R/T- 20 Greatest Driving Roads

mikeavelli

Reactions
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/travel/g6417/20-greatest-driving-roads-in-the-world/

A great road challenges everyday notions, replacing the familiar–the dull grind of everyday commuting–with the epic: turns, terrain and landscape that adjust our perception of the world. But most of all, it elicits a thrill. These 20 mythic highways inspire us to hit the road.

I've done the Dragon a few times, the last time in "lexmama's" GS F-Sport 2 years. Its time to go back :)

35226aa.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Nice list, Mike. :)

The Big Sur section of the Pacific Coast Highway (especialy the bridge) is often used as a poster-child backdrop for auto-ads.

Personally, in addition to R&T's list (which, I'll admit, is a good one), I'd add the Pikes' Peak Climb in Colorado, the (Rio Grande) River Road through the desert/mountains of West Texas, the Going to the Sun Highway in the Montana Rockies, and, of course, the Virginia/North Carolina Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway with its soft beautiful colors and views. The Mt. Washington Road in the White Mountains of New Hampshire is also impressive, but is very steep and can be dangerous in spots without guard rails. And Skyline Drive's speed limit is only 35 MPH, which allows for scenery viewing but rules out more aggressive driving.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Maybe not nearly as exotic, but there are some back roads in PA's Pocono Mountains that are extremely fun to drive on. And best of all, since they are relatively remote there is a pretty low chance of running into cops if you break a law or two. :D

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Maybe not nearly as exotic, but there are some back roads in PA's Pocono Mountains that are extremely fun to drive on. And best of all, since they are relatively remote there is a pretty low chance of running into cops if you break a law or two. :D

Cops don't necessarily have to be there. Today, cameras do much of the work., although you have a point that you're not going to find many red lights on that type of road.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Cops don't necessarily have to be there. Today, cameras do much of the work., although you have a point that you're not going to find many red lights on that type of road.

Do they have speed cameras in PA's Ponoco mountains (roads mentioned by Och)?

Cameras don't do speed enforcement in the state with the most cars. Speed cameras in CA are pretty much gone (not that they were ever common in CA), after courts dismissed the violations.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Do they have speed cameras in PA's Ponoco mountains (roads mentioned by Och)?

Cameras don't do speed enforcement in the state with the most cars. Speed cameras in CA are pretty much gone (not that they were ever common in CA), after courts dismissed the violations.

There are no speed-cameras in the state of PA that I know of (the state doesn't allow them)....but there are red-light cameras. Here is a current list of what kind of cameras are used, and their associated fines, in all 50 states:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/automated_enforcement/enforcementtable?topicName=speed

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
There are no speed-cameras in the state of PA that I know of (the state doesn't allow them)....but there are red-light cameras. Here is a current list of what kind of cameras are used, and their associated fines, in all 50 states:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/automated_enforcement/enforcementtable?topicName=speed

So no speed cameras on PA's Ponocos mountain roads (roads mentioned by Och). And no red light cameras.

Not sure what any of this has to do with....

Och

Admirer
Reactions
On Pocono roads Im much more worried about wild animal coming into my path than any cameras. I usually avoid driving in remote areas at night, since at night wild animals are a lot more likely to get out on the road.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
On Pocono roads Im much more worried about wild animal coming into my path than any cameras. I usually avoid driving in remote areas at night, since at night wild animals are a lot more likely to get out on the road.

Wow, now there's some useful advice for those driving Pocono roads, thanks.

(I got similar advice in Baja Mexico regarding the nice country roads to get to artist town of Todos Santos, although the animals were more likely to be cattle on unfenced rangeland)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

Pennsylvania and West Virginia are both known for a widespread deer population, especially in rural areas....arguably the largest herds east of the Mississippi. You see a number of road-kill doe and buck carcasses.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Pennsylvania and West Virginia are both known for a widespread deer population, especially in rural areas....arguably the largest herds east of the Mississippi. You see a number of road-kill doe and buck carcasses.

Its true for any semi rural area. Plenty of wild animals in NJ, upstate NY, CT. I had some close calls myself, and after a moose encounter that I narrowly avoided, I pretty much avoid driving at night time in rural areas.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Its true for any semi rural area. Plenty of wild animals in NJ, upstate NY, CT. I had some close calls myself, and after a moose encounter that I narrowly avoided, I pretty much avoid driving at night time in rural areas.

Development, though, in much of those rural areas (making them less rural by definition, of course), is forcing a lot of deer out of their former habitats into areas more inhabited by humans and automobiles. When I learned to drive in the late 60s, even in rural areas, it was rare to even see a deer, much less hit one. I drove many rural miles at night with no problem. That is no longer the case.

Back to the Poconos, here's a web-site you (and some others) might like. :) It lists all of the scenic drives in that area a fairly short distance away from NYC where you live.

http://www.poconovacations.com/visitors/essentials/scenicdrives/default.aspx

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Development, though, in much of those rural areas (making them less rural by definition, of course), is forcing a lot of deer out of their former habitats into areas more inhabited by humans and automobiles. When I learned to drive in the late 60s, even in rural areas, it was rare to even see a deer, much less hit one. I drove many rural miles at night with no problem. That is no longer the case.

