Reviews: The 2019 Lexus UX 200 & UX 250h

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
You do realize this whole 'AWD is safer in bad weather because of better traction' is 80% marketing BS these days right? It was safer back when there was no TC and VSC and cars are death boxes. But in snow or on ice, the number one thing one has to worry about is slowing down, not getting up to speed. Most crashes in bad weather are cars failing to brake or steer, and AWD helps with neither. The most important thing in these situations is proper winter tires and obeying traffic laws (in most countries the legal speed limit in adverse weather is 50% of posted speed limit, hence my 40mph comment). Not a lot of people get killed by sliding off a slippery ramp because their cars lack strong AWD.

Toyota added the minimum amount of hardware to achieve mostly a marketing purpose and some practical purpose as well. It's not like the full power 'RX-style' E-Four is that much more capable anyway.

You'd be completely right if they are charging like a $2,000 premium for E-Four. But hey it's almost 'free' feature anyway.

Last edited:

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I'm not an engineer or mechanic but I think a good AWD system with TC/VSC will still provide better traction than a non-AWD system because there is likely more traction from the wheels that are not just freely spinning.

That's why many have suggested all weather or winter tires in winter because AWD doesn't help with braking but aids in keeping the car in motion and in control. If AWD isn't effective, then it would be no better in guiding a car in slick conditions or avoiding getting stuck in snow.

The most important thing is getting ahead of the pack that are driving too closely to each other or don't have winter or all weather tires on. It would be foolish to drive along with that pack. In Canada, there is no such thing as driving at 50% of the posted speed limit and so I do slow a fair bit down but not to the point that I will have to follow all these vehicles that are slipping and sliding. It's best to carefully overtake some of the vehicles rather than drive beside or behind them.

That's just my experience driving here in Toronto where more than half of motorists keep their all seasons on.

Reactions
Hello everyone, new member/first post. I'm definitely getting the Obsidian UX 250H but it looks like Lexus website hasn't updated all the packages/accessories yet. I'd like the Luxury package with F Sport exterior, if that's possible.

Sadman

Fan
Reactions
I'd be interested to know about the ride differences between the AVS and normal suspension equipped models.

Here in our market AVS suspension are standard on the F-Sport and although the Italian press release (which I highly suspect was just a mere translation of the general European English document) says that the AVS suspension are available for F-Sport and Luxury trims, both on the car configurator and in my order this particular optional doesn't appear to be standard on the Luxury trim I chose (the highest) and it can't be ordered since the only available optionals are the Mark Levinson system and the Luxury pack (PVM 360° camera, ventilated seats and memories for the seats/side mirrors/steering wheel).

In the picture I attached to this post you can see an official photo posted on a gallery on the official European Lexus press website, and it shows the car in Luxury trim (the onboard system is even configured in Italian) with the drive mode selector showing 5 different drive modes (ECO, NORMAL/CUSTOM, SPORT S/S+), telling me that this car is indeed equipped with the AVS suspension.

The dealer doesn't know what to say about this and as always Lexus and its official website lacks clarity of information or entire information on some topics... :(

Attachments

• UX_Interior_Glazed_Caramel_Luxury_009_F37910BB518A6F22A1BFE96EEFFCA398EFF2F84C.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Sadman

Fan
Reactions
He didn't say anything about the comparison with the Volvo XC40 though. Hmm...

I looked at that car because I find it interesting but apart from the absolutely long waiting list for having one I've been reading about different and sometimes serious reliability problems on the owners forum...what scared me is that they've been reporting problems even on bigger and more expensive models (the rest of the XC family and the S/V 60/90 series).

I never had a single problem with Lexus cars apart from a little annoying thing about a rattling coming from the parking brake cable which led to a recall, and it was promptly fixed.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
He didn't say anything about the comparison with the Volvo XC40 though. Hmm...

I looked at that car because I find it interesting but apart from the absolutely long waiting list for having one I've been reading about different and sometimes serious reliability problems on the owners forum...what scared me is that they've been reporting problems even on bigger and more expensive models (the rest of the XC family and the S/V 60/90 series).

I never had a single problem with Lexus cars apart from a little annoying thing about a rattling coming from the parking brake cable which led to a recall, if was promptly fixed.

unfortunately i was looking at S90, my friend who works at Volvo dealer told me not to buy it, serious engine problems... This was for diesels, not sure if it applies to whatever you were looking at specifically.

Too bad, because you can get it really good equipped for the price of base/mid spec germans.

Sadman

Fan
Reactions
unfortunately i was looking at S90, my friend who works at Volvo dealer told me not to buy it, serious engine problems... This was for diesels, not sure if it applies to whatever you were looking at specifically.

Too bad, because you can get it really good equipped for the price of base/mid spec germans.

