Official 8th Generation (2018+) 010B Camry Discussion

Motor

Expert
Reactions
The Toyota Camry returns to the UK this year.

The all-new eighth generation Camry combines the best in hybrid performance and efficiency with a stylish package, inside and out.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Nice that the Camry has truly become a fully global car again, thanks to Akio Toyoda's own suggestions I can imagine. He was really present in development for this generation, unlike hopping in the middle of the XV50's development back in June 2009 (design was already set). I recall NX development began in June 2009, which is when he stepped up to the mantle.

Anyway, where are the AWD variants? A number of folks said that the ES would get AWD in Europe starting in December 2018 and Avalon/Camry in spring 2019. I now look like an idiot for passing that around, not to mention Gecko got told similar. So what gives I wonder?

For the past 1.5 years, I've come across other engineers online responsible for developing the 2021 Camry. I've not been thinking about that 2021 car, but as we enter mid-2019, I guess I should. Weirdly enough, design work is finished for that car at this point. Usually facelifts at Toyota, are approved some 15/16 to 24 months before intro, unlike FMC at about 24 to 36 months (sometimes 42 mos on premium cars or Lexus flagships).

Is that when one should expect AWD for the GA-K cars, instead of MY 2020? I can only wonder and feel so stupid for believing 2020 MY claims. TRD cars came out, but AWD is delayed or what?

Last edited:

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I think we will have word in August, and from what I've heard, AWD is coming indeed.

What's the word on the 2021 refresh, @Carmaker1 ?

I thought I already responded to this? Sorry!

I haven't really followed this car, other than some little supplier database info and then engineers working on it with MY 2021 designation or 2020 dates for CY. I knew it was too good to be true LOL, to hope halfway through the pre-MMC life that it would get AWD. Hopefully I'm wrong, as it will do wonders in Europe for GA-K cars and in Northern States/CA.

Are you saying in August will know if AWD is MY 2020? I think AA is coming too. Business wise, it would be wise to do that, so they can get people to switch over in 2020 models. Then add the ability to retrofit/install AA later during MY 2021 to older XV70 cars.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I thought I already responded to this? Sorry!

I haven't really followed this car, other than some little supplier database info and then engineers working on it with MY 2021 designation or 2020 dates for CY. I knew it was too good to be true LOL, to hope halfway through the pre-MMC life that it would get AWD. Hopefully I'm wrong, as it will do wonders in Europe for GA-K cars and in Northern States/CA.

Are you saying in August will know if AWD is MY 2020? I think AA is coming too. Business wise, it would be wise to do that, so they can get people to switch over in 2020 models. Then add the ability to retrofit/install AA later during MY 2021 to older XV70 cars.

Last time I looked at fleet order guides, I feel like it allowed for 2019 Camry ordering through July, but I can't recall exactly. I agree that Android Auto will come for 2020, bringing the Camry fully up to parity with competitors in the realm of infotainment. I'm excited for both AWD and the refreshed model... I really love the 8th gen, and Toyota has a track record of thoughtfully nipping and tucking any problem areas at the refresh. I think it'll be great.

I'm most curious to see if AWD will be standard/available on the TRD Camry and Avalon.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Hear me out.... I really really LOVE the looks of the car inside and out. It gives me emotion. A Camry.... Has anyone seen it parked next to a Maserati Ghilbi? It really feels Italian...

I've told my wife multiple times I am seriously flirting with one as a beater to have around. The price is right, the MPG is great the features are great and it looks great!

The thing is while I would love the white/red V-6 or TRD does it make sense at 35k or so? To me the base SE at 25k or so is an absolute bargain....

Did I mention I love how it looks?

Reactions
The thing is while I would love the white/red V-6 or TRD does it make sense at 35k or so? To me the base SE at 25k or so is an absolute bargain....
Some Camry owners on TN are getting the LE or SE for as low as $21-23K depending on region. The TRD version might sticker for $40K, which for what you get will make the XSE the better buy.

Will1991

Reactions
Is there any planned PHEV variant for this?

With every single new car based on TNGA platform I feel Toyota is loosing a lot of sales for not offering this option.... Look to the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, our RAV4 is a lot better but it's not available...

Reactions

With every single new car based on TNGA platform I feel Toyota is loosing a lot of sales for not offering this option.... Look to the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, our RAV4 is a lot better but it's not available...
Nope. Only one is the Prius Prime. Toyota shot themselves with the redesign of the car. I doubt the Camry would be the first one to get it now since sedans wouldn't be an area of sales growth now.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

The PHEV Avalon has been confirmed in China, and they are probably planning for a PHEV Camry as well. RAV4 PHEV is also on the horizon. Here is where 90% of their electrification efforts are so I can't say for other markets.

Nope. Only one is the Prius Prime. Toyota shot themselves with the redesign of the car.

