Owner's Review-- 2008 Lexus IS250

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
Inspired by @mikeavelli's recent review of the 2015 RX350 F-Sport, I felt encouraged to do the same with my own Lexus, a 2008 IS250 Rear Wheel Drive with the 6-Speed Automatic.
DSC01153.jpeg
I picked up the car on October 31, 2012 with 55,026 miles. Today we have just north of 112,000 miles.

I hope that this review will prove to be somewhat helpful to those in the market for a second generation IS. They're quite a good value and a good buy on the used market as the IS combines an enjoyable drive with the typical Lexus accoutrements: luxury, refinement, and reliability.

The second generation IS, along with the third generation GS, ushered in a new era of design in the Lexus brand: the famed L-Finesse design philosophy. More than ten years after its introduction, I don't think I'm alone in saying the IS still looks sharp. Many people don't even realize this car is that old already.

My IS is finished in Obsidian, which looks great when clean. Unfortunately almost nine years of highway commuting has taken a toll on the front end, which is sprinkled with rock chips. Only cosmetic, I know... If I buy new, I think I'll stick to Silver Lining or Nebula.

The view from the rear has to be the car's best look in my opinion. I love the character line running the length of the car into the tail lights, effectively creating a shelf for the mirrors to sit on.

DSC01156.jpeg

I really like the small updates Lexus did on the 2009 and consecutive model years with the IS. Namely, the turn indicators in the mirrors which help break up a vast stretch of black, and the LED tail lights. Got to love the LED runners a few of them had as well! Specific to the 2008 model year were these dark grey finished wheels-- same design and size as the 2006 & 2007's, just a different color. The 2006's didn't have the shark fin antenna, either. My car has the accessory lip spoiler. I love the dual exhaust. You can tell Lexus models older than 2011, as the 2006-2010 IS has Lexus spelled out on the trunk.

DSC01154.jpeg

Speaking of the wheels, I'm running my second set of Toyo Proxes 4 Plus All Seasons on the car. The original owner sold it to me with Bridgestone Potenza's which were truly awful. Incredibly loud, hard, and genuinely uncomfortable. The Toyo's have been a great value and maintain good handling while offering much less road noise. I got about 38k out of the first set of Toyo's. Pretty good, considering you can't rotate the darn tires. I know, I know, this a Rear Wheel Drive compact sports sedan. But really? Staggered tires? Silly in my opinion, especially on the 250. This is no ISF. Just a ploy for me to buy more tires!

In terms of maintenance with the car, it's been pretty typical except for three bumps in the road. I get the oil changed every 5k miles at Butler Lexus, which rings in at $56 a pop. 60k is a rather large and pricey service as it includes spark plugs, which I'll have to do again at 120k. I've done the typical brake jobs etc for general expected maintenance. However, I did not expect the water pump to blow at 75k miles, to the tune of $800 at the dealer. Again, I didn't expect the catalytic converter to go out at 104k, for a hefty $2200 at the dealer. Additionally, I've had to replace each HID at $250 a piece... Nope, Autozone won't touch these lights, you must go to the dealer.

DSC01176.jpeg

That being said, I have to say that Lexus did a phenomenal job with lighting on the IS, especially for the era in which this car was designed. LED map lights on a 2008? Love it! The devil is in the details. A fewer new Lexuses went back to incandescents. LED illumination in the footwells, LED plate lights... All standard! I really love the exterior puddle lamps that illuminate as you approach the key fob. It's as if you're being welcomed home. Similarly, when you hit the Window Lock switch, all window switches go blank, save for the driver's. Features like these make you realize Lexus truly does not cut corners. Additionally, 2006-2008 model IS's have this "VW style" sunroof dial, versus the newer rocker style switch. Even the roof mounted handles are over engineered, with two hinges versus the typical one hinge.

