 80s. Though sometimes you will still hear a very faint clatter at idle (much quieter than before), those nasty old days are long gone. Turn the key or press the button, and the glow plugs for primary-ignition heat up almost instantly, even in cold weather. Modern urea solutions and converters take virtually all of the black soot out of the tailpipe. Water-separators are no longer needed because of much less water, sulfur, and paraffin in the latest low-sulfur diesel fuels. Some diesels still come with two batteries hooked to the starter-motor because of the greater power needed to turn over a compression-ignition engine (roughly 20:1 vs 10: 1 for gas powerplants), but today's batteries, of course, are stronger and more efficient than in the past. And, at low RPMs, before the engine runs out of breath, you get surprisingly good torque....one reason why diesels are so popular for towing.

Disadvantages? Yes, there are a few. In the U.S., diesel vehicles can sometimes cost more than their gas-engined cousins (the tax structure on diesels is different in Europe). They usually aren't kept in stock as readily as gas models at BMW and MB dealerships. Today's low-sulfur diesel fuel (required in the U.S. since 2005) is far superior to the garbage diesel fuel of decades ago, but, at the pump, even with today's low fuel prices, can cost as much or more as premium 93-octane gas. Diesel fuel is often not as readily available as gas, though that can very by region (some drivers fill up at truck stops LOL). Fortunately, diesels average about 40-50% better fuel mileage than gas engines...one reason why they compete with hybrids. And, of course, the urea-solutions used for the exhaust have to be replenished at roughly 10,000 intervals....a service that is sometimes included in free maintenance.

Have fun. :)

Reactions
I think you won't be disappointed with them....unless you are the type of driver that likes to wind out high RPMs. But every Bluetec I've sampled has been essentially a low-RPM power plant (with a relatively low redline), with good responsive torque low down on the rev scale...the way most American drivers seem to prefer. Nor are today's common-rail diesels (even with the admitted cheating that went on at VW) anything at all like the unreliable, black-soot, water-in-the-fuel, noise-ridden, hard-to-start-in-cold-weather, Marble-Can-idle, wait-all-morning-for-the-glow-plug auto diesels of the 70s and 80s. Though sometimes you will still hear a very faint clatter at idle (much quieter than before), those nasty old days are long gone. Turn the key or press the button, and the glow plugs for primary-ignition heat up almost instantly, even in cold weather. Modern urea solutions and converters take virtually all of the black soot out of the tailpipe. Water-separators are no longer needed because of much less water, sulfur, and paraffin in the latest low-sulfur diesel fuels. Some diesels still come with two batteries hooked to the starter-motor because of the greater power needed to turn over a compression-ignition engine (roughly 20:1 vs 10: 1 for gas powerplants), but today's batteries, of course, are stronger and more efficient than in the past. And, at low RPMs, before the engine runs out of breath, you get surprisingly good torque....one reason why diesels are so popular for towing.

Disadvantages? Yes, there are a few. In the U.S., diesel vehicles can sometimes cost more than their gas-engined cousins (the tax structure on diesels is different in Europe). They usually aren't kept in stock as readily as gas models at BMW and MB dealerships. Today's low-sulfur diesel fuel (required in the U.S. since 2005) is far superior to the garbage diesel fuel of decades ago, but, at the pump, even with today's low fuel prices, can cost as much or more as premium 93-octane gas. Diesel fuel is often not as readily available as gas, though that can very by region (some drivers fill up at truck stops LOL). Fortunately, diesels average about 40-50% better fuel mileage than gas engines...one reason why they compete with hybrids. And, of course, the urea-solutions used for the exhaust have to be replenished at roughly 10,000 intervals....a service that is sometimes included in free maintenance.

Have fun. :)
That is not what I mean. I was saying someone should check their exhaust pipe, carefully.

I was in a few diesel engine powered vehicles over the years. The last was a new Mercedes ML350, a few month ago. Sorry, I was never impressed by those vehicles. NVH & RPM issues have long way to go.

