Reviews: The 2019 Lexus ES 350 & ES 300h

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
While it is "replacing" the GS as the model to be offered, it is not replacing the segment the GS was competing in. This message should also be conveyed thoroughly to EU customers because this car does not have the GS price tag but IS price, therefore, the quality is commensurate to that price. For instance, he was pointing out that some parts of the ES were flimsy while it wants on the A6. That comparison should have been made with the A4.

I am pretty sure those parts were also due to preproduction status... And it is not his fault Lexus EU is comparing it to the GS.

I think it is very good thing and thats what sales people will do too - plus obviously there is a huge price differences between really well equipped A6/E/5.

But otherwise, most of these base models or at least under 60-70k models dont have overall nicer interior at all.

asoksevil

Fan
Reactions
I am pretty sure those parts were also due to preproduction status... And it is not his fault Lexus EU is comparing it to the GS.

I think it is very good thing and thats what sales people will do too - plus obviously there is a huge price differences between really well equipped A6/E/5.

But otherwise, most of these base models or at least under 60-70k models dont have overall nicer interior at all.

As far as I know, Lexus told the press that the ES is competing against the C Class and 3 Series. The guy just heard that since they are discontinuing the GS in Europe, the ES would be replaced model (which it is) but does not occupy the same segment as the GS.

I too hope these preproduction defects are gone by the time it makes it to the final assembly, I would love to see how a product that costs £10-15 less can be an equal challenger. Similar to when the LS debuted and it was better than the S Class and far cheaper.

Reactions
For those of you that have driven both the Regular and the Sport how noticeable is the difference? Reviews seem to be mixed on the sport being anything more than the extra styling, which I do like but will be hard to justify the upgrade for just that..

Sakura

Fan
Reactions
As far as I know, Lexus told the press that the ES is competing against the C Class and 3 Series. The guy just heard that since they are discontinuing the GS in Europe, the ES would be replaced model (which it is) but does not occupy the same segment as the GS.

I too hope these preproduction defects are gone by the time it makes it to the final assembly, I would love to see how a product that costs £10-15 less can be an equal challenger. Similar to when the LS debuted and it was better than the S Class and far cheaper.

No idea why Lexus said that - it makes them sound they like are high some strong drugs.

I don't think the Lexus ES competes with the C/3 at all...
1) The Lexus ES is marketed as a luxury sedan while the C-Class and 3 Series are "Entry-level luxury" sports sedans. The Lexus ES isn't really "entry-level". The Lexus IS is... The Lexus IS is the true competitor to the C300 and 3 Series.
2) The Lexus ES is much bigger than the C/3.
3) The Lexus ES is much more luxurious than the C/3. Half the stuff offered on the ES doesn't get offered on the C/3.
4) The Lexus ES is performance figures are not good enough to compete with the C/3. The Lexus ES350 does a 6.6 0-60 which is only .3 seconds quicker than the Lexus IS300 Turbo (6.9 seconds).
5) If its considered as the C/3 competitor, where does that leave the IS? If Lexus cancels the IS, that's a bad business move. They'll lose so much business because if someone wants a RWD Luxury Sedan from Lexus they have to buy the GS or LS... These people might just jump to MB/BMW for the lower-priced RWD Sedans.

The reason the Lexus ES is seen as a GS competitor is because the GS is removed from EU sales and the ES will be sold there for the first time. On top of the ES having similar sizing to the E-Class/5 Series and hold similar luxurious features.

Last edited:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
For those of you that have driven both the Regular and the Sport how noticeable is the difference? Reviews seem to be mixed on the sport being anything more than the extra styling, which I do like but will be hard to justify the upgrade for just that..

I'll write more about this in my review next week, but there's a weight to the ES F SPORT steering that is missing from the standard model. I feel very confident saying the ES F SPORT is the car to buy -- driving experience is much better, but not at the expense of ride quality.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
No idea why Lexus said that - it makes them sound they like are high some strong drugs.

