Official 8th Generation (2018+) 010B Camry Discussion

Levi

Expert
Reactions
With the direction the car market has gone, now the cancellation of Mazda 6 Sedan, the Toyota Camry will go from boring appliance car to exiting niche market emotional sedan. Will turn out the be an enthusiast's car.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
With the direction the car market has gone, now the cancellation of Mazda 6 Sedan, the Toyota Camry will go from boring appliance car to exiting niche market emotional sedan. Will turn out the be an enthusiast's car.
Is this something in the cards or a giant bunch of wishes? Competition tumbles just stagnates product development cycles.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

it will become more cookie cutter than ever, because it has to appeal to wider audiences with lower volume... thankfully, China will save it.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
The Toyota Camry and the Honda Accord are the only sedans still available. No other mid-size sedans sell and if those were cancelled tomorrow, they would not be missed.

Despite being the enthusiast's choice, the Mazda 6 just does not sell and has not sold in years. The Nissan Altima does not sell either. Neither does the Hyundai Sonata (not since the model change 3 years ago, although I seem to be seeing more of it recently -- maybe Hyundai is offering great incentives to sell them).

Here in Southern Ontario, Canada, the Camry SE and the XSE with the black roof option seem to sell more than the (boring) LE trim level.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I did not mean the Camry changing itself. I mean it becoming interesting because everything else is so much less interesting, and this type of body is becoming a rarity. At least my opinion.

mikeavelli

Reactions
It’s still amazing to me that every time I see a Camry I think “I can’t believe that’s a Camry”. And even the accord to me makes ACuRa seem irrelevant it’s that good.
Crazy they have pretty much zero competition. Also crazy the Accord has plummeted on sales and the Camry vastly outsells it. They used to go toe to toe.

Reactions
It’s still amazing to me that every time I see a Camry I think “I can’t believe that’s a Camry”. And even the accord to me makes ACuRa seem irrelevant it’s that good.
Crazy they have pretty much zero competition. Also crazy the Accord has plummeted on sales and the Camry vastly outsells it. They used to go toe to toe.
From what I see now, the availability of the Camry outshines the competition. I had to help a friend shop for a Sonata, you used to be able to find a bunch of the mid level SELs at given dealer; these days as I look online, its mostly the upper trims or the base models. Everyone has had to cut production of their sedans and allocated production at their facilities (at least in the US) to their crossovers instead; but Toyota still has the most capacity to build and sustain a bigger sedan volume over everyone else. Crossovers are killing sedan sales, but the Camry is still going to be the last sedan standing. Even then, many Camry buyers are still having to order them just because of the state of the market.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The Camry reviews really well, mostly because Toyota kept the V6 and Honda didn't. And reviewers care a lot about that stuff.
The added torque from the turbocharged T24A plus eventual hybrid, will continue making the car quite performing, and thus acceptable.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Looks like both brands got uneven in terms of compact and midsize sales.. Civic started outselling the Corolla while opposite for Camry and Accord.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Looks like both brands got uneven in terms of compact and midsize sales.. Civic started outselling the Corolla while opposite for Camry and Accord.
The civic interior is just other worldly in terms of design for the class. Corolla interior does zero favors.

Last edited:
Reactions
The civic interior is just other weirdly in terms of design for the class. Corolla interior does zero favors.
The new Civic interior is much more conventional than the last one, and I honestly think it is a lot less weird than before; the infotainment setup is also much improved too, the last one was laggy and originally didn't even come with a volume knob.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
The new Civic interior is much more conventional than the last one, and I honestly think it is a lot less weird than before; the infotainment setup is also much improved too, the last one was laggy and originally didn't even come with a volume knob.
Conventional, bits of Honda E inspiration, which is refreshing imho.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
May is quite early for Toyota to start churning out next model year vehicles. I wonder why?