Owner's Review-- 2008 Lexus IS250

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
btw - Brook2IS (or others IS, GS owners maybe), with your higher mileage experience with the 2008 IS250, did you ever have to replace a windshield? If so how much did it run?

I have a creeping crack in my windshield outside of field of driver's vision, but I will eventually replace windshield. ($1000 deductibles, I haven't made an insurance claim for 2 decades, so insurance scenario not applicable).

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I have a creeping crack in my windshield outside of field of driver's vision, but I will eventually replace windshield. ($1000 deductibles, I haven't made an insurance claim for 2 decades, so insurance scenario not applicable).

Safelite Auto Glass generally has a good reputation, and they can even come to your home or office and do it there. Might want to get an estimate from them.

https://www.safelite.com

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
^ Yes thanks, we know all that and also know good glass places locally in Silicon Valley.

The question is the approximate cost (US $'s) of the ISx50 windshield, or similar vehicle based on actual experience in last decade or so.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
^ Yes thanks, we know all that and also know good glass places locally in Silicon Valley.

The question is the approximate cost (US $'s) of the ISx50 windshield, or similar vehicle based on actual experience in last decade or so.

That will probably depend on whether you want a Lexus-original windshield or one from an aftermarket supplier. Official factory parts may cost more, but often fit better.

Anyhow, good luck. Hope you get a good repair. :)

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
That will probably depend on whether you want a Lexus-original windshield or one from an aftermarket supplier. Official factory parts may cost more, but often fit better.

Anyhow, good luck. Hope you get a good repair. :)

Yes, thanks, and we know all that too.

What we don't know (still) is the approximate cost paid by one of our knowledgeable Lexus Enthusiasts/owners. TBD :expressionless:

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
btw - Brook2IS (or others IS, GS owners maybe), with your higher mileage experience with the 2008 IS250, did you ever have to replace a windshield? If so how much did it run?

Good question. My windshield doesn't have any cracks, but I do have a few patches courtesy of safelight. I need to look into getting a new windshield as well. Sorry I could not help in this instance!

RAL

Reactions
Traveling highways almost exclusively ... have been the victim of pebble-bullets shot off of dump trucks. Over the years our insurance has replaced several windshields at no cost and no deductible. I understand it is the law (maybe only in Kentucky). It does count as a claim though and you don't get a 'Lexus' replacement windshield, which hasn't been a problem so far. I wonder if the insurance company would allow me to pay the difference for a 'Lexus' windshield and how much that difference might be ...

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I wish, unfortunately no such law in CA. Maybe some other states besides Kentucky have something like it?

Reactions
Hi, new to the forum, and this post caught my eye, even though from 2016. So, we have same exact car, 2008 IS250 Base. Almost same details as the OP, we bought it used in 2012 with 51k miles. We planned on another Accord, but saw this on their lot - it is Matador Red with Almond leather. So, I was concerned that the factory warranty was out at 50k, & after research, we negotiated a deal. Of course, the warranty was good thru 70k, and we needed it ! I will say that I agree with most all the review. Fun to drive, cramped rear seat, nice gauges and interior. But..... after registering with Lexus.com, we received a recall with the TSB for carbon buildup ! What the heck, I thought; this is supposed to be nicest car we have ever owned. My wife drove it mostly, and she had not noticed any issues, besides some hesitation, so I postponed taking it in. At 65k, it failed the diagnostics, Lexus did the complete top end rebuild of piston/rings/valves, etc. We did pay $250 extra for water pump R&R, although it was not leaking. BTW, I had installed new spark plugs myself at 55k, so the mechanic said no need for those. Anyway, my service rep says if we ever had same issue again, to just bring it back. I asked for that in writing ----- they said no, but the TSB was good for 9 years from in service date/unlimited miles. This was in 2014; fast forward to this year : same hesitation occurring again. Went back to same Lexus dealer. They informed me that once the TSB is done, then Lexus is no longer liable. They also explained we had not returned for injector flush/cleaning every 15k for $200. What ???? Yea, I now know alot about direct injection; we use premium, synthetic oil, and I go WOT every time I drive it; once a week or so. I recently installed new plugs again, too. So we have a nice used Lexus at 120k, that I will drive into the ground and keep maintained as best as possible. I have used Seafoam, but what about installing a catch can ? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. (probably trade it in another Honda one day :)

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I sold my 07 IS 350 Sport in late 2017, it had been a great car. Only unexpected repair later was the water pump.
Brooks21S-Do you still have your IS250?

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
I sold my 07 IS 350 Sport in late 2017, it had been a great car. Only unexpected repair later was the water pump.
Brooks21S-Do you still have your IS250?
Unfortunately it was totaled out in 2017.

• Sad
Reactions: RAL