The reason the Lexus ES is seen as a GS competitor is because the GS is removed from EU sales and the ES will be sold there for the first time. On top of the ES having similar sizing to the E-Class/5 Series and hold similar luxurious features.

The ES may have the size and luxury level of the E Class/5 Series, but it will be priced like a C Class/3 Series. This is why Lexus uses entry-level models as the comparison, and also explains why the ES is so disruptive in the market. It's a lot of car for the money.

Sakura

Fan
Reactions
The ES may have the size and luxury level of the E Class/5 Series, but it will be priced like a C Class/3 Series. This is why Lexus uses entry-level models as the comparison, and also explains why the ES is so disruptive in the market. It's a lot of car for the money.

Yup. The Lexus ES has always priced pretty similarity to the C-Class and 3-Series. But I don't think that really justifies a good comparison between these 3 cars. Other than price, the ES is extremely different compared to the C-Class and 3-Series and couldn't be further apart in competition. The Lexus ES is more luxurious and spacious than the C-Class and 3-Series and its also lacks sportiness, performance, and RWD of the C/3.

However - I do see how the ES can be disruptive. Its offering E-Class/5-Series size and features for C-Class and 3-Series money. But to me - that's still a E-Class/5-Series competitor because they are under-cutting the E/5 competition to gain business.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Review Roundup: The 2019 Lexus ES 350 & ES 300h

18-06-07-lexus-es-350.jpg

First drive impressions of the new Lexus sedan.
View the original article post

Reactions
Krew

Are you able to upgrade the sport model to luxury or ultra luxury to gain leather seating and wood trim? The way i'm reading your review is the sport package comes standard with the premium package which has Nuluxe seating. I don't see an upgrade option for leather trim.

Last edited:

Sakura

Fan
Reactions
Krew

Are you able to upgrade the sport model to luxury or ultra luxury to gain leather seating and wood trim? The way i'm reading your review is the sport package comes standard with the premium package which has Nuluxe seating. I don't see an upgrade option for leather trim.

I don't believe you can. You can't get luxury nor the ultra packages on ES F-Sport.

Its pretty much gonna be like this:
Base model > Premium Pack > F-Sport (Premium Pack required).
Base model > Premium Pack > Luxury Pack (Premium Pack required) > Ultra Luxury Pack (Luxury Pack required).

So basically - F-Sport only gives with NuLuxe seats.

I'll write more about this in my review next week, but there's a weight to the ES F SPORT steering that is missing from the standard model. I feel very confident saying the ES F SPORT is the car to buy -- driving experience is much better, but not at the expense of ride quality.

Agreed. For us car enthusiasts, if we were have to must have an ES, the F-Sport is the one to buy. But - I feel like for the target demographics of the ES - the Premium Pack to Luxury Package will be the most popular trim to buy.

Last edited:
Reactions
The f-sport exterior looks great but to me the red interior is just not attractive for an everyday car and the black or black just looks boring in the videos i have watched.. The option of leather and a different trim package would seal the deal for me on the f-sport but now i am left having to choose one or the other. I cant see myself spending 40k-50k on a car and not getting a basic luxury amenity like leather seats. I understand the market for each car is different but i have to imagine there are alot of people that want some of both.

Last edited:

Sakura

Fan
Reactions
The f-sport exterior looks great but to me the red interior is just not attractive for an everyday car and the black or black just looks boring in the videos i have watched.. The option of leather and a different trim package would seal the deal for me on the f-sport but now i am left having to choose one or the other.

Its pretty pick and choose, in this case. If you want luxury or sporty appearance. Similar how Acura TLX/RDX won't let you Advance Pack if you do A-Spec.

Now obviously its your money, but my advice would be to option for the Luxury or Ultra Luxury and skip the F-Sport if you want a 2019 ES.