The interior has stood the test of time in my opinion. Yes, that one line radio display is a bit outdated, but the rest of the interior looks as fresh today as it did in 2006. I must say that I love the amount of standard equipment on these cars-- no nickel and diming here. I have a completely base model car with the optional automatic, yet I still have real (and supple!) leather seats, smart key with push button start, Homelink, 10 way power adjustments, AUX/XM/6 CD Changer, dual zone climate, sunroof, auto headlights, all auto windows, etc. It's really quite a deal. Personally I favor this plastic trim in my car versus the heavy woodgrain of upgraded models, but to each his own. The memory and heated/cooled seats would be nice! I have the standard 13 speaker Lexus Premium Audio system. Optional was the 14 speaker ML unit, and I haven't felt the need to improve the standard unit. It gets the job done quite well. (But I'm by no means an audiophile)

Front seat passengers get these nifty fold out pockets with cutouts for bottles. They're padded, no less!

I have not had any issues with the dash coming off in chunks so to speak, but Lexus is currently replacing dash boards under a recall if yours is.

DSC01169.jpeg
No surprise here, the rear seat is not meant for people hauling. I've had four people in here maybe two or three times. It's quite a squeeze. I do have WeatherTech floor liners. The 2008 was the first model to receive the revised front seat backs which carved out a tad more leg room for the rear seats.

Interior space is adequate. I'm six foot three, and I sit in line with the B-Pillar. Any taller and it won't be comfortable. I have about a half inch to an inch of head room with the seat on the floor, but at least the headliner is a very soft suede material when you do touch it. I should mention that all pillars are wrapped in the same material, and the seat belts are adjustable. Not so on some competitors. The steering wheel tilts and telescopes, but I'd like for it to come out about an inch more. Adjustments are manual on my model.

Storage spaces are pretty good, overall.
DSC01185.jpeg
The center console is rather small, and is mostly taken up by the second cupholder--stupid design. There's a power outlet, AUX port (USB too on 2009+ models), and enough storage for a fist sized amount of objects. Look at that seat stitching! The lid slides back then lifts up. Padding has mostly recessed on my leather wrapped and stitched armrest. I really dislike the second cupholder in the console...
At least the silly rear cup holder is LED illuminated :)

The glove box is opened in a push button style with dual latches, and there's plenty of storage for all the manuals and service records, my Garmin, and some Ray Ban cases. It's lockable, too.

DSC01166.jpeg
I'm a sucker for well executed trunk spaces. Lexus does well in this regard- I still have the OEM First Aid Kit. The trunk is illuminated and the entire trunk is covered in felt material. The hinge arms retract into covered areas so they don't crush any cargo. There is a pretty useless ski pass-thru, but the trunk overall is a rather large and usable space for the class. Heck, I moved into my freshman dorm with this trunk! Its 13 cubic feet.

The 2008 was the first model with a coin holder to the left of the steering wheel-- I added a second on one of the dummy plates. I wish Lexus would still include this useful storage solution.

I believe the IS got either a 4 or 5 star rating in all crash tests back in 2006. For the age, there are more safety features than expected, like knee airbags. Radar Cruise was a (rare) option. Of course traction and stability control are present. Expected features today, not so a decade ago.

DSC01186.jpeg
In typical Lexus fashion, the gauges are beautiful.

DSC01165.jpeg

Here--somewhere under the plastic-- is the 2.5 liter V6, recently phased out in favor of the 2.0T. I really like this little engine. Its peppy, fuel efficient, and very smooth. I typically average 28 MPG in mixed driving. I've seen 33 on an all highway tank.... 17.1 gallon tank filled up on Premium. She pushes 204 HP and 185 ft-lbs of torque. I have a lot of fun driving this car-- just enough that I don't get in trouble. Acceleration is more than adequate and can leave you smiling, as can the just right handling. Its not BMW tight, but its not silly loose either. Just right! The 6 speed automatic is a great transmission, and standard paddle shifters are a welcome addition. RWD is a plus, of course! Out on the highway, the IS feels very planted and passes with ease. She loves to cruise at 75-80 mph.

