Reviews: The 2019 Lexus UX 200 & UX 250h

Discussion in 'Lexus Lounge' started by krew, Sep 12, 2018.

1. krew
    krew Administrator
    Motor and LDeleuran like this.
  2. zander
    Everything falls apart for me when you get to the rear. The price is good and I don’t care much about speed. Interior is clean. The CHR is the ugliest thing on the road right now and I fear if I buy this I will just keep seeing that way too high squared off behind on my UX.

3. LDeleuran
    Wow. It is shockingly poorly reviewed! I will have to sample that back seat, infotainment and check out the boot space of the hybrid, because those reviews sound almost too bad to be true.

4. krew
    krew Administrator
    I can not believe the level of disinterest in the UX, though I suppose we're not part of the “urban explorer” target market.

650093_620.jpg

Joe likes this.
  5. Joaquin Ruhi
    Joaquin Ruhi Staff Member Moderator
  6. ssun30
    How was the CT reviewed when it came out? TBH this is a product for which reviews doesn't matter at all. People know what they sign up for when they buy an entry-level 'premium' car.

7. Joe
    Joe Premium Member
    Most of these U.S. reviews are indeed rather negative. It seems to me that the European press is far more positive.
    A lot of these U.S. journalists systematically seem willing to compare any new Lexus with a racetrack ready sportscar. What do they expect?:no_mouth::confused:

This UX drives perfectly good. This car doesn't need to offer a milimeter precise steering feedback like a Porsche 911. It is not the sportiest, but very comfortable with enough power when needed. Compared to - for example - a BMW X1 with comparable engine power, it is far more refined, better finished, better dynamics due to the low centre of gravity, excellent short turning radius for city use, lower TCO, better value for money... perhaps a bit smaller on the inside (especially the trunk space). The UX is more of a crossover than a SUV.

I do however understand the eternal criticism on the multimedia & touchpad. But even regarding this item, the critics are often based on a very short usage time. If you are used to the system after - let's say - a week, for 80% of the functions it is OK. Not the best on the market, but OK.
    Wining engine sound of the CVT is present, but far less than in some other (Toyota or Lexus) models and is only a bit disturbing for the short time on full power when overtaking on a motorway.

Anyway, I really think this model can be a gamechanger for Lexus in Europe as the only luxury hybrid = smart diesel alternative ;)

8. LDeleuran
    I can only speak for Europe. Here it received rather disastrous reviews, with some of the reviews even speaking falsehoods about the car. One instance was so grievous that I called them out on facebook (A Danish rag complained about poor fuel economy while referring to the lifetime average).

The poor reception has consequences. Lexus withdrew from the Danish market the following year.

I had high hopes for the UX (even though I'm disappointed with the rear bar assembly not being a single piece), so I am wondering how much effort it would take to double check the negative claims that have been uttered.

9. spwolf
    UX has been one of the better reviewed Lexus products.. not sure where are you guys seeing all the negativity. Even US sites were pretty positive. Of course, it is $32k, it is 4.4m vehicle and shallow boot and 167hp engine. Once we are past that, it is nicely reviewed.

From driving.ca:

irishtimes
    KBB

cnet

independent.ie

autoblog
    car
    drive au

citizen co za
    Edmunds

top gear

whichcar au

autocar uk

automobile mag
    AMS DE

Cant have everyone loving it, but it is certainly one of the best reviewed Lexi... pretty much all YT video reviewers mention that they think it will be great seller.

10. Joaquin Ruhi
    Interesting perspective. A Kaizen Factor article I wrote on March 2016 touches upon Lexus' retreat from Denmark. I was under the impression that it was mostly the country's onerous taxation, even on fuel-sipping hybrids such as CT, that led to Lexus' departure.

11. spwolf
    They make decisions based on sales not media... Lexus withdrew from quite few countries then but it is also now opening again in many of those.

12. Joaquin Ruhi
    Now you've piqued my curiosity. The withdrawal from Denmark was probably the only one I was familiar with (maybe Egypt as well?). Do you have specific examples of other countries Lexus has withdrawn from? Or withdrawn only to return later?

13. LDeleuran
    Lexus sold 13 cars in the last year in Denmark, (it was not a full year, though). 42 cars the year prior.

The new UX and ES could do well in Denmark if it were not for the tax advantages of dirty diesels (diesel is taxed less than petrol and all hybrid components are taxed with the full 150% tax which comes after the 25% VAT!*) The official Danish Lexus website says that they are considering reentering if the market should ever seem more favorable. I applaud Toyota for trying, but that market was an uphill battle.

*I am simplifying a bit. The tax for a car is extremely complicated and factors in equipment and fuel efficiency.

mikeavelli and Joaquin Ruhi like this.
  14. spwolf
    Croatia and Bosnia, to return to Croatia this year. They also started Turkey recently

Joaquin Ruhi likes this.
  15. Joaquin Ruhi
    Yes, I knew about that one. In fact, that was what triggered my aforementioned Kaizen Factor article

16. spwolf
    i do expect them to return to go everywhere in Europe again, with new UX and NX, and especially whenever new CT is introduced, they will have many vehicles to sell around $40k that is the most of EU market.

NX is first vehicle from Lexus in Europe whose sales did not drop heavily after first year.

Joaquin Ruhi likes this.
  17. Joaquin Ruhi
    From Autoweek's review:

https://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2019-lexus-ux-first-drive-yet-another-slice

18. CIF
    CIF Premium Member
    I'm so disappointed that the UX will have so many supposed changes and omissions for the North American market vs Europe and other markets.

No AVS for the UX in North America? Run flat tires only for the UX in North America? F-Sport in North America supposedly will lack some things vs other overseas markets? This seems very disappointing. It's almost as if Lexus doesn't really want the UX to be a big seller in North America. It definitely seems to be a very European-focused model, especially with the slow performance and acceleration for both the gas and hybrid models. I shouldn't be totally surprised though, as this is a very entry level model, and I guess AVS should not be expected on a model like this (even though European markets will get AVS).

Joaquin Ruhi likes this.
  19. Sadman
    I have a question and I was wondering if someone can help me identify what this particular is.

ZHAWq5Z[1].jpg

This sort of "3D" effect knob for the air vent equips a Luxury UX, as shown on the official Lexus website, but it also can be found in several pictures of F-Sport models like this one:

jqCvY7B[1].jpg

However at the same time I've found other renders/pictures that show F-Sport cars withouth these pieces but rather they have a standard knob without the 3D effect.

eJyIoTc[1].jpg

This is also confirmed by the Italian and German UX car configurator, so basically even the full optional F-Sport model (provided the configurator shows every change in the final render of course) looks like the picture above and the only way to see that particular 3D knob is by choosing a Luxury trim.

Do you have any idea of what that piece is and what is its function? Is it a merely aesthetic purpose?

Thanks!

20. Motor