The F-Sport ES is pretty much just all appearance. There's only a subtle difference between the F-Sport ES to the Luxury ES in driving dynamics. With that being said - the Lexus ES is also weighed down by its own weight, front wheel drive and a MacPherson suspension set-up. With a 0-60 time of 6.6 seconds (respectable) but in context, its slow for a V6, because the Lexus IS300 Turbo (with less HP does it in 6.9 seconds). That's only a .3 second difference!
What I'm basically saying is - the F-Sport package is just not worth it, especially on a FWD car. The Lexus ES F-Sport won't beat anyone in a drag, doesn't handle like a RWD car in the hills/track, its big (so not nimble), and basically just not sporty - its just sporty looking. You are better off optioning for the luxury package and enjoy more comfort and luxurious features because that's what the Lexus ES is about.

Similarity - the Lexus LS500 too. The F-Sport model restricts you from getting the Executive Package with Kiriko Glass (hand-cut glass door panels). With a car like the Lexus LS, you would want the Executive Pack and skip the F-Sport because the F-Sport won't do it justice.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Its pretty pick and choose, in this case. If you want luxury or sporty appearance. Similar how Acura TLX/RDX won't let you Advance Pack if you do A-Spec.

Now obviously its your money, but my advice would be to option for the Luxury or Ultra Luxury and skip the F-Sport if you want a 2019 ES.

The F-Sport ES is pretty much just all appearance. There's only a subtle difference between the F-Sport ES to the Luxury ES in driving dynamics. With that being said - the Lexus ES is also weighed down by its own weight, front wheel drive and a MacPherson suspension set-up. With a 0-60 time of 6.6 seconds (respectable) but in context, its slow for a V6, because the Lexus IS300 Turbo (with less HP does it in 6.9 seconds). That's only a .3 second difference!
What I'm basically saying is - the F-Sport package is just not worth it, especially on a FWD car. The Lexus ES F-Sport won't beat anyone in a drag, doesn't handle like a RWD car in the hills/track, its big (so not nimble), and basically just not sporty - its just sporty looking. You are better off optioning for the luxury package and enjoy more comfort and luxurious features because that's what the Lexus ES is about.

Similarity - the Lexus LS500 too. The F-Sport model restricts you from getting the Executive Package with Kiriko Glass (hand-cut glass door panels). With a car like the Lexus LS, you would want the Executive Pack and skip the F-Sport because the F-Sport won't do it justice.

It is not black or white... F-Sport is fine if you want sportier ES, it is not a sports car, but goes and handles well according to all the reviews.

Reactions
It is not black or white... F-Sport is fine if you want sportier ES, it is not a sports car, but goes and handles well according to all the reviews.

You are not wrong it just sucks that you cant have the high end interior with the f-sport. Just because i want a great handling car does not mean i dont want leather seats, an interior color other than black or red or an attractive trim package.I’m going to reserve judgment until I see it in person though.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

It's funny how Lexus posts overestimated acceleration figures for RWD cars but underestimated figures for FWD cars. The 5ES and 6ES are already tested to beat that number. Generally the ES350 are doing high-5s or low-6s, 1 second faster than the official number, with the 270hp 2GR-FE. On the other hand the LS500 is known to underdeliver by almost 1 second.

I doubt the 7ES will beat the 6ES by 0.5s (suggested by the official numbers) since the 6ES is already traction-limited. That extra horsepower seems to only cause more wheelspin on the 7ES, a good reason for them to add AWD. 5.8s is like the magic barrier that prevents FWD vehicles from getting any quicker, since weight transfer reduces grip at the front axle. One would need some special engineering tricks like those on the Type-R to get below that number. The new engine is mostly about fuel economy and wide power band.

You missed the point. F-sport is exactly about the appearance. It has a very high take rate because people just want a fancier exterior. For the same reason M Sport, AMG Sport, and S-line packages are very popular among BBA buyers. The NX and RX have nothing to do with handling dynamics or speed but they have F-sport packages anyway. It's a sad thing to happen but that's the way it is.

This has been brought up on this forum over and over again, but it doesn't seem Lexus will change their approach since F-Sport packages are selling so well. Again, it's a sad thing to happen but that's the way it is.