As a whole, I would buy the second generation IS over and over again. I feel as if its just right in every scenario--the Goldilocks of the segment, if you will. Comfortable yet sporty, feature-laden yet reliable, stylish yet conservative. The few maintenance issues were annoying, but it is what it is. I've enjoyed every trip with the car (including one to Connecticut and back!), and I'm looking forward to the miles ahead. For the price on today's used car market, its hard to beat the well-rounded package that the second generation IS is especially when compared to similarly priced used cars. I hope this write-up helps at least one of you. Please feel free to comment down below if you have any questions, or check out the many videos I have pertaining to IS250 ownership on my YouTube channel. www.youtube.com/c/brorowcarwiz

DSC01195.jpeg

I'm truly lucky and thankful to have this car, and I love being a part of the Lexus community.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Wow that was very well done and will be very useful for those looking at picking up this generation IS.

Very good point about how good the lighting is, a point most reviewers would not even bring up.

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
Wow that was very well done and will be very useful for those looking at picking up this generation IS.

Very good point about how good the lighting is, a point most reviewers would not even bring up.

Thanks Mike! I find it funny that many luxury cars still have standard halogen headlights and incandescent interior illumination. Lexus has been past that for more than a decade!

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
Great, and very thorough review! Although I can definitely see how the staggered wheels/tires are necessary on a 250, I think they add to the overall stance quite a bit. The RWD 2IS always looks better to me than the AWD for this reason.

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
@oem_is300 Thank you!

@IS-SV Thanks! Out of curiosity, how's your avg MPG with the 350? I know the extra 100ish hp is a lot more fun, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the 250's fuel economy.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
B
@oem_is300 Thank you!

@IS-SV Thanks! Out of curiosity, how's your avg MPG with the 350? I know the extra 100ish hp is a lot more fun, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the 250's fuel economy.

Brooks2IS - My MPG is about 20 in the city and 27-28 on the freeway. Our traffic is pretty heavy in town and my foot heavy. In northern CA it's common to cruise at 75-80+ mph on the freeways, but freeway mileage is still reasonable at those elevated speeds.

Couple other observations on the IS350 (at 53K miles so far):

. Mine is a sport package like yours with the silver trim and sport pedals, I intentionally preferred/sought that package.

. Only non-routine repairs were brake light switch (at year 6 of ownership) and battery (over 8 years old).

. I don't care for the front seats much, no comparison to Mercedes or Porsche seats in terms of comfort, support, bolstering, etc.

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
B

Brooks2IS - My MPG is about 20 in the city and 27-28 on the freeway. Our traffic is pretty heavy in town and my foot heavy. In northern CA it's common to cruise at 75-80+ mph on the freeways, but freeway mileage is still reasonable at those elevated speeds.

Couple other observations on the IS350 (at 53K miles so far):

. Mine is a sport package like yours with the silver trim and sport pedals, I intentionally preferred/sought that package.

. Only non-routine repairs were brake light switch (at year 6 of ownership) and battery (over 8 years old).

. I don't care for the front seats much, no comparison to Mercedes or Porsche seats in terms of comfort, support, bolstering, etc.

Interesting you mention the seats- I love them! But, different body types etc and different opinions. Historically Lexus has had some of the most comfortable seats in the business in my opinion. The ones in our GX470 were like thrones!

Reactions: RAL

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Interesting you mention the seats- I love them! But, different body types etc and different opinions. Historically Lexus has had some of the most comfortable seats in the business in my opinion. The ones in our GX470 were like thrones!

Yes, being 5'9'' and slim, that has a lot to do with how seats fit me. Porsche and Mercedes sports seats tend to fit me like a glove. The new gen IS and RC F-sport seats fit me very well too.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Few other misc. notes on my gen2 IS350 sport pkg (2007):

