Official: BMW Z4 Concept Car Teasers Revealed

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Geeze they are all prototype reviews lol....

When does this actually debut?

Not too much longer.

BMW Z4 confirmed for Pebble Beach reveal

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2019-bmw-z4-prices-specs-details

BMW has confirmed that it will reveal the next Z4 at Pebble Beach in August before its specifications are announced at the Paris motor show the month after.

The upcoming Z4 model, which is expected to go on sale in March 2019, has been caught on camera testing for more than a year. The latest sighting showed the car wearing production-spec bodywork covered by light camouflage. It sits on smaller-diameter wheels than earlier spotted cars, suggesting it's a lower-spec model.

An earlier video (see below) showed the car cornering at pace. It was also wearing winglets on its nose, suggesting that BMW was assessing the car's performance when under load.

Powering the new Z4 will be a choice of BMW's latest turbocharged petrol engines. The Z4 sDrive30i will get a turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder that produces about 248bhp, while more powerful variants will get a turbocharged 3.0-litre six-cylinder unit that's shared with the M240i, producing about 350bhp.

Both engines will come with standard rear-wheel drive and a ZF eight-speed automatic gearbox.

The Z4 shares parts with the upcoming Toyota Supra and is similarly expected to be offered with a hybrid drivetrain. Such a drivetrain would likely come with four-wheel drive.

BMW's decision to equip the Z4 with the same rear axle as the M3 and M4 suggests its hardware will be compatible with the 425bhp twin-turbo 3.0-litre straight six-engine of those models or the 365bhp turbocharged 3.0-litre six-cylinder powerplant from the M2, along with a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox.

This car would be badged as an M model and therefore will get bespoke bodywork and a more focused chassis set-up.

BMW announced the future Z4's arrival back in 2015 and revealed a concept version to preview its design last year.

The car's relation to the Supra is part of Toyota and BMW's decision to co-develop a new sports car platform.

While the Z4 will be a convertible, Toyota's new car will be a spiritual successor to the original Supra and as such will wear a hard top, as shown by spotted development cars.

Inspiration for the new Supra's design has been taken from the striking FT-1 concept, first seen at the Detroit motor show in 2014.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/06/stop-guessing-new-bmw-z4-will-look-like/

BMW-Z4-2019-1.jpg

BMW-Z4-2019-2.jpg

BMW-Z4-2019-3.jpg

BMW-Z4-2019-4.jpg

BMW-Z4-2019-5.jpg

BMW-Z4-2019-7.jpg

supra93

Expert
Reactions
BMW Makes Thinly Veiled Announcement of All-New Z4 Debut at Monterey

https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1519171

Woodcliff Lake, N.J. – July 25, 2018… BMW is pleased to invite all accredited media to a press conference for the World Premiere of an all-new BMW production car on Thursday August 23rd at 10:15 am at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance Reviewing Stand on the 18th green of The Lodge at Pebble Beach Golf Course. At the press conference, BMW will also present the North American Premiere of the all new BMW M850i Coupe and the North American Premiere of the highly acclaimed BMW Concept M8 Gran Coupe first shown at the Geneva Auto Show in May 2018. Speakers will include Bernhard Kuhnt, President & CEO BMW of North America and BMW Design Head Jozef Kaban.

The identity of the World Premiere model will be revealed closer to the time of the press conference. Suffice it to say that this new model will certainly be an emotional addition to the BMW range.

This time last year BMW presented the Concept 8 Series Coupe on the Concept Lawn at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance – a preview of a forthcoming BMW model line. This year BMW reveals the first production model of the 8 Series: The 2019 BMW M850i. In addition, BMW will present yet another new concept car which again previews a future BMW 8 Series model: The BMW Concept M8 Gran Coupe.

“The BMW 8 Series will take over as the new flagship model of the BMW line-up and, as such, combines unsurpassed sportiness and elegance,” says Adrian van Hooydonk, Senior Vice President BMW Group Design. “The BMW Concept M8 Gran Coupe offers a look ahead to the most exotic and alluring variant of the new BMW 8 Series.”

