Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-09-29-lexus-es-rendering-carscoops.jpg

New ES might just look this good.
View the original article post

D

DDas

I think the render looks awesome! There are a few things, though, that will help make it more realistic: the mesh grille is off. I feel it'll be more LS-like or updated CT-like. The headlights are slightly too large. The door handles would also probably follow the NX/RC/LS's new style. Other than those, Carscoops has been accurate in the past, so I could see it happening.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
This styling is awesome but I will be very disappointed if the F Sport is FWD.

To be honest, I would not expect a RWD platform for the ES, but... there's a chance in my mind that Lexus will want to fully distinguish itself from Toyota and build the ES on a version of the RWD GA-L platform, so all their sedans are RWD/AWD, much like Genesis is doing to distinguish itself from Hyundai. Fingers crossed.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
To be honest, I would not expect a RWD platform for the ES, but... there's a chance in my mind that Lexus will want to fully distinguish itself from Toyota and build the ES on a version of the RWD GA-L platform, so all their sedans are RWD/AWD, much like Genesis is doing to distinguish itself from Hyundai. Fingers crossed.

wouldnt that be GS then? ES is FWD.

I see mostly FWD A6's around Europe these days, mostly with 2.0 TDI and many of those have s-line packages. F-Sport will certainly be good enough in FWD, but if it actually replaces GS worldwide, I am sure it will also have an AWD version.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Looks alive! hope the actual car will stay close to this rendering the current ES looks a bit stodgy and appears big and cumbersome by comparison.
This one looks more sport orientated hopefully it will be lighter and more nimble and feel smaller once you are actually driving it. I do not have a problem with fwd the majority of this type of car are just that anyway.
Mesh grille should be standard through out do away with the slatted grille please Lexus.

joepac

Fan
Reactions
Nice rendering. I actually think this would be a good direction for the 4is but in RWD of course!

If this replaces the GS though I would be disappointed. FWD in a "sports sedan" is a non starter for me. :(

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
I like those concave wheels. the coupe like shape reminds me of the 3GS.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
This thing is so good looking, I am amazed. If Lexus keeps the GS, and it looks as good or better than this ES, I will be SO happy!

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
This looks really good. As far as I can see, they are designing a car that includes GS features. So, it would appear that the GS is out. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that it appears that we might get a new generation GS F. Can Lexus discontinue the GS but retain the GS F? I don't think so.

Anyway, this car looks hot. If I was at Lexus, I would have a number of different trims, including a base FWD car, a hybrid, etc. Then offer more high end trims with more powerful engines and changes in facia that would capture the GS lover market.

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
I find it interesting that all renderings have a pronounced Hofmeister Kink when the ES will most likely remain FWD. (The Hofmeister Kink is supposed to indicate RWD).

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I find it interesting that all renderings have a pronounced Hofmeister Kink when the ES will most likely remain FWD. (The Hofmeister Kink is supposed to indicate RWD).

These are not Hofmeister Kinks because they are too acute. It's a similar design to the 5LS and 18' Camry and will probably be the standard for future TMC sedans.

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
These are not Hofmeister Kinks because they are too acute. It's a similar design to the 5LS and 18' Camry and will probably be the standard for future TMC sedans.
I think we might disagree on when the angle can be considered a Hofmeister Kink or not. Can we agree that the current RWD IS has a Hofmeister Kink? If so, then so does this latest rendering which is a carbon copy of the angle form the IS.

BMW originally used this to hint at RWD (or rear wheel bias in case of AWD), but it seems like other car makers use the design cue to indicate various things (such as grade of luxury). For Lexus the current design language seems to use a hard transition when RWD (See the IS, GS and LS) and a softer transition for FWD (See ES, NX, RX).
This is what I was referring to in my comment, but this is based on observation and the next LS seems to go against this design cue with a soft transition on an RWD platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.