Yes, the prices for these new Volvo models can be interesting even though lately they've aligned their prices quite close to the German rivals (which of course are always the "benchmark" here in Europe according to the corrupted media), still the XC40 with a T4 engine and basically full optional costed like 2000€ more than the equivalent Luxury UX 250h (which has some extra things and it's hybrid).

As I said, nice and interesting, quite good looking with a big boot but I'm not spending this amount of money for a product that has some cheap detail inside and apparently has serious issues. This makes me sad because I find new Volvo cars a refreshing alternative to the boring German rivals, this without considering Alfa Romeo because it's more driver oriented.

On the Italian forum I was reading about an owner whose car literally died. He wrote that his car suddenly started ringing a collision alert sound + message while he was driving on an empty road (the car reacted too!) then it started losing power and he stopped at the side of the road, then he and the mechanic who came in his rescue weren't able to start the engine again nor to move the gear level which was stuck (they followed the manual for the unblocking procedure without success) even with Volvo's technicians on the other side of the phone guiding them. Months later he still hasn't his car back and Volvo is refusing to tell him what happened exactly, blaming all the problems on bad diesel he pumped in his car while refuelling. ._.

My guess is that there's something serious about the electronics, and God knows how hard is to diagnose a malfunction on modern cars that are literally smartphones on wheels...

Other people had their car Sensus system die suddenly after they updated the system at the dealer during regular maintenance, this also means that the driver won't be able to use the air conditioning system since there are no physical buttons for that but you do everything via the central tablet...

So, reliability wise I'd expect the UX to win without effort on the XC40 and I'm saying this even now that the car isn't on the road, I'm absolutely sure about the Toyota hybrid system being reliable.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
yeah, it is completely different store. XC40 looks to me much cheaper inside than UX, but it should have more space, did you compare the two?

I would never pay the same for Volvo as for Lexus or Germans, their resale value always tanks.

Sadman

Fan
Reactions
did you compare the two?

Actually I didn't because the car here in Europe will arrive in march/april so it's not possible to do it.

I saw the car at the Geneva Motorshow in march and weeks ago at my dealer, they had a pre-series model for one week end, but I didn't understand much because I had a little amount of time to explore the model as in both occasion there were a lot of people around the car, however I wasn't impressed by the door panels on the UX and I prefer them on my CT because they have more color and details if compared to the little fake leather covered part, which is the only colored area on the door.

One thing I'm sure the UX is definitely worse in is the luggage area, which is tiny and overall a very little step forward if compared to the already small space I have inside the CT.

Then I hopped into an XC40 at the Volvo dealership (an Inscription top of the line model) and I was pleased by some details (the wood trim was nice for example and so were the metal inserts on the steering wheel, also I liked the light colored plastics you get if you choose light colored seats) but I also saw some things I didn't like (all that glossy black plastic...): the entire front cabin in real life to me seemed kind of cheap. I mean everything look like it's built and assembled with precision but overall the perceived quality is kind of "german-ish" because it pleases more the eye rather than being effectively solid parts of high quality like in a Lexus, it's something you realize in the moment you see the real thing instead of watching photos on the internet or on the manufacturer's website.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Actually I didn't because the car here in Europe will arrive in march/april so it's not possible to do it.

I saw the car at the Geneva Motorshow in march and weeks ago at my dealer, they had a pre-series model for one week end, but I didn't understand much because I had a little amount of time to explore the model as in both occasion there were a lot of people around the car, however I wasn't impressed by the door panels on the UX and I prefer them on my CT because they have more color and details if compared to the little fake leather covered part, which is the only colored area on the door.

One thing I'm sure the UX is definitely worse is the luggage area, which is tiny and overall an very little step forward if compared to the already small space I have inside the CT.

Then I hopped into an XC40 at the Volvo dealership (an Inscription top of the line model) and I was pleased by some details (the wood trim was nice for example and so were the metal inserts on the steering wheel, also I liked the light colored plastics you get if you choose light colored seats) but I also saw some things I didn't like (all that glossy black plastic...): the entire front cabin in real life to me seemed kind of cheap. I mean everything look like it's built and assembled with precision but overall the perceived quality is kind of "german-ish" because it pleases more the eye rather than being effectively solid parts of high quality like in a Lexus, it's something you realize in the moment you see the real thing instead of watching photos on the internet or on the manufacturer's website.

Yes, I like lightly colored too... but those F-Sport seats do look good in UX, it makes it all look lively, as long as it is not black. And yeah, everything is similar quality while in XC40 you can pay for better wood trim, but for instance carpeting is more similar to Corolla than UX.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
It seems in UX, they have plenty of UX200's on the lots and barely any UX250h in the USA... I wonder if that is how they built them initially, or simply 250h is wanted a lot more by the customers. Sales split was supposed to be 50/50 according to Lexus.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Checking our local high-volume dealer, Lexus of Towson, they have 2 UX200 and 6 UX250h in stock. This makes sense because Mid-Atlantic dealers generally prefer to stock AWD versions, and the UX is only AWD in the hybrid version.