Lexus GX Remote start subscription?

Reaction score
I bought my wife a new GX460 last year (2017 MY) for Christmas and was informed by the dealer the Enform system (smart phone app) was free for 1 yr, but the remote start utilizing the keyfob would continue to work if I chose not to renew.

Now we’ve discovered the keyfob remote system (which is a radio transmitter) is disabled when the Enform (WiFi/cellular) subscription runs out. To continue using it, it will be $17.99/mo for the rest of the time we own the vehicle.

After many conversations with our dealer, Lexus customer service and Enform CS, we have come to the conclusion our salesperson misled us at time of purchase.

I am very dissapointed that Lexus does not include a basic, keyfob (radio) based remote start on a $60,000 “luxury SUV” like my daughter’s (2017) $20,000 Toyota Corolla.

This will likely be the end of our relationship with Lexus.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Expert
Staff member
Reaction score
That seems weird to me. Most Lexus vehicles have remote start only through an iOS or Android app, and that obviously requires the Enform subscription. I don't think it's *possible* for the keyfob to talk to the Internet so it shouldn't care about Enform, but maybe one of the Lexus dealer techs who reads here can give us a heads up.

Reaction score
It appears they deliberately disable the keyfob remote start to force the customer to pay for a subscription.

Not mentioned in first post, the Enform remote start did not work reliably the first year we had the vehicle. Customer service said they were in the process of updating the system, then later claimed the problem was on our end due to having the app loaded on two devices (wife and I each have our own phones... go figure)

My wife likes the new Lincoln Navigator now, so this experience will likely end soon.

RAL

Expert
Staff member
Reaction score
It appears they deliberately disable the keyfob remote start to force the customer to pay for a subscription.

Not mentioned in first post, the Enform remote start did not work reliably the first year we had the vehicle. Customer service said they were in the process of updating the system, then later claimed the problem was on our end due to having the app loaded on two devices (wife and I each have our own phones... go figure)

My wife likes the new Lincoln Navigator now, so this experience will likely end soon.
Pardon me ... I think I failed to offer you an official "Welcome" @Earl James.
You may find many more dissatisfactions with a Lincoln than the remote start of a Lexus ... I wish you well.

Reaction score
That seems weird to me. Most Lexus vehicles have remote start only through an iOS or Android app, and that obviously requires the Enform subscription. I don't think it's *possible* for the keyfob to talk to the Internet so it shouldn't care about Enform, but maybe one of the Lexus dealer techs who reads here can give us a heads up.
Once you have the Lexus Enform Remote app configured you can then use both your phone and the key fob to remotely start the vehicle. When the one year trial of Enform Remote expires, key fob functionality expires as well.

Reactions: RAL