Spy Shots: Lexus LF-LC Production Prototype Spotted!

Reactions
I absolutely loved the concept and so did just about everyone I showed it aswell, so it goes without saying that I'm really excited about this. Like, really, <b>REALLY</b> excited.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I wouldn't mind seeing BMW's 3.0L twin turbo L6 under the bonnet though; that's one great engine.

But I seriously hope that the LC500 is not the 5.0L V8 found in the RC-F. It's an "ok" engine, but wouldn't be enough to propel this beast. If Lexus wishes to enter the super-coupe war with this, they need a coupe that is fast, I mean really fast, handsome, handles well and super luxury. Otherwise, it's just gonna be a normal premium-brand coupe, instead of something that competes with the S-Class coupe.

first of all, why would you see BMW engine inside a Lexus? Then LC500 is not supposed to be F model... it is just a regular model... I find it hard to believe that 420+hp wont be enough in LC500. It certainly wont be 467hp like in RC-F, they will re-tune it for more torque down below and lower rpm up top.

I dont think this is going to be $120k base car like S-coupe... pricing will be more in line with old SC I would guess, so 70k-80k base max.. but this is just a hunch with no info, correct me if not true.

Reactions
I wouldn't mind seeing BMW's 3.0L twin turbo L6 under the bonnet though; that's one great engine.

But I seriously hope that the LC500 is not the 5.0L V8 found in the RC-F. It's an "ok" engine, but wouldn't be enough to propel this beast. If Lexus wishes to enter the super-coupe war with this, they need a coupe that is fast, I mean really fast, handsome, handles well and super luxury. Otherwise, it's just gonna be a normal premium-brand coupe, instead of something that competes with the S-Class coupe.

first of all, why would you see BMW engine inside a Lexus? Then LC500 is not supposed to be F model... it is just a regular model... I find it hard to believe that 420+hp wont be enough in LC500. It certainly wont be 467hp like in RC-F, they will re-tune it for more torque down below and lower rpm up top.

I dont think this is going to be $120k base car like S-coupe... pricing will be more in line with old SC I would guess, so 70k-80k base max.. but this is just a hunch with no info, correct me if not true.
Erm, because of the collaboration between Toyota and BMW to produce sports car(s)? Haven't you been following the news? BMW would most probably supply the drivetrain. It's speculation, but aren't what we're talking now all speculations? Hahaha

True, the LC500 will not be an F-model (none of us has said it will be), but Lexus has no other 5.0L engine other than the one found in the RC-F so if it's a naturally aspirated "500", it has to be THAT V8. And like you said, detuning means it'll have around 400hp only, but by the time it goes on sale, the range-topping models of the 6 series and SL would have moved on to 450+hp territory, means this Lexus has lost the game before even competing.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
@joe_my, BMW and Toyota have stated that their partnership would not extend to Lexus, as Lexus is a direct competitor to BMW. There will be no BMW powertrains in Lexus models as a result of that partnership.

The general consensus (and with word from very direct sources) is that Toyota's upcoming midsize sports car will share engines and a platform with an upcoming BMW model, possibly something like a "Z5."

@spwolf I have heard that pricing and segmentation for this car will be a bit above SC. Think base price of around $85-95k with LC F getting to $125-135k or so.

Ray99

Founding Member
Reactions
Interesting plate number 007M. Future James Bond Vehicle from M? Joke aside, I am very excited to see this prototype.

mikeavelli

Reactions
From my understating the BMW relationship will happen with the Supra.

I wonder what the dimensions are. The RC isn't really a small coupe so I assume this will be larger since it will be placed above the RC. The original SC was quite a long coupe but was shortened for the SC 430.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-07-29-lexus-lf-lc-half-off-400x200.jpg

It’s been twenty-four hours since a production prototype of the Lexus LF-LC concept was spotted in California — let’s take a closer look at the two images and how they compare to the original concept.
View the original article post

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Finally, great to see a production body prototype out in the open :). So this likely means that the production LC will debut before the next-gen LS.

krew, just a heads up, but underneath the camouflage, there's fake cladding positioned on different parts of the body. That's why the roof looks unusual. Lexus quite commonly now uses fake cladding combined with camouflage to throw people off the shape of a production body. I'd say right now it's hard to tell exactly how much of the concept's styling has remained. The combination camouflage system Lexus is using is effective, and makes it hard to distinguish the body's real lines.

Axel

Fan
Reactions
WOW! Finally!:D It has been a long 43-month wait for all of us, since the first LF-LC teasers and leaks were shown in December 2011. Too bad they've copied by Youxia in the meantime. Likely the new modular platform delayed it significantly. Considering that the design was frozen in the first half of 2014, I'm not sure why it took so long to see any functional prototypes testing, let alone test mules in stretched RC or chopped LS-bodies.

Let's see the differences:

lexus-lf-lc-concept-inline-photo-436874-s-original.jpg

11371130_1072302089466311_465127233_n.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

11410347_467969926715203_1551487038_n.jpg

I agree! The current Lexus drive trains are quite outdated compared to what the German competitors are offering.

