Remote start subscription?

Reactions
I bought my wife a new GX460 last year (2017 MY) for Christmas and was informed by the dealer the Enform system (smart phone app) was free for 1 yr, but the remote start utilizing the keyfob would continue to work if I chose not to renew.

Now we’ve discovered the keyfob remote system (which is a radio transmitter) is disabled when the Enform (WiFi/cellular) subscription runs out. To continue using it, it will be $17.99/mo for the rest of the time we own the vehicle.

After many conversations with our dealer, Lexus customer service and Enform CS, we have come to the conclusion our salesperson misled us at time of purchase.

I am very dissapointed that Lexus does not include a basic, keyfob (radio) based remote start on a $60,000 “luxury SUV” like my daughter’s (2017) $20,000 Toyota Corolla.

This will likely be the end of our relationship with Lexus.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
That seems weird to me. Most Lexus vehicles have remote start only through an iOS or Android app, and that obviously requires the Enform subscription. I don't think it's *possible* for the keyfob to talk to the Internet so it shouldn't care about Enform, but maybe one of the Lexus dealer techs who reads here can give us a heads up.

Reactions
It appears they deliberately disable the keyfob remote start to force the customer to pay for a subscription.

Not mentioned in first post, the Enform remote start did not work reliably the first year we had the vehicle. Customer service said they were in the process of updating the system, then later claimed the problem was on our end due to having the app loaded on two devices (wife and I each have our own phones... go figure)

My wife likes the new Lincoln Navigator now, so this experience will likely end soon.

RAL

Reactions
It appears they deliberately disable the keyfob remote start to force the customer to pay for a subscription.

Not mentioned in first post, the Enform remote start did not work reliably the first year we had the vehicle. Customer service said they were in the process of updating the system, then later claimed the problem was on our end due to having the app loaded on two devices (wife and I each have our own phones... go figure)

My wife likes the new Lincoln Navigator now, so this experience will likely end soon.
Pardon me ... I think I failed to offer you an official "Welcome" @Earl James.
You may find many more dissatisfactions with a Lincoln than the remote start of a Lexus ... I wish you well.

Reactions
That seems weird to me. Most Lexus vehicles have remote start only through an iOS or Android app, and that obviously requires the Enform subscription. I don't think it's *possible* for the keyfob to talk to the Internet so it shouldn't care about Enform, but maybe one of the Lexus dealer techs who reads here can give us a heads up.

Once you have the Lexus Enform Remote app configured you can then use both your phone and the key fob to remotely start the vehicle. When the one year trial of Enform Remote expires, key fob functionality expires as well.

Reactions: RAL
Reactions
@earl (OP) — I feel you. I’ve been in touch with all the same to no avail. Absolutely puts a sour taste in your mouth with Lexus for allowing Enform to pull this kind of BS.

@SAND619 missing the point. Point is that a owner shouldn’t lose the ability of the key fob remote start that doesn’t utilize the Enform app or system at all.

I would like to see a class act lawsuit filed by owners for being held back from a physical component that exists on the vehicle and is being rendered non functional via software. Lexus should make good and install remote starter component if they can’t get Enform to agree to update this. Both companies should be accountable.

as for salespeople misleading.. honestly bet many don’t/didn’t even know the issue existed as such. I think most would find it unimaginable as this only impacts a few vehicles namely 2016-2018 GX. Still the dealership could offer to install a remote starter paid for by Lexus.

We already deal with such an outdated infotainment center. Garbage. But at least you knew what you were getting during purchase. This other issue doesn’t rear its ugly head until the subscription expires.

Reactions
FYI - 3G shutdown at end of October 2022

"Certain telecommunications providers have elected to discontinue 3G wireless services by the end of 2022, affecting select 2010-2018 Lexus Vehicles reliant on this network to provide Lexus Enform subscription services. As of October 31, 2022, at 11:59 PM CST, Lexus Enform Safety Connect, Destination Assist, Remote, and Service Connect subscription services will be discontinued on select 2010-2018 vehicles."

https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...=190,1594,1752

What is happening?
As wireless technology continues to evolve, telecommunications providers in North America are making significant changes to their legacy communications infrastructures and network capabilities. Certain telecommunications providers have elected to terminate 3G wireless services, which will impact available services for motor vehicles. This affects certain 2010-2018 Lexus Vehicles reliant on these 3G networks to provide Lexus Enform subscription services.

