Question: Lexus doesn't exist -- what are you driving instead?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Here's something I'm curious about -- let's pretend Lexus doesn't exist for a minute. What are you driving instead?

----

No question, this is what my wife and I would be sharing:

8510339205_3fe5a54fe2_b.jpg

After travelling to Japan and seeing the Vellfires and Alphards, it took all my energy not to get a Sienna instead of the CT 200h. It's in a completely different direction as the hybrid hatchback, but (obviously) this website plays a huge role in my decision making.

So that's what I'd be driving instead of a Lexus -- but I'd saving up for this:

TRD1-2.jpg

So, yeah, I'd still be in the Toyota family.

Brian

Founding Member
Reactions
I know I'd be driving an E28 M5. A very fun car!

p1021561431-2.jpg

RAL

Reactions
It would be a Toyota Highlander for my wife. We bought one in millennium gold in 2001, sent to the dealer for an appearance in a big car show at our downtown convention center. It never got there. The new crossover model had only just reached dealers weeks before. We drove it five years, 106,000 miles . . . without a single adjustment/repair. Perfect service out of a brand new model ... And I guess I would have to pray for Supra to finally return! . . . might as well live young! :cool: ... If no Lexus, only Toyota!

ACEtheOG

Founding Member
Reactions
I'd be firmly entrenched in camp MB with my lady. 100% certain my daily driver would be the C63AMG, it was the only other car I considered when making the decision to get the IS-F. Big car would likely be the E350 4Matic - this car feels huge compared to the GS.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I'd be firmly entrenched in camp MB with my lady. 100% certain my daily driver would be the C63AMG, it was the only other car I considered when making the decision to get the IS-F. Big car would likely be the E350 4Matic - this car feels huge compared to the GS.

Yeah, Mercedes would definitely be the luxury brand I followed -- the CLS, the new S-Class, pretty hard to beat in my opinion.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
For a combination of reliability, good finish, a good dealership experience and value, likely Acura. I just can't like the reliability of Audi/BMW/Mercedes and any other alternative starts to get priced out of my income bracket although the new jaguar may be neat.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Likely Toyota first, then Acura or Infiniti products. I would also seriously consider the new Genesis as it is one heck of a polished automobile. The domestics and Germans just don't do it for me.

NX "replacement":
RDX, Highlander Hybrid

IS "replacement":
Q50S, TLX, Genesis

mikeavelli

Reactions
Back in 1996 (egads) I remember seriously considering these rides new and used in no order..
Nissan Maxima SE
Acua TL
Mitsubishi Diamante
Mazda Millenia (would have been the car but the 2.5 was dog slow and the upgraded engine was out my price range)
Acura CL (the V-6 wasn't even out yet)
Acura GS-R 4 door
Used Q45 (still too pricy)
Lexus GS (too pricy)
Lexus ES

The Q45 seemed the most impressive to me then. Even back then the Acura's were nice but still felt too close to Honda's. My first car was a Nissan Sentra so the Maxima seemed like the sure thing, just wasn't in love with the exterior looks. I loved the Diamante in and out, both generations but that much coin for a Mitsu seemed crazy since it was the price of a ES. The Mazda was the same way but it felt worth the money and like an ES competitor more so than even the Acura's. I also loved the looks inside and out. I remember though driving the 2.5 V-6 and it was just so slow, broke my heart.

If there was no ES, I am thinking I would have likely stuck it out with the Mazda Millenia. However I would have quickly outgrown Mazda since I soon jumped to a SC 400 and then the GS 400 which was a game changer. If there was no Lexus then, I am certain I would have jumped to the 540i 6 speed manual. I was dreaming about that car until Lexus came with the GS. Since BMW would have gotten me around the year 2000 and looking at their product range over time I likely would be in a BMW unless something drastic happened (entirely plausible with BMW lol). I would likely have the new M5 now which was a contender before i got the LS F-Sport.

To me that is the best way to answer, looking back at the other cars I strongly considered at the time and if their product lineups would have evolved as I have since its pretty obvious I don't jump around from brand to brand lol.

Funny to think back in 1996 that Lexus ES 300 would literally change my life. Now here we are :)

Last edited:

Chase C.

Fan
Reactions
Probably a Tesla Model S as the Toyota family is not my cup of tea (maybe the Avalon or Highlander) but I will say I'm liking the new 2015 Camry I'm driving while the Model S is being produced. I was driving a 2013 Camry and I really disliked it, but with the 2015, it's a car I could definitely spend some time in.

bnizzle87

Fan
Reactions
It's funny because I initially saved up for a '97 MKIV Imperial Jade Mica Supra. That was THE car for me, and still sort of a unicorn experience everytime I see one on the roads (very rare to see that color). It would either be that or R32 Skyline, which I believe just became available, as it has passed the 25 year import timeframe and an Aston Martin Vanquish for those special times. Of course, I'll still have my daily, typically a Camry or Avalon, but seeing as how much more spacious these new Corollas are, that's not a bad option as a daily.

All of this is moot, as I can't see myself losing my IS F. You always hear of older folks who wish they didn't get rid of their rides for reasons specific to their lifestyle or time, but they always try to purchase that same model. I figure, it's paid off....no one can ever take it away from me- not even the wifey.

Reactions: RAL