Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
That's the sad news as reported by Australia's Motoring. Here's the article:

No plans for new Lexus IS F
by Feann Torr
October 28, 2019
Japanese BMW M3 rival unlikely in near future, but 'posture control' will bring new level of performance to Lexus F cars

It comes as no surprise that the rumbling naturally-aspirated 5.0-litre V8 that was the calling card of the Lexus IS F is on life support.

Emissions regulations are slowly killing big V8s and it now seems even a turbocharged six-cylinder Lexus IS F halo car may be shelved as well.

So, has the Lexus IS F been scratched?

“How do I answer that question?” said Scott Thompson, Lexus Australia’s chief executive.

“It’s one of my favourite cars that we’ve ever produced, [but] there’s no plans at the moment [to release another one],” said Thompson.

Lexus previously said it would consider slotting its 310kW/600Nm twin-turbo 3.5-litre V6 from the flagship LS 500 limousine into the next-generation Lexus IS F.

While that model was predicted to lob around 2022 at the earliest, this latest news casts a pall over whether a new IS F will happen at all, be it six- or eight-cylinder.

Lexus has not launched an IS F sports sedan for an entire generation, instead focusing on the RC F coupe models.

The current Lexus IS series was introduced in 2014 and is expected to be replaced by an all-new model post-2020, based on a rear-drive version of Toyota’s lighter, more advanced TNGA platform architecture.

High-performance mid-size luxury cars are big business, with the likes of the BMW M3, Mercedes-AMG C 63 and Audi RS 4 all commanding not only strong sales – and profits – but providing trickle-down desirability for the volume-selling models on which they’re based.

Of the three Germans, only one of them offers a V8 in the medium prestige car segment — the Mercedes C 63, which still has a 4.0-litre twin-turbo V8. There is speculation that Lexus will develop an all-new engine for its hard-core F models but it’s keeping its cards close to its chest at this stage.

Lexus Australia’s chief executive reckons cars like the RC F, RC F Track edition, GS F and LC 500 – all of which continue to use the soon-to-be-retired 5.0-litre V8 – fill the gap left by the IS F, despite being significantly more expensive.

Thompson conceded that the percentage of high-performance Lexus F cars it sells is “smaller than our [German] competitors”.

But there is a ray of hope on the horizon for lovers of high-performance Lexus cars, in the form of the just-announced (and still conceptual) ‘posture control’ that debuted on the 400kW Lexus LF-30 concept car.

“I think Australia is definitely a market that loves its sports variants and performance vehicles, and I think what you’ve seen in terms of ‘posture control’, as they’ve called it … you’ll see the performance opportunities that delivers in terms of our vehicles, and I think the F brand will be very much a part of that,” said Thompson.

“Posture control is bigger than just simply propulsion. It’s about what electrification can deliver to the vehicle in terms of its performance. Posture control looks at the adaptive nature of the vehicle — turning as well as propulsion and other aspects to improve performance.

“I can’t definitively tell you about the time frame, but in terms of the LF-30, some of those technologies you’ve seen and heard about will come well inside that [2030] timeframe.

“We want to make the driving experience more fun, re-engaging the driver. This type of tech is supposed to learn with you, grow with you, and improve your ability as a driver.”

Lexus is clearly not walking away from its high-performance F sub-brand, but volume-selling models like the IS F will be necessary weapons to fight its German competitors and prop up its top-selling sedan.

As it stands, the three most popular cars in its range are SUVs — the Lexus NX, UX and RX in that order. The Lexus IS is the fourth best-seller for the brand.

The question is: will the Japanese brand’s new dynamic driveline tech make Lexus sports coupes like the RC F (and the potential LC F) special enough to compensate for the lack of a new IS F sports sedan?

https://www.motoring.com.au/no-plans-for-new-lexus-is-f-121296/

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I have a feeling that the push to electric performance may have upended a lot of Lexus' other plans (e.g. GS-F, now IS-F).

Thompson conceded that the percentage of high-performance Lexus F cars it sells is “smaller than our [German] competitors”.

That part bothers me a bit. I hope they didn't use that as an excuse. "We aren't doing a good job of it, so we aren't going to try to do a good job of it."

Overall excited to see where the F line goes, but they can't let us have another LS-esque wait on the milestone models.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
If the Tesla Model 3 can beat the G20 BMW 330i and Genesis G70 as per Edmund's review a couple of months ago, I think Toyota/Lexus can easily beat many of its competitors once it fully electrifies some of its sedans (IS, GS, LS).