Why is this happening?
Telecommunications providers are discontinuing 3G services in favor of newer and more advanced LTE networks. Although these circumstances were created by factors beyond our control, we sincerely regret any inconvenience this may cause.

How does this impact Lexus vehicles?
As of October 31, 2022, at 11:59PM CST, the following available Lexus Enform subscription services will be terminated on select 2010-2018 vehicles:
  • Lexus Enform Safety Connect including Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Emergency Assistance Button and Stolen Vehicle Locator
  • Lexus Enform Remote including Remote Engine Start/Stop, Door Lock/Unlock, Vehicle Finder, Guest Driver Monitor, Vehicle Status and Alerts, Key Fob Remote Start, and Integration with Alexa® and The Google Assistant
  • Lexus Enform Destination Assist including 24-hour live response center agent
  • Lexus Enform Service Connect including Vehicle Health Report, Vehicle Alerts, and Maintenance Alerts
screen_shot_2020_06_13_at_11_17_29_pm_5cabc14b8b3cad87f24605faed015696106f1b23.png

Can I still take advantage of available trials and/or renew my Lexus Enform subscription?
Starting September 1, 2021, available Lexus Enform subscription services will only be offered on a month-to-month basis for impacted vehicles. Through the Lexus app, you can subscribe to or renew your available Lexus Enform subscription services through September 30, 2022. Any active Lexus Enform subscription services will be terminated as of October 31, 2022 at 11:59PM CST.

What will happen to existing Enform subscriptions on November 1, 2022?
Any active Lexus Enform subscription services will be terminated as of October 31, 2022 at 11:59PM CST.

What happens if I am involved in a collision or require emergency services on or after November 1, 2022?
Safety Connect® will no longer function as of October 31, 2022 at 11:59PM CST. As of that date, Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Emergency Assistance Button and Stolen Vehicle Locator will no longer be available.

What will happen to existing Safety Connect® subscriptions on November 1, 2022?
Any unused portion of an affected paid subscription service will be refunded at a prorated amount. These refunds will begin on November 1, 2022.

Will there be any impact to Lexus Enform App Suite functionality?
No, Lexus Enform App Suite does not require the vehicle’s 3G network. There is no app activation fee or monthly recurring fees; however, registration in the app is required. The Lexus Enform App Suite relies on your smartphone data plan, and carrier charges may apply. Using your compatible smartphone, the Lexus Enform App Suite offers access to certain mobile applications through your vehicle’s multimedia display.

If my vehicle is involved with the Limited Service Campaign for Safety Connect System – Vehicle Location Inaccurate, what should I do?
On September 12, 2019, Lexus launched a Limited Service Campaign, which involved the Data Communication Module (DCM) in subject vehicles that is equipped with software to identify the vehicles’ location using the Global Positioning System (GPS) to support features of the Safety Connect system*. Due to incorrect programming in the DCM software, after November 2, 2019, the GPS coordinates for this system can no longer be calculated correctly. This causes the system to use incorrect vehicle coordinates if one of the system’s features is activated.
If you have not completed the above Limited Service Campaign, any authorized Lexus dealer will perform the software update FREE OF CHARGE to you. Please contact your authorized Lexus dealer to make an appointment to have the software update performed.

Reactions
@Bauri88073 hey thank you so much for telling me something Lexus/Enform/or Dealership should have informed me about. Another shoddy move on their part. This kind of pisses me off but also solidifies my choice to move forward with a separate remote start option and just forget about this situation. All three companies mentioned send me plenty of salesy emails, occasional recall notice etc. but never once mentioned this news to me.

Thank you again for taking the time to post this. Clearly you should be running “Enform” lol.