Reviews: The Fifth Generation (XF50) Lexus LS

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@zeusus
I mean this from Europeans perspective, which from my view can be upside-down if Lexus bought a European car maker to be under it even if they will left it fully dependent

Serpens

Fan
Reactions
Motor Trend isn't my favorite mag, but felt this was worth posting.

2h2mwco.jpg

307vtwx.jpg

21dhen7.jpg

2sao84l.jpg

2j46bmh.jpg

30s8tgn.jpg

35k0qwm.jpg

a4tmcz.jpg

b5qvb6.jpg

2e16jxd.jpg

28k79sw.jpg

2ppd4r4.jpg

5d9ys5.jpg

Reactions
That ending...... "This result surprised us". Are you joking?! Lexus has made strides to massively improve on their legendary LS, and it gets beaten by the Genesis? It's so ironic how Motor Trend behaves towards Lexus cars. The last gen LS460 was constantly made criticized of being "dull, no excitement, no prestige" and once they revolutionize the LS, the only thing that they wont shut up about is the infotainment system?! Maybe if you took the time to learn how to use it (it is programmable to your own customization), and stopped being so blinded by your arrogance, it would have been the winner? They also criticize the price tag? So now the Genesis wins because it had the old Lexus LS formula? Come on......

Do I have to talk about the LC and the DB11 review too? In that stupid review, that Lexus was an order of magnitude better than that DB11 V8 in every considerable aspect, but yet the DB11 wins? What really pisses me off is that they have the audacity to now say: "Oh so despite these two cars have almost a $100,000 difference, we won't care because they're fundamentally focusing on the same thing?" It is just so ironic how they keep flipping on their morals.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I finally drove my first LS, a base LS 500 F-Sport AWD and fell in love. As a previous LS F-Sport owner I am STUNNED at how much better this drives. An already great interior has now become sensational. The new seats are a huge plus. The V-6tt pulls nice but doesn't blow you away. It is much more responsive with the transmission than the past LS F-Sport.

It is a really really well done car. It made me grin which is something the last LS didn't do when I drove it, just when I looked at it.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Yeah he himself said it
That there was no time to make it as the non hybrid TT was so close to the announcement

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It's interesting how he commented on the lack of torque while the last thing a hybrid drivetrain lacks is torque, and multi-stage is designed to produce even more torque at the wheels. Lexus' own tech review claimed the 500h drivetrain has higher instantaneous acceleration than even the outgoing 600h, that's with 100 horsepower less. The 500h can keep up with the 500 in short sprints with 25% lower power-to-weight ratio which is quite an accomplishment.

The problem here is more the lack of refinement than lack of power. Maybe the drivetrain is tuned for LC application so it tries to aggressively engage a lower 'gear', which increases noise and gives an impression of 'being worked hard'.

Again, the automotive press just have zero idea of what torque really is.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
It's interesting how he commented on the lack of torque while the last thing a hybrid drivetrain lacks is torque, and multi-stage is designed to produce even more torque at the wheels.

Again, the automotive press just have zero idea of what torque really is.

You are spot on, the auto press and media in general are VERY lazy and pretty much take material, content and even headlines from each other. Almost every organization love the LC and LS EXCEPT for the infotainment, yes there has to be one bad guy because they can't fully love a Lexus (automotive blasphemy).

Notice how they all mimic each other almost exactly about the infotainment. Now its pretty much assumed the infotainment will be shat on in every LC and LS review, despite pretty much everything else being slightly negative, neutral or very positive.

I've used the infotainment in question and honestly, its got a decent to good UX and looks great.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The constant droning sound (in sport/sport+) made by the multi-stage hybrid is a terrible engineering oversight. It's downright annoying and shouldn't occur on a flagship sedan (hybrids are supposed to be quiet!). Even the 3GS hybrid wasn't this bad. Whoever signed off the project needs to be sacked.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@ssun30
It's not now about who signed it off, now it's more about how Lexus will fix it

Lexus known to be brave as the recall they did with the first gen. LS in it's first selling year

So we will see how & when they will fix it

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
The Drive Review: Ulrich apparently is 'an award-winning reporter'...? Yeah, right. : unamused:
What an awfully subjective and biased report! :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Ironically just month ago we knew that the original planning for the hybrid was the 3.5TT but they put this engine to not be late more than that

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I don't care what the reviews say, I love looking at it inside and out.
I didn't say I hate it
Honestly the interior for me is another step than it's competitors and I can live with that infotainment thing. I already living with the old version of it now

I just want them to fix this small sound problem as it may effect the whole sales numbers

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Ironically just month ago we knew that the original planning for the hybrid was the 3.5TT but they put this engine to not be late more than that

they did not say that at all... they asked about tt engine and he told them it wasnt ready at the time... It wont get 3.5tt anytime soon too, what would be the point of it?