Heck, even Honda E reviews from Fully Charged three months ago is very positive. It's not that hard to make a good electric car especially when Lexus already has all those F models and have proven it can make cars with really good steering feel and handling dynamics. It's already proven its prowess in hybrid technology too.

It's going to be a long waiting game but it will be fulfilling.

Check this thread on expected residual values for the Taycan lol:

MF: 0.00300
Residual: at 15K, 39 months
4S: 48%
Turbo: 40%
Turbo S: 37%

12K: Add 2%
10K: Add 3%
7.5K: Add 4%

Last edited:

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I’ll be honest don’t understand the lack of F models. We have the engine they can’t figure out how to put it in the IS. NX? UX? Anything besides the RCF and GSF? I love cars but not like into all the details on how to build cars and such is it that hard to come up with these F (M or AMG or S) model designs and such?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-10-28-lexus-is-f-nada.jpg

Lexus will not be building a high-performance version of the next-generation IS sedan according to a Motoring Australia interview with Australia brand CEO Scott Thompson:

So, has the Lexus IS F been scratched?
“How do I answer that question?” said Scott Thompson, Lexus Australia’s chief executive.
“It’s one of my favourite cars that we’ve ever produced, [but] there’s no plans at the moment [to release another one],” said Thompson.

This runs counter to rumors earlier this year from Japanese website Response, who reported that Lexus was planning an IS F with the brand’s 3.5L twin-turbo V6 from the LS 500.
Even so, the IS sedan has already gone a full generation with a high-performance variant, making this just more of the...

Continue reading...

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I am hoping they put a unique spin on their performance vehicles in the interim period to pure electric.

High revving V8s with the low-end torque of electric motors would still give you the satisfaction of driving the current F cars with contemporary performance. Plus i would imagine that without a turbo between the V8 and the exhaust, you'd also get the pure exhaust note.

I figure if you're building a dedicated performance vehicle, losing trunk space is already sort of a given (or possibly losing the rear seats for a storage shelf), so accommodating the batteries isn't too much of a loss.

Not sure how you deal with the weight issue, unless they really prioritize it. From what I understand, though, the LC is heavier than the RC F. Does anyone know how likely it is that the new GA-L would allow for meaningful weight savings? Could you just torque to way to a solution?

GNS

Follower
Reactions
The question is: will the Japanese brand’s new dynamic driveline tech make Lexus sports coupes like the RC F (and the potential LC F) special enough to compensate for the lack of a new IS F sports sedan?

The answer: whenever one is faced with a headline or a provocative statement that ends in a question mark, is "no".

I don't even know what to think about Lexus' approach to the IS anymore. As carmaker1 said, no filing for engine regulations paperwork (or whatever) no hair nor hide for any potential IS mules - just concept renderings and wild speculation.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It is impossible for Lexus to challenge the dominance of M and AMG because they basically skipped a whole generation of F products and without the brand-building process a new IS-F would be DOA anyway.

What will eventually kill all ICE performance sedans is battery scalability: a BEV becomes naturally faster when it gets more range. Performance is too accessible and cheap in the EV era.

Think about all the 500+hp EVs that will appear in the next two or three years. When even established names like the M3 and C63 are under serious threat, IS-F will just be irrelevant. Just look at TM3 sales figures, numbers don't lie.

The most unsettling thing about the IS by far is the lack of rumors about a full electric version. That's basically the only way to get an IS-F right unfortunately.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
That's a big disappointment and a loss for Lexus not to bring back the IS F. Lexus needs to expand it's F line. The RC F, GS F and soon LC F won't be complete without an IS F...

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
On one hand enthusiasts are angry that Lexus isn't doing the same as MB/BMW and having one F per model.

On the other, enthusiasts are also angry that Lexus isn't rowing towards their own lane of extreme plush, quiet, dreamy luxury.

Look, not everybody can be pleased. MB and BMW did not start their performance lines with every available model. They started small and built the brand, they did what was good for them and what their customers were liking. Lexus has no doubt received much more favorable reviews after they have concentrated on the driving experience aspect, most negative reviews on Lexus for the last few years has just been about the infotainment, which IMO is an overall huge positive for Lexus.