Btw, I never understand people paying good money on luxury vehicles trying to save a little fuel or coins.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
That is not what I mean. I was saying someone should check their exhaust pipe, carefully.

I guess that's what I get for misreading a post LOL. :grinning:

I was in a few diesel engine powered vehicles over the years. The last was a new Mercedes ML350, a few month ago. Sorry, I was never impressed by those vehicles. NVH & RPM issues have long way to go.

Diesels, by their very nature, are not high-RPM powerplants. Their redlines are typically in the mid-ranges of a gas engine. But most of the torque and responsiveness is down low where many people want it. The last time I drove a BlueTec, not that long ago, I was hard-pressed to tell it from a gas engine on the NVH issue, though a slight amount of diesel-clatter at idle still remains under some conditions.

Btw, I never understand people paying good money on luxury vehicles trying to save a little fuel or coins.

Usually, with people like that, it is not so much a money issue as an environmental one.....although VW's recent cheating certainly has not helped the environmental case any.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Usually, with people like that, it is not so much a money issue as an environmental one.....although VW's recent cheating certainly has not helped the environmental case any.

Assuming they/some were drinking the Koolaid, because none of these MB, BMW, VW diesels running legally are running any cleaner than similar/equivalent modern gasoline engines. And they all emit significantly more pollution than hybrids (that VW liked to criticize) and electrics overall even when taking into account predominate power generation sources in US.

Most MB and BMW drivers (tend to be educated) knew better but liked diesel fuel efficiency and torque and were willing to pay a big premium for it. So in reality the environmental non-issue of the "clean diesels" became a train wreck from environmental PR standpoint thanks to VW in US.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Assuming they/some were drinking the Koolaid, because none of these MB, BMW, VW diesels running legally are running any cleaner than similar/equivalent modern gasoline engines. And they all emit significantly more pollution than hybrids (that VW liked to criticize) and electrics overall even when taking into account predominate power generation sources in US.

Agreed on the general diesel-vs. hybrid pollution level. But, regardless of pollution, even diesels average 40-50% better fuel-mileage than equvalent gas engines....that's where part of the environmental Kool-Aid may be. And, the electrical stations that produce the current to recharge the plug-in-hybrid or pure-electric batteries sometimes produce air pollution or nuclear waste, depending on THEIR fuel.

Most MB and BMW drivers (tend to be educated) knew better but liked diesel fuel efficiency and torque and were willing to pay a big premium for it. So in reality the environmental non-issue of the "clean diesels" became a train wreck from environmental PR standpoint thanks to VW in US.

European countries, despite their generally high vehicle-taxes, have also traditionally given some tax-breaks to diesel owners, although there are signs of that starting to change.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
And, the electrical stations that produce the current to recharge the plug-in-hybrid or pure-electric batteries sometimes produce air pollution or nuclear waste, depending on THEIR fuel.

That's obvious, but doesn't change the fact that electrics in US create less pollution in total versus a given number of so-called "clean diesels".

Please reread the statement I posted earlier which I will post again here, and notice the key word being predominate.

"And they (diesels) all emit significantly more pollution than hybrids and electrics overall even when taking into account predominate power generation sources in US."

. Most
electrics (and plug-in hybrids) are sold and operated in areas where power grids are not in backward states and areas where uncontrolled coal power plants operate. Biggest growth fuel source is natural gas for power generation which was not mentioned above and when natural gas is burned in modern power plants it's much cleaner in total for given number of vehicles than running individual "clean diesel" powerplants in each and every vehicle.

