Official Toyota & Lexus Future Powertrain/Product Discussion

Discussion in 'Lexus Lounge' started by ssun30, Feb 26, 2018.

1. MKIVCrybaby
    Per TacomaWorld,
    one user states a conversation with TRD team racing tundra. He was then told a turbo diesel + hybrid combination for the next generation. I have my doubts but that would explain the "rumored" +30 MPG and towing capacity.
    The only way this will work if Toyota states that this fuel accepts B20 or higher (most likely higher than B20 for emissions standards.)

flexus likes this.
  2. mikeavelli
    mikeavelli Staff Member Moderator
    I pray a blitz of new engines comes soon with some power....its pretty tough to argue for the current engines now in comparison to the competition sans reliability.

GNS, carguy420, Trexus and 1 other person like this.
  3. carguy420
    Agree. Here's me hoping that Toyota will eventually have some LIT hot hatchbacks/sport compacts.

MichaelL and internalaudit like this.
  4. internalaudit
    Maybe Toyota will team up with Panasonic on the BEV battery front. :) Woo hoo!

flexus likes this.
  5. Joaquin Ruhi
    Joaquin Ruhi Staff Member Moderator
    I think that's a given for anything BEV involving Toyota, at least outside of China.

carguy420, flexus and internalaudit like this.
  6. internalaudit
    I sure hope so. I'm so desperate to get into a BEV but too bad the UX is going to be the first Lexus BEV. Hoping the IS and NX will eventually too. Audi's Q4 e-tron looks very appealing but I know the reliability / quality in Toyota vehicles.

flexus and Joaquin Ruhi like this.
  7. Ian Schmidt
    Ian Schmidt Staff Member Moderator
    That seems actually likely after this morning's announcement that Panasonic has stopped putting additional money into their Tesla joint venture. They won't finish the Nevada Gigafactory and they won't even start on one in China.

8. carguy420
  9. flexus
  10. flexus
    @ssun30 @shizhi do you have any about this. Can't find any info in Japanese and European media. I tried searching C-HR 電動車 (of course with simplified characters) and found only Chinese version of the press release.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    F1 Silver Arrows likes this.
  11. shizhi
    no more info in Chinese media. I think we will get more info at Guangzhou Motor Show, this year late…

12. Gecko
    Gecko Staff Member Administrator
    Front looks quite pissed off!

F1 Silver Arrows likes this.
  13. internalaudit
    This is a really great announcement. I will likely stop considering Audi, VW, BMW and likely even Infiniti/Nissan BEVs and will just wait for a longer range Lexus BEV or two cheaper Toyota BEVs haha.

ssun30, F1 Silver Arrows and flexus like this.
  14. spwolf
    I think he was already telling us about this before... it has panasonic batteries, and obviously Toyota and Panasonic have been working on batteries for a very long time now, they even started a new company that transferred everything except Tesla batteries under it.

internalaudit likes this.
  15. MOBLIN
    Do other automakers use dual injection? I mean, what about Subaru and Mazda? I was thinking most DI engines were strictly DI and didn't have port injection at all... If that is the case, aren't most DI engines a "red flag" by your criteria?

16. Joaquin Ruhi
    Joaquin Ruhi Staff Member Moderator
    You are correct. Most engines are either direct-injection only or port-injection only. Besides Toyota/Lexus, the only major carmakers to combine both types of injection are Audi and Ford. Arguably the best article I've read on the subject (including a specific list of dual injection engines) is this one by Car and Driver:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...-engines-have-both-port-and-direct-injection/

Keep in mind, though, that it dates back to mid-2017, so other carmakers may have since joined the "dual-injection club". I could be wrong, but I think newer iterations of the Porsche 911 flat-6 might be dual-injected as well.

GNS, MOBLIN and internalaudit like this.
  17. flexus
    That's common knowledge. Mystery is battery size, number of motors, range and power.

internalaudit, carguy420 and Trexus like this.
  18. MOBLIN
    Awesome, thanks for clarifying! Great article, too.

Joaquin Ruhi likes this.
  19. spwolf
    engines that use only DI have been vulnerable to carbon deposits, and it is a real issue you will find in their forums.

internalaudit and Joaquin Ruhi like this.
  20. spwolf
    New Highlander Hybrid gets a 240hp version of "300h" powertrain vs 219hp for AWD Rav4 and 215hp for Avalon Hybrid.
    Considering that Avalon already has 39hp battery output, I doubt the difference of 25hp is all due to the increased battery output? But it might be.

TheNerdyPotato likes this.