Lexus' LS line did well when it was the clear value option, but as time passes and Lexus builds their brand/heritage, they had to up their prices. Perhaps at those prices, buyers prefer MB/BMW since they will receive the benefit of the badge, and thats why we see Lexus doing so well in their sweet spot mid level price range.

There is also no evidence that the customers will pay the new Lexus prices if they went back to the "Passionate Pursuit of Perfection", champagne-glass-on-the-hood, days.

I do agree that Lexus is playing catch up since they aren't leading major trends as they tend to take longer time to react to the fast changing culture. I'm sure we all know here it wasn't that Lexus didn't believe in electric, instead they doubled down on hybrid because they wanted to skip electric and go directly to Hydrogen. Maybe that was the wrong call, maybe not, we still don't know the future of hydrogen yet but we do know its not getting the attention due to Tesla. Its a hard balance to be the cool agile brand that adapts to culture quickly, but also maintain the reputation of being the highest reliability in the industry. Look how long they took to adapt Carplay and Android, they had to learn the, "if you can't beat them join them" saying, the hard way on this one and I hope Lexus takes those lessons to heart.

thtupid

Fan
Reactions
Maybe the LS engine (I doubt it would happen though) wont contribute to an actual F model but instead a flagship IS500? That would still be nice wouldn't it?

GNS

Follower
Reactions
So I read a rumor which stated that the next gen IS (not the IS-F) will be on the TNGA platform, but will likely use the 2GR-FKS V6 (which is still a great engine, honestly, I'd pick it over a 2.4T 4 banger). Any credence to this rumor?

Last edited:

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
On contrary new generation IS will be make it or break it for RWD Lexus future but oh boy do they have the tough climb this time around. C and 3 have pushed the envelope way too far this time, I've said it before new IS needs to be baby sized carbon copy of LS both inside, outside, fit and finish, material quality and technology wise in order to stand a chance against German competition. They are already down on the engine department cause they don't have an engine that can rival twin turbo six cylinder competition. Rumored 2.5 Turbo is supposed to be somewhere in between German fours and sixes and 300h will be a carryover. If there was a time for '07 performance hybrid agenda to make a return it is now in new IS500h cause they got nothing else right now.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
On contrary new generation IS will be make it or break it for RWD Lexus future but oh boy do they have the tough climb this time around. C and 3 have pushed the envelope way too far this time, I've said it before new IS needs to be baby sized carbon copy of LS both inside, outside, fit and finish, material quality and technology wise in order to stand a chance against German competition. They are already down on the engine department cause they don't have an engine that can rival twin turbo six cylinder competition. Rumored 2.5 Turbo is supposed to be somewhere in between German fours and sixes and 300h will be a carryover. If there was a time for '07 performance hybrid agenda to make a return it is now in new IS500h cause they got nothing else right now.

Personally speaking, I'm done with anything that has a turbo 4 cylinder. 6 cylinder naturally aspirated / turbo is my new starting point. But I hear you on the IS and what they have to do to keep up.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Personally speaking, I'm done with anything that has a turbo 4 cylinder. 6 cylinder naturally aspirated / turbo is my new starting point. But I hear you on the IS and what they have to do to keep up.

Early morning news have pretty much confirmed Mazda's new big engine, most likely biturbo i6. If Mazda can do it and if Nissan can do it only so it could drop it in very limited Infiniti RWD vehicles that don't even sell in five figures globally over a period of 30 days I see no reason why Toyota can't. Weird stuff.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
Early morning news have pretty much confirmed Mazda's new big engine, most likely biturbo i6. If Mazda can do it and if Nissan can do it only so it could drop it in very limited Infiniti RWD vehicles that don't even sell in five figures globally over a period of 30 days I see no reason why Toyota can't. Weird stuff.

Do you have the link to the news? Also, I think this is a case of Toyota being way too conservative for its own good, in this respect. They added sport mode this, sport styling that, TRD Camry (!), 6MT with rev matching on hatchbacks, but they won't open up their bottomless vaults of money to put a twin turbo V6 in the IS / IS-F?

Reactions
Do you have the link to the news? Also, I think this is a case of Toyota being way too conservative for its own good, in this respect. They added sport mode this, sport styling that, TRD Camry (!), 6MT with rev matching on hatchbacks, but they won't open up their bottomless vaults of money to put a twin turbo V6 in the IS / IS-F?

Toyota doesn't give a flying sh*t about consistency. All they see is P R O F I T.