. Most electrics (and plug-in hybrids) don't plug into a grid powered by nuclear power. Nuclear power is a smaller portion of American power today and shrinking. Yes, it has it's waste problems, but not air pollution.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Regarding the topic here (Suit Filed Against Mercedes-Benz for BlueTec Diesel Engines), large public companies like Mercedes-Benz are the subject of frequent class-action lawsuits for a variety of reasons but usually related to investor relations issues. Of course because of VW's diesel emissions negative publicity this lawsuit gets a higher level of attention than the usual stream of class-action lawsuits.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
I do own a Mercedes Sprinter with Bluetec engine, and I totally love how it goes for 350-400 miles per fill up, with my fill ups being roughly 22 gallons. But I absolutely dread filling it up. I took a picture of the pump last time I took it for fill up. As you can see it is covered with disgusting greasy residue that is a result of accumulation of small diesel spills that occur every time people use the pump. This residue does not build up on gasoline pumps because gasoline evaporates, but diesel is an oily, thick substance that does not evaporate and does not wash away with water. Once you get this stuff on your hands, you'll need to wash your hand like 5 times before you get rid of the smell. Even in my truck I carry a set of rubber gloves just for fill ups, because I don't want to get this stuff on my hands and then transfer it to my clothes, the steering wheel, and the vehicle interior. I especially wouldn't want this to happen if I had a luxury car with a diesel engine.

And on top of it, even in NY diesel is not available at every gas station. It is mostly found at gas stations in industrious neighborhoods, where truckers fill up, or where ever school buses and other fleet vehicles fill up. Needless to say these gas stations are often filthy, noisy, not very well lit, there are often lines (good luck if you come in during the hour when an entire school bus depot decided to go fill up), etc. Not even to mention that diesel price can vary greatly from one gas station to another. For example here in Brooklyn diesel is nearly $1 more per gallon at gas stations that are next to the BQE expressway versus ones that are further "inland" so to say.

Moral of the story, if you're going to get a Mercedes, get one that burns petrol - unless its a Merdeces truck.

Attachments

• IMG_0446.jpg
    IMG_0446.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I do own a Mercedes Sprinter with Bluetec engine, and I totally love how it goes for 350-400 miles per fill up, with my fill ups being roughly 22 gallons. But I absolutely dread filling it up. I took a picture of the pump last time I took it for fill up. As you can see it is covered with disgusting greasy residue that is a result of accumulation of small diesel spills that occur every time people use the pump. This residue does not build up on gasoline pumps because gasoline evaporates, but diesel is an oily, thick substance that does not evaporate and does not wash away with water. Once you get this stuff on your hands, you'll need to wash your hand like 5 times before you get rid of the smell. Even in my truck I carry a set of rubber gloves just for fill ups, because I don't want to get this stuff on my hands and then transfer it to my clothes, the steering wheel, and the vehicle interior. I especially wouldn't want this to happen if I had a luxury car with a diesel engine.

And on top of it, even in NY diesel is not available at every gas station. It is mostly found at gas stations in industrious neighborhoods, where truckers fill up, or where ever school buses and other fleet vehicles fill up. Needless to say these gas stations are often filthy, noisy, not very well lit, there are often lines (good luck if you come in during the hour when an entire school bus depot decided to go fill up), etc. Not even to mention that diesel price can vary greatly from one gas station to another. For example here in Brooklyn diesel is nearly $1 more per gallon at gas stations that are next to the BQE expressway versus ones that are further "inland" so to say.

Moral of the story, if you're going to get a Mercedes, get one that burns petrol - unless its a Merdeces truck.

The smell of gas is not easy to get off one's, hands either......some gas stations have little hand-swipes with special solvents on them to help. One thing that helps with preventing fuel-spills is simply keeping the nozzle pointed upwards with you lift it off the pump, then turn it around while you are holding it, and gently lowering it into the fuel-filler pipe on your car......and doing the reverse when hanging the nozzle back up. Doing that, I almost never have any problems with spilled fuel in any way. But many people simply stick the nozzle in and out of the car, pull it out, and hang it back up with the tip pointed down......so gravity will pull any drops still left inside, staining either the car's fender or the gas pump itself.