R/T- 20 Greatest Driving Roads

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I've done the Dragon a few times, the last time in "lexmama's" GS F-Sport 2 years. Its time to go back :)

It wouldn't be surprising if you shared that road with a number of motorcycles. Depending on the weather/road conditions, bikers are often attracted to that course like bees to honey.

Last edited:

Och

Admirer
Reactions
It wouldn't be surprising if you shared that road with a number of motorcycles. Depending on the weather/road conditions, bikers are often attracted to that course like bees to honey.

There are a ton of bikers on PA backroads. Mostly mature folks riding their cruisers such as Harleys, not many rice rockets.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
There are a ton of bikers on PA backroads. Mostly mature folks riding their cruisers such as Harleys, not many rice rockets.

Western PA and its mountain roads (U.S. 40 down Chestnut Ridge into Uniontown has long been one of my favorites for a steep grade) used to have a lot of Harley bikers in the area because they worked blue-collar jobs in the local steel, coal, and railroad industries. Many of those jobs, of course, are now gone. Harleys themselves are built at York, in South-Central PA...the company sells tickets for plant-tours.

The road that I think Mike is referring to is not in PA, but the famous Tail of the Dragon road, which carries U.S. 129 across the NC/TN border from Deal's Gap across the Great Smoky Mountains and some of the highest elevations in the East. It has 318 curves, sharp curves, and hairpins in the space of just a dozen or so miles. Bikers absolutely love it, and Deal's Gap, on the southeast end, is a well-known bike resort.

Last edited:

Och

Admirer
Reactions
So this December has been unusually warm here in NE. The whole past week temperature was in the 60ies and today it was in the 70ies! My wife and I went to a resort in PA for a weekend getaway, and had a lot of fun which included some spirited driving. However this time I encountered something that really surprised me.

There is a stretch of route 402 that was recently repaved, I'd say maybe 15 miles long, and when I was driving on this stretch my tires were playing music! I've heard of musical roads before, where they score the road surface in such way that when tires roll on them, they create noise that resembles musical instruments, but I didn't know they had one in PA.

I couldn't find any information about it on google, and wikipedia doesn't mention anything about it either - but although subtle, the musical sound was definitely there. At first I kind of brushed it off, thinking I was hearing things, but it became more and more obvious as we drove on. After the newer stretch of this road ended, and we hit the old pavement, the music stopped.

mikeavelli

Reactions
So this December has been unusually warm here in NE. The whole past week temperature was in the 60ies and today it was in the 70ies! My wife and I went to a resort in PA for a weekend getaway, and had a lot of fun which included some spirited driving. However this time I encountered something that really surprised me.

There is a stretch of route 402 that was recently repaved, I'd say maybe 15 miles long, and when I was driving on this stretch my tires were playing music! I've heard of musical roads before, where they score the road surface in such way that when tires roll on them, they create noise that resembles musical instruments, but I didn't know they had one in PA.

I couldn't find any information about it on google, and wikipedia doesn't mention anything about it either - but although subtle, the musical sound was definitely there. At first I kind of brushed it off, thinking I was hearing things, but it became more and more obvious as we drove on. After the newer stretch of this road ended, and we hit the old pavement, the music stopped.

Hey, that sounds crazy! Hope you had a good time.

nabbun

Premium Member
Reactions
I've been to the Dragon a few times. Even got to go on a duo run with a certain world famous orange Nissan 240z with a skyline engine. I wonder if any other road in the US can top it.