Second Generation Toyota Mirai

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Toyota to Unveil Next-Generation "Mirai Concept" at 2019 Tokyo Motor Show's "Future Expo"
Toyota today announced that it will preview the next generation of its groundbreaking, zero-emission Mirai fuel cell electric vehicle (FCEV) at the 2019 Tokyo Motor Show. "Mirai Concept," a final-stage development model of the second-generation Mirai will be on view at "Future Expo" from October 24 until November 4 at Megaweb. The totally re-designed Mirai reflects a major step forward for FCEVs and the potential of a hydrogen society, boasting significantly greater range, improved driving performance, and an elegant, sporty design that offers increased passenger room and comfort.

"We have worked to make a car that customers will want to drive all the time, a car that has an emotional and attractive design and the kind of dynamic and responsive performance that can bring a smile to the driver's face," said Yoshikazu Tanaka, Chief Engineer of the Mirai. "I want customers to say 'I chose the Mirai because I simply wanted this car, and it just happens to be an FCEV.' We will continue our development work focusing on that feeling, and we hope that with the new Mirai we will be a leader in helping to realize a hydrogen energy society."

Launched in 2014, the first-generation Toyota Mirai proved the global potential of hydrogen to power clean and sustainable mobility, combining a driving range with refueling time equivalent to conventional vehicles and emissions of nothing but water. Since then, approximately 10,000 Mirai have been sold globally, helping pave the way towards a hydrogen society that will reduce emissions, diversify energy sources, and generate global economic growth.

Scheduled for launch starting in late 2020, initially in Japan, North America and Europe, the second-generation Mirai is much more than an eco-car, marking a new stage for FCEV technology. Improvements in fuel cell system performance and increased hydrogen storage capacity mean the new Mirai will target a thirty percent increase in driving range. The vehicle has also been totally redesigned based on Toyota's premium rear-wheel drive TNGA platform to combine greater agility and driving performance with a sleek and elegant exterior design.
003.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

It's stunning.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Definitely a dramatic styling improvement over the current Mirai. That's the closest a Toyota model has come to encroaching on Lexus styling though, which I don't like.

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
This is badge engineered LS+ Concept.

I wonder what Toyota’s thinking is here to turn the Mirai from small sedan to luxury barge.

Will1991

Reactions
Just.... WOW!!

It looks amazing in side profile!

But, they will really need to get a big bump on the LS to keep it in another segment...

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
Side profile is reminiscent of the new Toyota Crown; so @flexus is correct in what was said earlier (TNGA-N rear drive). With the Lexus GS is peril, I wonder if this midsize rear wheel drive sedan is supposed to be the spiritual successor of the GS....

On another note, I think it is quite surprising how little we saw from prototype testing/spy shots.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
This is badge engineered LS+ Concept.

I wonder what Toyota’s thinking is here to turn the Mirai from small sedan to luxury barge.

i can tell you what - they realized that they need to make it desirable, and you cant do that with something that looks like dressed up econobox.

Mirai was 60k, this might be still 60k but it also looks like it is worth at least 60k.

It will also have its performance increased significantly.

larryren

Follower
Reactions
I think the new Mirai Concept more like fuel cell version 15th Gen. Crown.... Because the size closer Crown not LS.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I think the new Mirai Concept more like fuel cell version 15th Gen. Crown.... Because the size closer Crown not LS.

yes, it is smaller than LS.

What I like about this and Rav4 PHEV is that they finally realized they need to build these so people want to buy them regardless of technology.

larryren

Follower
Reactions
And I suddenly remember few month ago we knew a test car with camo and Lexus front grill has been saw at US road, and follow with 1st Gen Mirai and Hyundai Nexo..... So I guess maybe the 2nd Gen. Mirai will share the FR platform with new IS. and new IS body ratio will also look like the new Mirai. or more further IS will get FCV version in future when 2nd Gen. Mirai launch.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
And I suddenly remember few month ago we knew a test car with camo and Lexus front grill has been saw at US road, and follow with 1st Gen Mirai and Hyundai Nexo..... So I guess maybe the 2nd Gen. Mirai will share the FR platform with new IS. and new IS body ratio will also look like the new Mirai. or more further IS will get FCV version in future when 2nd Gen. Mirai launch.

New Mirai is longer than GS i believe... so more similar to Crown than anything else, especially IS.

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
Great move. People who pay luxury car money should not be expected to settle for an econobox with a nerdy look. Based on the TNGA-N platform that underpins the Crown, the new Mirai will now be a proper premium car that can live up to the expectations of luxury car buyers (save for perhaps a luxury car badge). The huge 30% increase in range to 400 miles certainly helps too. They now need to focus on a cheaper model to compete with the Model 3 so that more people who want one can afford one. And of course, build more refueling infrastructure.
2021-toyota-mirai-concept.jpg

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
This concept looks like a production car.
I don't really like it, neither the Panamera/A7/AMG GT4 shape, but at least another RWD Toyota.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

I am seeing shapes reminiscent of the Supra in the backend of this. Seems like a departure from current styling for Toyota...