Question: Lexus doesn't exist -- what are you driving instead?

Reactions
No votes for Audi? :D It was neck and neck for me because I wanted something other than a gas engine, but no AWD GSh so the A6 TDI was looking good. The interior of the GS brought me back for another round of Lexus though

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm with you krew, it would be a really obvious choice, I'd be driving some sort of Toyota vehicle. I'd definitely stay in the Toyota family. Toyota/Lexus models far and away appeal to me more than any other brands, for a large variety of reasons.

Currently driving a 2015 Camry as a rental for work, and I love it, for the same reasons I've always loved Toyota and Lexus :).

Reactions: RAL

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
Make that another vote for the 4Runner! My mother has a 2015 4Runner Limited and it is quite an SUV. I also really like the new Camry XSE and would have to give that a spin.
hqdefault.jpg

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
I'd probably pick up an FR-S in white if I wasn't getting the IS, and a 2016 Tacoma TRD off-road as the second. It's kind of funny though since the reason I am such a Toyota fan as well, is because of Lexus.

16590365821_dc64685c99_b.jpg

16590889032_0f5fed845c_b.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I would drive an oldie, like this one: ;)

citroen-cx-07.jpg
Sorry to bump up an old thread, folks, but I just wanted to comment that for those of you (and I suspect not many) who have ever had a chance to drive or ride in an old Citroen, you would be amazed at the plush ride and seating comfort that these cars provide with their hydro-pneumatic suspensions and cush-tush seats. The cars could coddle to a much greater extent than their modest (for the time) exterior size would suggest.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Sorry to bump up an old thread, folks, but I just wanted to comment that for those of you (and I suspect not many) who have ever had a chance to drive or ride in an old Citroen, you would be amazed at the plush ride and seating comfort that these cars provide with their hydro-pneumatic suspensions and cush-tush seats. The cars could coddle to a much greater extent than their modest (for the time) exterior size would suggest.

I've heard those suspensions offer amazing comfort, but are very complex, expensive, and supposedly unreliable.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
True, but the French never were Honda or Toyota when it comes to reliability. They also had, for years, a reputation for designing awkwardly-located and awkwardly-operating dash/stalk controls by American standards and those of most other countries. My brother's old Renault 5 (LeCar) from 1979, for example, drove me up the wall with its quirks and controls whenever I drove it.

Ruksac

Follower
Reactions
I first rode in the Citroen back in the mid-80s. My dad told me not to laugh at it because underneath the awful exterior was an incredible ride. He showed me how the car raised and lowered and what that meant for the quality of the ride. I agreed that it was so smooth, but I begged him not to get one because all my friends would laugh at me when he dropped me off at school. The French should stick to designing clothes and not cars.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
If Lexus didn't exist, I'd probably be driving a Toyota Supra, Tundra or 4Runner. If I were to chose a luxury brand most likely I'd chose BMW...

Reactions
Hmm? After a brief deliberation, as follows:
Beamer X3 - If I decided to expand my budget
Lincoln MKC - If I stayed within budget & had to purchase/lease expeditiously
2016 Acura RDX - If I stayed within budget & could wait for the release...maybe

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Back in 1996 (egads) I remember seriously considering these rides new and used in no order..

Mitsubishi Diamante

Nice car.....solid as a tank, and, at the time, IMO, significantly underrated in the American market.

Mazda Millenia (would have been the car but the 2.5 was dog slow and the upgraded engine was out my price range)

You're probably already aware of this, but, if not, the FWD Millennia was originally developed as a potential Lexus ES competitor. It was to have been the first offering in North America of Mazda's then-proposed Amati luxury/upmarket division. Ford, however, who owned a controlling share of Mazda at the time, didn't quite see it that way, cancelled the Amati division, and, with no place else for the Millennia to go, it ended up being Mazda's new flagship sedan...replacing the RWD 929.

The Millennia, however, never sold well in the U.S. I test-drove one, but I can't remember if it had the standard engine or the Miller-Cycle one. A nice car, with the typically sharp Mazda handling/steering, but I didn't think the overall build quality was as solid as the Diamante's. The Millennia I drove, brand-new, had several creaks in the dash and body-structure, and the interior trim, IMO, didn't quite seem what it should have been for a flagship.

Last edited:

DoingDamage

Premium Member
Reactions
If I didn't own a Lexus, I would own ......

This is a hard one for me. Ever since i rode in a LS400 in 1990, Lexus has always been somewhat of my Dream car. I had the chance to get into an Infiniti or Acura, but ...... the love I had for Lexus was still there so I've been driving Lexuses (or is it Lexi?) since 06.

But, if I didn't own a Lexus, I would try and get a Porsche Panamera. I've heard they're reliable and Porsche owners love their cars. I've never driven one, but have driven Porsches before. The SUV would be the Cayenne.

What would be your choice?