This huge coupe needs a turbocharged 3.0L V6 as entry, a turbocharged 4.0L V8 with 400+ hp as range-toppers and a high-output 4.0L V8 with around 550hp for the F-model.

The LC500 is likely a 5.0 litre V8, but below might actually sit the upcoming 3.0 TTV6. Lexus will likely never see another 4.0 litre V8.

Lol the vamp 5.0l in the RCF is one of the best engine. Get out of here for calling it okay. Some testers call that engine a racing engine. This engine is a 5.0l N/A pulls the heavy RCF in 4.4 to 60 that very strong. Lexus still claims they can get out more power from this engine without turbo. If they put this engine in a ISF it strong enough to destroy the M3. This engine is the best thing lexus got to date

Reactions: Den

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
As smooth as an LS and as sporty as a 911? Or as smooth as a 6er, as sporty as a 911, and we-engineered because engineers got to ride in an LS during testing? Probably the latter. :p

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
There’s also something strange about the roof of the prototype — it appears to be elevated unnaturally, which might mean the floating glass roof from the concept hiding underneath.

Would be awesome but I don't think it's practical from a safety perspective unless they somehow figured out a way to conceal/make do without the roll bar.

This is the first car in a long time that Lexus has released that looks like sex from the get go. THEY JUST NEED TO USE BIGGER TIRES. 20" standard please.

Travis

Fan
Reactions
This is gonna look freakin bad ass. I really wonder how the front end will look.

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
WOW! Finally!:D It has been a long 43-month wait for all of us, since the first LF-LC teasers and leaks were shown in December 2011. Too bad they've copied by Youxia in the meantime. Likely the new modular platform delayed it significantly. Considering that the design was frozen in the first half of 2014, I'm not sure why it took so long to see any functional prototypes testing, let alone test mules in stretched RC or chopped LS-bodies.

maxresdefault.jpg

I agree! The current Lexus drive trains are quite outdated compared to what the German competitors are offering.

This huge coupe needs a turbocharged 3.0L V6 as entry, a turbocharged 4.0L V8 with 400+ hp as range-toppers and a high-output 4.0L V8 with around 550hp for the F-model.

The LC500 is likely a 5.0 litre V8, but below might actually sit the upcoming 3.0 TTV6. Lexus will likely never see another 4.0 litre V8.

Lol the vamp 5.0l in the RCF is one of the best engine. Get out of here for calling it okay. Some testers call that engine a racing engine. This engine is a 5.0l N/A pulls the heavy RCF in 4.4 to 60 that very strong. Lexus still claims they can get out more power from this engine without turbo. If they put this engine in a ISF it strong enough to destroy the M3. This engine is the best thing lexus got to date
So why didn't they put that engine in the new IS and tune it some more for the GS F?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew, just a heads up, but underneath the camouflage, there's fake cladding positioned on different parts of the body. That's why the roof looks unusual. Lexus quite commonly now uses fake cladding combined with camouflage to throw people off the shape of a production body. I'd say right now it's hard to tell exactly how much of the concept's styling has remained. The combination camouflage system Lexus is using is effective, and makes it hard to distinguish the body's real lines.

The camouflage on this prototype is probably the most straight forward I've seen in a while -- there's definitely some deformation with the roof, but it seems straight to the metal for the most part.

(Also think there's some fake cladding on the rear bumper, but that's a little harder to say for sure.)

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

Right now, LC 500 and LC 500h have been trademarked by Lexus -- let's assume for a moment that this prototype is the LC 500 as it has an exposed exhaust. This will be the "base model" coupe, and judging from the 500 designation, it's likely the 5.0L V8 engine from the RC F & GS F pushing out 467 hp. That is 18 hp more than the base model S Class Coupe, though the Mercedes has a significant torque advantage (389 vs 516 lb.ft.)

I don't see how the 5.0L V8 won't work as a base engine.

Then LC500 is not supposed to be F model... it is just a regular model... I find it hard to believe that 420+hp wont be enough in LC500. It certainly wont be 467hp like in RC-F, they will re-tune it for more torque down below and lower rpm up top.

Interesting idea dropping the HP down and boosting torque, but I think Lexus needs to find a way to bump up the torque and leave the HP the same. I think all models using the 5.0L V8 could use the extra lb.ft.

Also, I have to figure Lexus is aiming high with all versions of the LC -- I'm just guessing here, but a $90k base price wouldn't surprise me.

Hamed Al Ketbi

Founding Member
Reactions
If this beauty came out ...
TRUST me all the middle-eastern will think different about Lexus as a brand!!
And I can't can't wait to see this beauty ...
Also, I really love how 90% of the original concept will be applied to the LC
NOW we can't be more patient!! hahaha :x

Axel

Fan
Reactions

maxresdefault.jpg

So why didn't they put that engine in the new IS and tune it some more for the GS F?
If the GSF is as fast as the RCF would you call it slow? Zero to 60 natural aspirate engine it very hard for it to win against the turbo. Even if this engine is turned for more power 0-60 would still be 4.4 4.3. This engine is good for now lexus can just play for now by taking some weight off some models

Reactions
The roof on this model is probably fixed. Maybe just a panoramic glass roof instead. Looks sharp though.