. Steering feel is just okay, more recent Lexus, Benz, Porsche products I've owned and/or driven are better in that department.
(19's front with good 35 series summer tires helps steering feel some)
. Springs are Eibach350's (similar if not the same as F-Sport springs), approx. 1" lower with slightly improved handling and minor ride deterioration.
. Yes, the non-ML audio system is very good.
. Yes, the way Lexus finished/detailed inside of trunk is outstanding. I have the Lexus first aid kit because it looks right back there.
. I went with Lexus replacement battery with Lexus logo since it's exposed (battery does not have a cover like some premium cars)
. The Bluetooth connectivity with recent iPhones is excellent (currently 6s), less finicky than some later model cars
. I've never had one light bulb burn out so far, amazing.
. Paddle shifters work great for mountain driving, I use them frequently in those hilly conditions only.
. Lexus F-Sport exhaust is worth every penny, sounds like a Masi Ghibli when revved (no surprise since they are both high-revving 60 degree V6's)
. Low dust Lexus front pads work great (free under warranty w/TSB mentioned), just a touch noisy sometimes for first few seconds in morning, no prob.
. Yes, Moonroof operation/controls are excellent.
. I like the sunglasses holder in Lexus and Toyota cars, for Raybans.
. Oil changes are always Mobil1 synth. once per year only (annual mileage about 4K - 7K)

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
side pk.JPG

Took old IS350 out today on local mountain roads for 45 minutes with moonroof open in 65ish degree (F) sunny weather, followed by JambaJuice run. Enjoyed it more because I hadn't driven it for over a week. Inspired by Brooks2IS report I guess...

RAL

Reactions
View attachment 1299

Took old IS350 out today on local mountain roads for 45 minutes with moonroof open in 65ish degree (F) sunny weather, followed by JambaJuice run. Enjoyed it more because I hadn't driven it for over a week. Inspired by Brooks2IS report I guess...
It's a beauty! Love those Vossen(?) wheels!

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
@IS-SV She's beautiful!! Love the wheels. Love your point about the battery-- Unfortunately I was hours from a Lexus dealer when I had to break down and buy one. Toyota logo will have to suffice...

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Brooks2IS, thanks!

Yes, my battery tested okay at last oil change, but soon after had subtle quirks suggesting nearing end of life that I detected at around 8.5 years old.

So I made the educated decision to just replace it at my favorite Lexus dealership. Made appointment on short notice with my SA for 7am, they replaced it in 1 hour while I waited. Got my Lexus logo replacement battery before it died in my garage thankfully. Lol, that's my battery story.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Sorry I'm a little late to the party, Brooks....just seeing your write-up now. Nice review. I had a 1Gen IS300 myself, for almost 5 years.

I agree with you on the 2.5L V6 vs. the 2.0L turbo 4...the 2.0L may give you more of a kick in the pants, but the V6 is more refined. Generally with me, the more refined, the better...I am not a big speed freak.

I also agree with you that Bridgestone Potenza tires are not first-class by any means. My IS had Potenza RE92 all-seasons with the softer-riding 55-series 16" option (lower-profile 17"s summer-only tires were standard on the 1Gen IS). The all-season Potenzas performed reasonably well in day-do-day driving I did (except on really slippery roads in the winter, where the RWD just didn't cut it, even with traction control and snow-mode for the transmission). But, like some other tires I've owned, they tend to get noisier with age...especially if feather-wear gets started on the edges. It's very difficult to prevent that feather-wear, even with good alignments and maintaining proper PSIs.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Brooks2IS, thanks!

Yes, my battery tested okay at last oil change, but soon after had subtle quirks suggesting nearing end of life that I detected at around 8.5 years old.

Getting more than 8 years out of a standard new-car battery is pretty good. 3 to 7 years is the usual range on most cars, although, of course, much depends on driving and idling conditions.

I can remember when the Sears Die-Hard and Exide Go-Power batteries had a warranty the lifetime of the car (I used Exide batteries in the first few used cars I owned, as I could not afford new cars for a while until I got settled in my career). Then the warranty got cut back to twenty years, then ten years (many people, of course, don't keep a car that long, or the car itself wears out), then pro-rated, then down to what it is today.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Brook2IS - Did you get the "dash pad" replaced (under warranty enhancement active through May 2017)? My IS350 dash is getting sticky, so I'm thinking of having it diagnosed/replacement scheduled during the summer service visit.

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
Brook2IS - Did you get the "dash pad" replaced (under warranty enhancement active through May 2017)? My IS350 dash is getting sticky, so I'm thinking of having it diagnosed/replacement scheduled during the summer service visit.

I have my 115k service scheduled for this Saturday, I guess I will inquire about the dash replacement while I'm at it- needs to be done!