Really surprised that they didn't update the Prius Prime's battery so it now has a worse electric range than the Corolla PHEV.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
The PHEV Avalon has been confirmed in China, and they are probably planning for a PHEV Camry as well. RAV4 PHEV is also on the horizon. Here is where 90% of their electrification efforts are so I can't say for other markets.

Really surprised that they didn't update the Prius Prime's battery so it now has a worse electric range than the Corolla PHEV.

THey need a total rethink on the Prius...

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
Well I suppose this is the best thread to post this but I am just reaching out to get some opinions incase I am going insane. I currently drive a 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4, 29k miles and in immaculate condition. I am looking for something with better mpg. I love the Tacoma don't get me wrong but the fuel savings in a car and maybe having a cheaper "beater" truck would be a better option for me. The local Toyota dealer has a 2019 Camry XSE in Pearl White sale priced at $28,150. The Camry XSE is sharp and at that price with 39 mpg's its very appealing. So my question is, do you think I could get the Camry by even trading my truck or even asking for some cash with my truck for the car? Thanks!

Motor

Expert
Reactions
^Shop around and see what you can get. Also, be aware of any end of the year deals.

Toyota Camry Nails All The Important Stuff, Headlining Company's Sedan Commitment
From the rubble, Toyota's midsize Camry has emerged as the leading testimony to the strategy of staying in a sedan category that, company officials believe, will level out at about 30 percent of the U.S. market long-term. So far this year, Camry sales have declined by only about 1 percent compared with a year earlier, as the model remains Toyota's best-selling sedan and its No. 2-volume nameplate in America to the RAV4 SUV.

The 2019 version of Camry -- which is part of the eighth generation of the venerable nameplate that was introduced for 2018 -- demonstrates why Toyota can continue to ride the vehicle with confidence. Toyota hasn't done much freshening for this year, mainly just adding Apple CarPlay and Amazon Alexa capabilities. But the newest generation remains an exemplar of why Toyota and Japanese competitors took over the U.S. sedan market in the first place: It checks the most important boxes in impressive fashion.

For one thing, credit Toyota's design overhaul of Camry for 2018 to a shape that's much more interesting, with an aggressive appearance and many new creases, which is in shape with the move of both Toyota and the luxury Lexus brand toward more dynamic exterior shapes throughout.

Move next to Camry's drivability. While Toyota specializes in smooth sailing across its lineups, Camry continues to perfect the kind of optimum drive that American consumers have come to expect from worthy sedans. Steering is right down the middle between keen and forgiving, exactly what the driver of this most mainstream of sedans wants, and improved over the seventh generation. Acceleration by the 1.5-liter, four-cylinder engine, with 203 horsepower, and especially by the optional V6, with 301 horsepower, is plenty smart and -- as with handling -- better than previous generations of the car. An eight-speed automatic transmission aids the fine performance.

Yet Camry continues to offer another of its hallmarks, segment-leading fuel economy. It's called "one of the most fuel-efficient non-hybrid midsize cars" by U.S. News & World Report, earning 29mpg in the city and 41 mpg on the highway in the four-cylinder version.
Toyota has been making a special point of bringing automated-driving systems and features to the mainstream of its lineup, and Camry illustrates the happy results of that determination. So, standard on the 2019 Camry are driver-assistance features including adaptive cruise control, a rear-view camera, forward-collision warning, pedestrian detection, lane-departure warning, lane-keep assist, and automatic high beams. Optional features include a head-up display, 360-degree camera, blind-spot monitoring, rear-cross-traffic alert and automatic rearward braking.

One more big thing: Toyota helps retain Camry's mainstream appeal with front and rear seating that is spacious enough for a broad range of sizes and shapes of people, and with clear and simple, almost intuitive internal controls. Cargo space is adequate: If someone wants to haul a lot of stuff in a Toyota, they'll buy an SUV. But Camry remains one of the best reasons that many Americans still like to drive sedans.

Reactions
Well I suppose this is the best thread to post this but I am just reaching out to get some opinions incase I am going insane. I currently drive a 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4, 29k miles and in immaculate condition. I am looking for something with better mpg. I love the Tacoma don't get me wrong but the fuel savings in a car and maybe having a cheaper "beater" truck would be a better option for me. The local Toyota dealer has a 2019 Camry XSE in Pearl White sale priced at $28,150. The Camry XSE is sharp and at that price with 39 mpg's its very appealing. So my question is, do you think I could get the Camry by even trading my truck or even asking for some cash with my truck for the car? Thanks!
Personally, I would keep the Tacoma and lease a Camry because of the incentives since the Tacoma holds its value much better than any Camry at this time.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

Their trucks hold value so well that leasing a base Camry may be the better option.

Reactions
I wonder if there's a way to get the all white/clear headlights from the Euro version for the U.S.? That would be an investment I'd be willing to do in the future.