The BMW Concept M8 Gran Coupe is more than simply a luxury sports car with four doors. It symbolizes a new and unique understanding of luxury. “The BMW Concept M8 Gran Coupe is designed to stir things up, to polarize – it should move you emotionally,” explains Domagoj Dukec, Vice President Design BMW M and BMW i. “With this car we want to reach people who are looking for something special and who want to stand out from the crowd. Here, BMW M is unmistakably taking luxury out of its comfort zone.” Like the BMW Concept 8 Series before it, the BMW Concept M8 Gran Coupe shows off BMW’s new design language, headlined by expressive surfacing that accentuates the car’s dynamism more vividly than before through its bodywork. A small number of precise character lines underline the graphic arrangement of the surfaces.

The striking exterior of the BMW Concept M8 Gran Coupe combines the core values of BMW M with elegance and luxury to create a new and captivating form, and reveals a new and exciting facet of BMW M. The new model sees the BMW Group looking ahead to the BMW 8 Series Gran Coupe and BMW M8 Gran Coupe, which will be presented during the course of 2019 and round off the BMW 8 Series family.

BMW will again participate in the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion this year with a number of race cars that celebrate The Ultimate Driving Machine.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Interior is a little basic for me, but overall, I really like it.

Reactions
382hp and 369lb-ft.... please let that go into the Supra, too.

Guys in the SupraMkV forum have been expecting that number. I personally believe the Supra will touch or get close to the 400 horsepower mark. The thing is, rumors were that there were a couple of agreements between the two parties. One part was that BMW will reveal their car first? But maybe the Supra can push a little more power, have more tech, better handling (lesser weight obviously), chassis, and a performance model as well. If it doesn't unfold that way, 382 horsepower is still a lot for the base model of the Supra. Something in me thinks that Toyota will also get a less powerful six cylinder model other than the four cylinder for European markets but we will see.

The exciting car that we will be waiting for is the CGI block inline-six engine. It should be way lighter than a traditional iron block engine, while being much tougher at the same time. That will be the engine that will allow us to push gobs of power in the aftermarket scene. Almost like a 3JZ. ;)

mikeavelli

Reactions
Once you can tune this engine on Toyota's side all will be well. But seems the engine is less tunable already.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Watch the New BMW Z4 Run a 7:55 Lap of the Nurburgring

In testing by German magazine Sport Auto, the new Z4 laps the famous Nordschleife quicker than a BMW M2.

In a world where sub-seven-minute Nürburgring Nordschleife lap times are shockingly common, a 7:55.41 run seems at first like it wouldn't be newsworthy. That's what the 2019 BMW Z4 M40i did when tested by Germany's Sport Auto magazine, and you know what? We think it's worth talking about.

The raft of cars that have lapped the 'Ring below the seven-minute mark skews our perspective as enthusiasts. Going under eight minutes is still damn impressive, especially for a sporty roadster—not a full-on, mega-powerful M car. Consider, too, that the beloved BMW M2 ran a 7:58 when it was launched in 2015. This seems like considerable progress, at least to us.

And just for fun, I'd like to point out that the new Z4 lapped the 'Ring quicker than the original Porsche 911 GT3, which, in 1999, was the first road car to break the eight-minute barrier, notching a 7:56 in the hands of racing legend Walter Röhrl. Yes, that was nearly 20 years ago, but it's still a testament to the remarkable progress made in the performance-car world. The 996 GT3 was a road-going race car; the Z4 is a luxury drop-top. The fact that they run neck-and-neck on the most challenging track on earth is impressive.

Watching onboard footage of the lap, with Sport Auto journalist Christian Gebhardt at the wheel, we can't wait to have a go in the Z4 ourselves. And have we told you that it shares a platform with the upcoming Toyota Supra?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a23099489/2019-bmw-z4-m40i-nurburgring-lap-time/

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I like it. Just weird to me to see a BMW with a mesh grill :D

It looks like the grill has zits or something, especially the version with the chromed grill (the all-black one is better but still a little weird).