Back to the Poconos, here's a web-site you (and some others) might like. :) It lists all of the scenic drives in that area a fairly short distance away from NYC where you live.

I think its because all the forests, which are natural wildlife habitats, are dissected by increased numbers of highways and roads and so these animals often end up on the roads. Pretty much the price we pay for developed infrastructure. In Russia for instance, where infrastructure is a lot less developed, even in the most remote areas it is rare to encounter an animal on the road. They have huge areas of interrupted forests, and animals rarely wonder around.

Thanks for the link. I've been on some of those roads, and PA has always been my favorite state (not just because of the roads of course). Tons of year round activities there, and absolutely the nicest people in the US - only downside I can think of are damn insects that can make life miserable. :D

Last edited:

Och

Admirer
Reactions
On the contrary, the worst roads I've encountered are in Maryland. Can't say that I've been around it much, but where I have been, its been miserable. The roads suck, traffic is congested, and the drivers are the words dumbest idiots, with the most erratic maneuvers. And don't get me started on Baltimore, it's just the worst place in the world. :D

Both Carolinas are also pretty bad. They have some scenic roads, but they are literally infested with world's meanest cops.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
On the contrary, the worst roads I've encountered are in Maryland. Can't say that I've been around it much, but where I have been, its been miserable. The roads suck, traffic is congested, and the drivers are the words dumbest idiots, with the most erratic maneuvers. And don't get me started on Baltimore, it's just the worst place in the world. :D

Both Carolinas are also pretty bad. They have some scenic roads, but they are literally infested with world's meanest cops.

Yeah, the central part of Maryland around D.C. and Baltimore is run by morons (has been for years), but that gets into the region's politics and is maybe outside the scope of this thread.

For some of the toughest enforcement of traffic laws I've seen, try Ohio, especially on the Turnpikes/Interstates. Even apart from any electronic measures, State troopers are diligent by their very nature and presence.

Ohio, though, does have one region with winding two lane driving/sports-car roads that ties in with the thread-topic.......the Hocking Hills region in the south-central and southeastern part of the state. Car and Driver magazine, based north of there at Ann Arbor, Michigan, takes a number of their test-vehicles to the Hocking Hills region for evaluation and simple driving enjoyment.

Last edited:

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Yeah, the part of Maryland around D.C. and Baltimore is run by idiots (has been for years), but that gets into the region's politics and is maybe outside the scope of this thread.

Not talking about politics at all, just that according to my own observations (which may very well be anecdotal) Maryland has the dumbest drivers. But I'm not alone in my observation, according to the link below Baltimore and D.C. are third and second worst in US.

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/na...rst-drivers-are-from-boston-and-san-francisco

For some of the toughest enforcement of traffic laws I've seen, try Ohio, especially on the Turnpikes/Interstates. Even apart from any electronic measures, State troopers are diligent by their very nature and presence.

Ohio, though, does have one region with winding two lane driving/sports-car roads that ties in with the thread-topic.......the Hocking Hills region in the south-central and southeastern part of the state. Car and Driver magazine, based north of there at Ann Arbor, Michigan, takes a number of their test-vehicles to the Hocking Hills region for evaluation and simple driving enjoyment.

I've only been to Ohio once, so I can't comment much. And even in upstate NY, just outside of the Bronx we have some very nice roads, but you can't have fun of them because there are simply too many cops. This is why I love those PA back roads so much - they are beautiful, twisty, very few cars and basically no cops. Not going to incriminate myself, but did I have fun on some of them. :D

Bikers also love these roads, I encounter a lot of Harleys cruising on them.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I think its because all the forests, which are natural wildlife habitats, are dissected by increased numbers of highways and roads and so these animals often end up on the roads. Pretty much the price we pay for developed infrastructure. In Russia for instance, where infrastructure is a lot less developed, even in the most remote areas it is rare to encounter an animal on the road. They have huge areas of interrupted forests, and animals rarely wonder around.

And speaking of beautiful scenic drives, with potential for big road kill numbers, Banff national park in Canada. They have effective "animal bridges" across the scenic highway.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
And speaking of beautiful scenic drives, with potential for big road kill numbers, Banff national park in Canada. They have effective "animal bridges" across the scenic highway.

Banff is indeed beautiful....no question about it. But similar scenery can be found in Montana's Glacier National Park and its famous Going to the Sun Highway. I'm really surprised that it's not on R&T's top 20 list.

75676595.s3MvrutU.jpg

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
^ nice scary teddy bears.

^^ My sister went to Glacier National Park and loved the scenery.

When I toured Banff and Jasper national parks, I flew in/out Calgary and rented a Prius so I could visit friends in Edmonton first. Easy driving vacation.

(Although my backyard is not a scenic road, it's scenic and animals like deer, raccoons, rabbits, foxes, turkeys sometimes have family parties like that there)

Last edited: