Question: Lexus doesn't exist -- what are you driving instead?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I'd want Chrysler to bring back a modern, retro-styled Road Runner, just like Dodge did with the Scat-Pack Charger, Challenger, and Dart R/Ts and SRTs. I grew up with the original Road Runners in the late 60s and early 70s. Though they were poorly-built (except for engnes and automatic transmissions), rattled and squeaked like a can of marbles, and used cheap unimpressive materials, they were a lot of fun to drive as long as you used common sense and didn't do anything stupid behind the wheel, and I simply loved the cartoon bird-graphics and Beep-Beep horn.

mopp_0704_9_z%2B1969_plymouth_road_runner%2Bsteering_wheel.jpg

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Maybe another 911, but this time a coupe w/moonroof (vs cab).

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I should be honest and say it doesn't matter if Lexus existed or did not exist, I still have and will own them...

Realistically Mercedes is the more logical and practical choice, much like a Lexus based on my long term experiences.

mikeavelli

Reactions
If I didn't own a Lexus, I would own ......

This is a hard one for me. Ever since i rode in a LS400 in 1990, Lexus has always been somewhat of my Dream car. I had the chance to get into an Infiniti or Acura, but ...... the love I had for Lexus was still there so I've been driving Lexuses (or is it Lexi?) since 06.

But, if I didn't own a Lexus, I would try and get a Porsche Panamera. I've heard they're reliable and Porsche owners love their cars. I've never driven one, but have driven Porsches before. The SUV would be the Cayenne.

What would be your choice?

Hey great thread idea DoingDamage but we have an existing thread on the same premise below :)

I'm going to attempt to merge the threads. Thank you!

Reactions
20150608_175040 - Copy.jpg
Hmm? After a brief deliberation, as follows:
Beamer X3 - If I decided to expand my budget
Lincoln MKC - If I stayed within budget & had to purchase/lease expeditiously
2016 Acura RDX - If I stayed within budget & could wait for the release...maybe
This may have been more of a premonition than speculation. Lexus totally messed up inclusive of processing my special order so I jumped ship & got a Lincoln MKC. It all worked out for my good!

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Hey great thread idea DoingDamage but we have an existing thread on the same premise below :)

I'm going to attempt to merge the threads. Thank you!

Mike, I know you've done a lot of good reviews on a number of different vehicles :) (I've read them).......but, in most cases, even so, it would take a DARN good vehicle in your sight to get you out of a Lexus product as a daily-driver, right?

Reactions: CIF

mikeavelli

Reactions
Mike, I know you've done a lot of good reviews on a number of different vehicles :) (I've read them).......but, in most cases, even so, it would take a DARN good vehicle in your sight to get you out of a Lexus product as a daily-driver, right?

Well there are cases where Lexus doesn't make a vehicle in the same segment, thus I would have to expand my ownership horizons and that might just happen sooner than later.....

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
View attachment 552
This may have been more of a premonition than speculation. Lexus totally messed up inclusive of processing my special order so I jumped ship & got a Lincoln MKC. It all worked out for my good!

Congratulations!!! :) I think very highly of the MKC (did a full-review on one last year And I'm not just saying that just to be polite....... I would buy one myself if I were in the market for an SUV. Lincoln has made a lot of mistakes lately, but this vehicle sets them on the path to redemption.

I see you did the same thing I did to my Verano.....................stuck on a chrome strip down the sides to protect the doors from dinging. (looks like the same aftermarket strip I used, with the peel-off backing). It's a shame that these strips and mouldings are no longer standard on most new vehicles, though some offer them as accessories/options.

Nice pretty color, too.....although my favorite of the MKC colors, hands-down, is the purple Tahitian Pearl. Enjoy it...great purchase. :)

54d32ab72a24a.image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions
Congratulations!!! :) I think very highly of the MKC (did a full-review on one last year And I'm not just saying that just to be polite....... I would buy one myself if I were in the market for an SUV. Lincoln has made a lot of mistakes lately, but this vehicle sets them on the path to redemption.

I see you did the same thing I did to my Verano.....................stuck on a chrome strip down the sides to protect the doors from dinging. (looks like the same aftermarket strip I used, with the peel-off backing). It's a shame that these strips and mouldings are no longer standard on most new vehicles, though some offer them as accessories/options.

Nice pretty color, too.....although my favorite of the MKC colors, hands-down, is the purple Tahitian Pearl. Enjoy it...great purchase. :)

54d32ab72a24a.image.jpg
I appreciate and concur with your reply. Lincoln is making headway, I believe, to redemption. I think their strategy with some of the 2016 vehicles' marketing and information is doing them a disservice but hopefully not too the point of withholding progress. I accessorized my MKC quite a bit and did get the chrome body mold (surprisingly inexpensive). I tried very hard to get a Tahitian Pearl 1 (mostly because of the rarity) but without success ; however the Midnight Sapphire (my color) was very much on equal footing relative to my degree of liking the color. I am sooo happy with Shazaam! Thanks!

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I appreciate and concur with your reply. Lincoln is making headway, I believe, to redemption. I think their strategy with some of the 2016 vehicles' marketing and information is doing them a disservice but hopefully not too the point of withholding progress. I accessorized my MKC quite a bit and did get the chrome body mold (surprisingly inexpensive). I tried very hard to get a Tahitian Pearl 1 (mostly because of the rarity) but without success ; however the Midnight Sapphire (my color) was very much on equal footing relative to my degree of liking the color. I am sooo happy with Shazaam! Thanks!

I agree that the blue is also nice...so are the red and and gold (a true gold-color is hard to find, as a number of manufacturers tend to do a metallic tan or beige and CALL it gold). Have you had any problems with it, requiring a trip back to the dealer? I ask because some of the MKC's recent predecessors (not necessarily the MKC itself) have had teething problems, despite the fact that they were derived from existing Fords.

One of Lincoln's several problems in the past (which they have solved with the new MKC and 2016 MKX), were the big Smiley-Tooth grilles that, IMO, looked like a grinning teen-ager showing off a new set of braces. :D

lincoln_mkt_front_new.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions
I agree that the blue is also nice...so are the red and and gold (a true gold-color is hard to find, as a number of manufacturers tend to do a metallic tan or beige and CALL it gold). Have you had any problems with it, requiring a trip back to the dealer? I ask because some of the MKC's recent predecessors (not necessarily the MKC itself) have had teething problems, despite the fact that they were derived from existing Fords.

One of Lincoln's several problems in the past (which they have solved with the new MKC and 2016 MKX), were the big Smiley-Tooth grilles that, IMO, looked like a grinning teen-ager showing off a new set of braces. :D

lincoln_mkt_front_new.jpg
The blue (midnight sapphire) actually "pops" more than the tahitian pearl. I feel you on the karat gold. I liked it but I already have a vehicle that's a gold derivative plus for some reason Lincoln limited the packages for that color...only their corporate & God knows why. I've had no real/significant issues with Shazaam. Thank God! I did go to the dealer because I thought there were issues with the Vehicle Health Report System, the USB ports, and the Ambient lighting but it turned out they were non-issues with the MKC. I just took it in for my first warranty service (5K) last week and had the cooling seats tweaked during the service. Again, I'm loving this car!

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The blue (midnight sapphire) actually "pops" more than the tahitian pearl. I feel you on the karat gold. I liked it but I already have a vehicle that's a gold derivative plus for some reason Lincoln limited the packages for that color...only their corporate & God knows why. I've had no real/significant issues with Shazaam. Thank God! I did go to the dealer because I thought there were issues with the Vehicle Health Report System, the USB ports, and the Ambient lighting but it turned out they were non-issues with the MKC. I just took it in for my first warranty service (5K) last week and had the cooling seats tweaked during the service. Again, I'm loving this car!

Glad you enjoy it, and are having a good experience so far. :) That's just what Lincoln needs more of to help increase its appeal. It will be interesting to see how the new MKX, which is just staring to hit local D.C.-area dealerships now where I live, stacks unto the MKC as a follow-up.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Porsche... Without a doubt... Updated lol

Which one? They make everything from 50K Boxsters to 500K racing machines.

I definitely enjoyed driving the last Boxster I reviewed. It combined better-than-Miata roadster refinement with one of the most perfectly balanced chassis (and neutral handling) I've ever experienced, although being a convertible, it had maybe slightly more body-flex than a similar hardtop Cayman would have.